Launched out of Hamlin today marked a lot of fish 55-60 FOW so dropped the riggers and sent out the a few jumbo dipsy divers. Hooked three Lakers and a king. All was going excellent for first time west of Hughes. Then one of the rods with a dipsy and a Michigan stinger chicken wing starts screaming, No Laker hear!! Started fighting her and pow she is off! reel it in and snubbers broke. didn't have time to lay down the rod and the other dipsy with a blue glow alewife starts to scream, no laker hear!! Pow that one is gone. You guessed it broken snubber. Stupid Stupid Stupid! Moral of the story don't be stupid like me check your snubbers... :envy:

post-150747-0-55768100-1432341949_thumb.jpg

I had one break last year also, interesting topic, do I keep the same leader length? I wonder how many others don't use snubbers.

I use 10' leaders for spoons and 6'/leaders going to f/f.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMO snubbers help to do two things, one they keep your dipsy from spinning, two they take the "shock hook tear out" from happening on wire dipsy rods, ( no stretch). I always set the drag to just click out a bit so as not to be set too tight. Keep killing em Sholly!

I've been using snubbers for 25yrs and never broke one. I fished a Pro-am on another boat a couple years ago and they didn't use snubbers. They said they never had a breakoff. First fish, first morning hits the dipsy and I grab the rod and one quick rip and snap, fish gone. They were using 50lb leaders. HHHmmm I think I'll stick with snubbers. For what it's worth I use the Dream Weaver snubbers.

Total Chaos

Quick question, what brand of snubbers is everyone using that you loose everything?  I stick with the LJ snubbers, they have (or at least had) a length of Dacron cord that is about the length of the extended snubber.  I've had a few that the rubber broke but the cord kept everything from being a sacrifice to the fishing gods. 

Quick question, what brand of snubbers is everyone using that you loose everything? I stick with the LJ snubbers, they have (or at least had) a length of Dacron cord that is about the length of the extended snubber. I've had a few that the rubber broke but the cord kept everything from being a sacrifice to the fishing gods.

That's interesting, web site for them??