Next weekend pro/am tourny......

I see both sides of the argument.

I personally don't have a problem weighing three fish against anyone charter or no. At the same time, this event is advertised as a Pro/Am and there is actually no amateur division. 

For the good of the event and to encourage people to join in, I'd like to see either 1) A true Am only division where no member of the crew is a Pro or 2) A straight up 3, 7, and 12 fish event, with separate entries, open to all, and the team picks which event (or events) you want to compete in. For example, you want to concentrate on just a few big fish you sign up for 3 and/or 7 fish events, and if you want to concentrate more on numbers you sign up for the 7 and/or 12 events. Some teams will join all three.

Frankly I wouldn't mind a "Pro" team entering the 3 fish event if they were also fishing the 7 and/or 12. Unless the fishing is really hot, that "Pro" team is going to have to spend some of the day filling out the 12 fish box and while the "Am" team can concentrate of just three heavies the entire day. In this kind of scenario I think any advantage a "Pro" team might have would be negated - they might even be at a disadvantage.

Do you guys honestly consider a pro team a charter that does an ave of 5 trips a year!!!!!! That was me a few years ago when I was getting started. We need to get off the fact that all charters are pros! A lot of "pros" including myself couldn't hold the jock strap of a ton of amateurs! My god, when I did it it was to get a few buddies to do some tourney fishing for a day or 2. Charter guys that do it for a living won't waste there time for this!!!!! I'm done. Good night. Astalavista baby. Lol

silverfoxcharters.net

Let's keep the word "Pro" out of this. Obviously, that word is used loosely....I won't mention and names.....Freakin Creepers. 

If you obtain a Captains License to use take people out fishing for money you have to think in your mind you can catch them their limit, and that you have enough experience to showcase what our resource has to offer. They aren't coming back to fish with you if you cant do that. So, that being said why do you want to enter a division where some guys only fish once or twice a month? Play with the big boys if you are taking money from paying customers. If not, there are plenty of 1 day events that everyone plays in throughout the season.

<~~~~~ had a captains license 5 years now.. I don't run any trips. I'm too busy with my other job. I am lucky if I fish trout and salmon 15 days a year. Partially because a walleye addiction. Should I be able to run amateur? Just curious.

Honestly, I think the only true advantage a "pro" has when going up against a well-rigged amateur is time on the water.  If you're like me, and usually only have time to get out once a week, there's not much pre-fishing available and its more about the current conditions and where the fish are.  If you get on fish and know what you are doing with your presentation, it's anyone's game.  The pro's just have a lot more seat time to know exactly where the bite is going on. 

<~~~~~ had a captains license 5 years now.. I don't run any trips. I'm too busy with my other job. I am lucky if I fish trout and salmon 15 days a year. Partially because a walleye addiction. Should I be able to run amateur? Just curious.

I don't have a captains license but do have a nasty walleye addiction that eats up more of my time. Unfortunately I can catch walleye way better than salmon and trout. I think it doesn't matter which you fish but should be able to fish the AM division.  I mean there are always exclusions to a rule.

I am sorry for falling behind and missing this thread. Not that I entered and probably should have but I have a 27' boat with an 8'6" beam and run to riggers and 6 others rods at one time generally. So if the guy who started this is afraid because he can't run enough gear in the water there are 2 simple things he can do. 1.) don't enter and 2.) buy a bigger boat then.

Oh yah forgot I usually don't get out of my seat to set anything up, I have usually one guy sometimes 2 working the back of the boat so does this mean I have to enter the Pro division. Rhetorical question obviously. If your intimidated by the size and the amount of gear then simply don't join it. I am no pro by any means, learning stuff every time I go out and I have been fishing the lake for 30 years. Sometimes I get lucky which is actually most of the time and other times well it's fishing. I don't have my license yet but damn straight I run MY boat just as if I did reguardless of space and how many other guys are around me bigger and smaller. A lot of the regulars don't know me but in this season or the next they will hear my name thrown around just as other names are mentioned every day. Simple matter of the fact is get your confidence up and your programs straight, throw your money in the pot and go fishing and don't think of it as a tournament just FISH !!!!!!

