Daiwa Interline Downriggin Rods

Yankee I saw a charter captian at the show last night that said he knew you Dream weaver charters?I also looked at the inlines at the diawa booth and do they look weird.I myself don't know if the line that runs thru the blank would take the pressure of the rod bending I mean the line would be in contact all the time with the blank do you think that it would sooner or later eat into the blank?What is the inside of the blank coated with or is it just the rod material?I think they are to new.The guy that was there didn't have a clue,It's all about saltwater out my way the only Lake Ontario stuff that was here were a couple of charter captians.

I have one that I bought the first year they came out matched up with a Penn 875LC. The pole is a little wimpy but I have caught a lot of salmon on it. I beef up to 30lb. test line when the fleas come out and have never had a problem. I also like the butt on it really soft rubber so it doesnt bruise your stomach when fighting a fish for 20 minutes.

I have one that I bought the first year they came out matched up with a Penn 875LC. The pole is a little wimpy but I have caught a lot of salmon on it. I beef up to 30lb. test line when the fleas come out and have never had a problem. I also like the butt on it really soft rubber so it doesnt bruise your stomach when fighting a fish for 20 minutes.

Burt

Yankee,i have an interline rod that i'll give you for free.I bought it a few years ago and used it once.I got it to try on a braided dipsy,but didn't see a big advantage of it over a regular rod.

It's a Cabelas fifty dollar white heavy action,i think it's 8-1/2 or 9 feet long(can't remember,i'm at work,rods home.)

Although it was bright white originally,it has yellowed some,just sitting in my den .

I f your interested you can have it for whatever it cost to ups it.

King Me was using them when I fished with him during the Sodus Pro-am. They were working fine. We did not have fleas at the time though becasue the north wind had the low temp up in the water column. I do not know if he is still using them.

I would think that fleas would be a pain with them.

I like the interlines. There are two problems though:

#1) The biggest problem is when you break off and the line comes out of the rod... it is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS to get the line back through the rod.

#2) The fleas foul up the tip, not too bad, but enough where you can't put a spoon in the water and freespool it out, you actually need to yank the rod a bit to get it to pull the line out (also makes #1 even harder).

Other than that, I love the feel you get when fighting a fish. I feel the eyelid rods take a lot of the feel out of the fight. You don't really notice it until you use the interlines for a while. I use one of each on my downriggers and prefer to fight a fish on the interline.

Nick

I accidently broke one once, if I remember correctly the inside was just smooth. Imagine putting your line through a piece of PVC.

IMO, you have a lot more "rub" on guides... your lines is rubbing over 10 points (if you have 10 guides), where as with the interline, it's rubbing over and infinite #s of points, so it's much smoother. You get a much smoother bend in the rod as well.

Nick

Bobs boy that make sense thanks alot Like I said I just saw one and they were different.I have so many rods right now I don't need any but maybe when I do I will try one any Idea what they cost?Thanks again for answering my question.

I have run them on big boards, the plus being that you don't have to worry about the planer line, or another rod for that matter, catching a guide, pulling the rod from the holder and causing a rod to fall into the drink. As for re-stringing them after a break off, just keep the stiff line they give you in your box and it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Guest ReelDiel

my question is this if its over infintie points does that create more or less friction/heat as compared to 10pts? Which could break down the line. I know i have heard of Steve (king me) using them so they must work pretty well

Guest ReelDiel

u would think....i just know a good bass rod has more guides as to keep the line from touching the blank when fighting a big fish and the rod is bent to the max. thats why its important to match rod size to line size. And more guides keep the load evenly distrbuted like you said. But i think thats why the line guides are made out of ceramic or Stainless to discipate heat. Maybe the inside of those innerflow has a special coating?

yankee-

I have been running innerlines for 3 years now without any problems and I will never go back to a standard rod for downriggers!!!!!!!!!

I will let you check them out this season.

Have a friend who bought 4 when they first came out. He found out as Billy and others have mentioned (here and on the GLA site), that fleas were a problem for him as the tip would sometimes load up. He put his away when fishing infested waters. Asked him for his opinion,which I value highly for I thought about purchasing several myself, and he didn't think they were worth it. He did say that they stored nice with no guides, but felt the flea issue outweighed that benefit. Just one mans' opinion however.