Kicker motor size for 16ft aluminum

Hi

I have a 97 Sylvan 16 Ft aluminum with a 75hp engine. My trolling speed is really hard to control. I think this year I will need to get a kicker on a :( budget !!

Does the kicker have to be a 9.9hp? Or can I get away with a 5 or 6 HP motor, or even less?

Any ideas? Thanks

I had a 9.9 on a 16 ft I had and it pushed the boat nicely, also had a 4 hp on a boat which was a little small. I would think a 6 hp would be perfect, but one thought might be to get a 8 or 9.9 hp and take it to the next boat. I bought a nice Yamaha 8hp high thrust and will be moving it to the next boat I buy (whenever that is), but I took it off my previous boat and have it on the current boat.

Think about  how much more added weight you can put on the transon and how you entend to mount it.The four stroke is a lot heavier than the two stroke,I ran a 3.9 merc.on an older 16ft. that was great till it got rough, then it wasn't enought. Theres a ton of 5.5 to 7.5 two strokes out there on Cregs list that look good. I think a good running 6hp four stroke would be a nice quiet trolling setup.

Mine were long shaft, on one of the boats I had to put a kicker bracket on as there was not enough room for the motor to sit on the transom. Have to measure your transom to see if you would need a long or short shaft. On my current boat 17.6 superfisherman a long shaft is perfect length for hanging off the transom. You want the ventilation plate to be in line with the bottom of the boat where it's mounted.

To get away cheap you can also use a drag bag or two to slow you down. There around $35.00 from Amish Outfitters. I us two, one each side, and you go in a nice straight line. One bag tends to pull you to the side.

anything less than an 8hp in a 4 stroke will be single cyl and will run a little 'rough'. I had a 8 on my 16' lund rebel - handled the weight fine (the new 4 stks are lighter) and trolled all day and a couple gallons of gas

I had a 5 hp kicker on my 1650 Crestline and yes it was "rough". A little loud but great on gas and was more then enough on most days. Some times when the Wind was blowing I wish I had a bit more. Mostly to help with boat control but it was worth the money just for the fuel alone. And a back up motor is always a good thing saved my but last year in my new boat when my main died on me.

anything less than an 8hp in a 4 stroke will be single cyl and will run a little 'rough'. I had a 8 on my 16' lund rebel - handled the weight fine (the new 4 stks are lighter) and trolled all day and a couple gallons of gas

i have a 2009 6hp Yamaha 4 stroke that runs extremely smooth and quiet

You risk taking a swell over the stern with too much weight on the transom of a small width boat. An extra tank and the battery are needed to be considered also. You may best be getting a small four stroke engine like a forty HP that can troll as you need.