Very Simple guys!

amateur

a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

Compare professional.

Edited by troubles

This topic has come up every season and almost at every tourney. You will be safe. Best bet is to wait til the big guys go and the wake settles then go. I used to be that way then I bought a bass boat, yah you learn really quick how to control a boat during a shotgun start between the wakes and speed.

You have every right to voice your opinions.  I think it's unprofessional and ignorant to tell a newcomer to take their ball and go home.  Don't like it don't fish it?  Really guys?  Thought the whole point of the rec open was to bring new guys into the tourney scene.  Now you tell them don't fish it if they don't like it? 

I wonder why participation is low? 

I don't understand why there is such confusion with this issue? If you have a captains license and charge people to take them fishing you are a "pro". It has nothing to do with wether you cancatch fish or not!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You have every right to voice your opinions.  I think it's unprofessional and ignorant to tell a newcomer to take their ball and go home.  Don't like it don't fish it?  Really guys?  Thought the whole point of the rec open was to bring new guys into the tourney scene.  Now you tell them don't fish it if they don't like it? 

True statement.  I think this subject has just gotten really old and a lot of us are just tired of hearing the same old points when they really hold no merit.  About 5-6 years ago the Am side of the Pro Am got an (at the time) unwanted makeover.  

Without reopening that old wound, the skinny version is that the Am division was dropped and the Open was added in it's place.  If you want an interesting 9 page read on the subject, here is the link to that topic from back in 09

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/7415-2009-pro-am-rule-changes/

There were a few years following when there was no place for those guys that were in the middle to fish.  We didn't want the Open, yet were not interested in a 12 fish a day format with an observer because that's a minimum of 4 guys limits PLUS an observer and that blows on a small boat.  The open division none the less was born and it was OPEN to everyone.  Yes, a charter guy or two fished it a couple/ few years back, but who cares??  You see the name and get all intimidated, but how do you know they don't have a bunch of kids or newbs just out for some fun?

No charter with a decent crew is going to fish the current open division - that's **** from a few years ago that just keeps coming up as if it was last year.

I have not been a big proponent of the Niagara Pro Am because of how they have dealt with Amateur teams over the past half dozen years, so I've exercised my option to not be a verbal supporter OR fish it, but some things have changed and with those changes us amateurs actually have a place to fish again.......until the next change  :doh:

The current format with it's classic box and trophy box format gives a guy like me a place to fish.  Even if I run my small old boat with an inexperienced crew I can compete in a 5 box big fish format.  That's perfect for me and my son so I have changed my stance and hope to again become involved. This year work just didn't allow it.

So, with this newer format why would a charter disgrace themselves and fish the open where the pay out sucks ??   They won't, so get over it and move on.  

Fish the tournament in whatever division gets you to commit, because having teams enter is the only way these tourneys will continue to exist.

Edited by Fishtails

Let's keep the word "Pro" out of this. Obviously, that word is used loosely....I won't mention and names.....Freakin Creepers.

Oh boy !!! Here we go.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Omg this again. Its a 3 fish Tourny, not 12. Its only 1 step up from the loc luck Tourny. Just freaking go fish and have some fun already!

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol go get em Scott! Lotta big fish caught out of tin cans over the years.

The fish know little of the boats up above.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

OK so big boat theory and experience and time on the water is out the window just finished up day one on the pro side, and i think the open board guys all had bigger boxes than me what the heck lmao bad choices and missed opportunity on my part o well thats fishing. On the real side of things the committee dumped the AM- side of this and made the open set of rules because of (AM Team) count was way down and opening it up to other ports and letting anyone fish from anywhere was a way too get team count up and purse moneys up and it works for them so why would they do away with it or change rules. People that are shooting captains down for entering this are just hurting the tournament on the long run i think we need more captains and weekend warriors too put up 125 bucks and have at it. I also think the open side should be seeing more teams then the pro side of things I wouldn't let any of these Captains bashing other captains push me around and dictate your decision to sign up, read the rules and play buy them forget everything else and catch as many as you can and bring in your best 3 its as simple as that and after you win one or two and feel confident move up and take a shot at the big money. 

Edited by motoman