Next weekend pro/am tourny......

OK so big boat theory and experience and time on the water is out the window just finished up day one on the pro side, and i think the open board guys all had bigger boxes than me what the heck lmao bad choices and missed opportunity on my part o well thats fishing. On the real side of things the committee dumped the AM- side of this and made the open set of rules because of (AM Team) count was way down and opening it up to other ports and letting anyone fish from anywhere was a way too get team count up and purse moneys up and it works for them so why would they do away with it or change rules. People that are shooting captains down for entering this are just hurting the tournament on the long run i think we need more captains and weekend warriors too put up 125 bucks and have at it. I also think the open side should be seeing more teams then the pro side of things I wouldn't let any of these Captains bashing other captains push me around and dictate your decision to sign up, read the rules and play buy them forget everything else and catch as many as you can and bring in your best 3 its as simple as that and after you win one or two and feel confident move up and take a shot at the big money.

John I think that was the longest single sentence I've ever read!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The number of entrants seems low.  I for one would like to see the AM division come back.  If the committee wants to allow teams to get experience and gain confidence with the end game of joining the pro ranks then have the same rules as the pros.  Starting at any port at any time after 12:01 with a three fish limit and no observer is NOTHING like the pro division.  Have an am division with a 12 fish limit and same start and finish time is more of a proving ground.  Bring back the prestige of the am division!

The number of entrants seems low.  I for one would like to see the AM division come back.  If the committee wants to allow teams to get experience and gain confidence with the end game of joining the pro ranks then have the same rules as the pros.  Starting at any port at any time after 12:01 with a three fish limit and no observer is NOTHING like the pro division.  Have an am division with a 12 fish limit and same start and finish time is more of a proving ground.  Bring back the prestige of the am division!

+1

Hey Chad, maybe you want to consider fishing the Sodus point pro am ?  The Am division it that one is great !!  

I like the Sodus format Rod.  For me it is a destination tournament that makes it tough.  Some day when the kids have their drivers license and can tow themselves around I can get away for three days.  See you at the Healing Waters event.

The number of entrants seems low. I for one would like to see the AM division come back. If the committee wants to allow teams to get experience and gain confidence with the end game of joining the pro ranks then have the same rules as the pros. Starting at any port at any time after 12:01 with a three fish limit and no observer is NOTHING like the pro division. Have an am division with a 12 fish limit and same start and finish time is more of a proving ground. Bring back the prestige of the am division!

And then those with "small" boats will ****, whine and complain about having to run out in dangerous wakes created by big boats. They will also complain about not having a big enough boat to accommodate all the people they need. They will also complain that they can't compete in the same format as the "pros" and it isn't fair.

Those are all ACTUAL complaints I received while on the ProAm committee. The ****ing and complaining will never stop. No matter what format is used.

End of rant.

Well its not a bad idea the issue I have the number of people you would need to put on your boat which would be 5. So if you don't have a big boat or a lot of HP(that's my issue) you can't fish the event.  but I love the idea of having some of the same rules and time limits.  Like having to weigh in at 12:30 is way to early in my opinion. 

But you are right something needs to be done there was only 28 or 29 teams in the pro division this past weekend when there used to be 50 to 60 teams just a few years ago.  I like the idea of doing what the Wilson invitational does with weighing in your best 6 fish, but instead of having one division have two divisions to keep it the Pro Ams.

Jim

I believe so, but the observer would need to have/get a fishing license. I recall in past tournaments the boat would buy the fishing license the observer didn't already have one.

Jim

I believe so, but the observer would need to have/get a fishing license. I recall in past tournaments the boat would buy the fishing license the observer didn't already have one.

Exactly. Accommodations were made for almost every scenario. Every time a LEGITIMATE issue was brought up it was addressed. In short, over a period of about 10 years the ProAm committee bent over backwards to accommodate requests and concerns from the Ams.

The final "end all" solution was the open division and, as we can all see, it's still being criticized. When I left the ProAm committee I told them that the Ams would never be satisfied and the end result would be a few hard core dedicated anglers. The entries for the past two years and posts like this confirm that I was right!

I'm going fishing this weekend. Join in and enjoy the fun and comraderie (or not)!

Am division is alive in Sodus and Oswego. It is building up the number of entrants again. Come on and
join us.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oswego-Pro-Am/546142425425498

https://www.facebook.com/SodusProAm?fref=ts

http://soduspointproam.com/

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/48654-2015-oswego-pro-am/

Shame it was killed down west. Maybe some day they will reconsider!

Edited by troubles

That format is nice.  I don't recall seeing any threads like this started on the East end tournaments..do you get any complaints?

You would have to ask Organizers! Don't believe there have been many!

Aside from format, the other major difference between the east end and west end Pro-Am's is the communication ruling: 

west end = open communication

east end = closed communication

It makes a big difference when you have to rely on your own skills and ability to find and dial in the fish versus having one boat in a group of friends (who may not even be in the tourney) find a hot bite and relaying that info to all his buddies who then capitalize on it.

As stated earlier, it boils down to what you are willing to put up with in the rules/regs/divisions/etc. as to whether you want to compete or not. Each tournament and format have their pluses and minuses - choose the ones you like and compete!! Don't let the notion of big boats and boastful captains yank your chain and deter you from entering - we're one of the smallest boats fishing against the "Big Boys" and have been able to hold our own (even in rough conditions).

Good luck to all this season - FISH ON!!!

You would have to ask Organizers! Don't believe there have been many!

There have ALWAYS been complaints about the AM division. The four tournaments used to be linked in a series which, in itself, was always the center of a huge debate.

I'm glad the east end Am division is going well.

Personally, I think we need three divisions--PRO, AM and WHINERS.

There have ALWAYS been complaints about the AM division. The four tournaments used to be linked in a series which, in itself, was always the center of a huge debate.

c'mon Paul never ever ever any whiners in Pro Division! LOL.

Thats laughable.

After fishing the proams in the amatuer division for quite a few years the major complaint I and alot of the other regulars had was you guys changing the freakin rules every year.

Fixing things that weren't broken while the pro division remained untouched.

It was "fixed" to the point that nobody fished it anymore when prior to the the "fixing" the am division had a good turnout.

Baffling to me why nobody could see this happening.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Thats laughable.

After fishing the proams in the amatuer division for quite a few years the major complaint I and alot of the other regulars had was you guys changing the freakin rules every year.

It was "fixed" to the point that nobody fished it anymore when prior to the the "fixing" the am division had a good turnout.

This post kinda reminds me of are government. Caps and periods for you Paul.

Edited by motoman

c'mon Paul never ever ever any whiners in Pro Division! LOL.

There's whiners in both divisions Greg. That's why I think there should be a separate whiners division.

Thats laughable.

Not laughable Glen. Not laughable at all. The rules were changed every year to try to accommodate a segment of the tournament population that made it their full time jobs to complain and criticize what was being offered. Any reasonable suggestions they made were implemented to try to appease them which it never did. Believe me, as the one writing the rules every year, I was sick and tired of the constant rule changes but went along with it "for the good of the series" and because "that's what they wanted". Glad I'm out of it now but sad to see some things will never change.

These changes were implemented without any feedback from the majority of the am fishermen Paul.

Every rule change pissed of a few more guys while we watched the pro division remain untouched.

If rules were changed to satisfy a couple boats it should not have been done and the entry level was on a slow but steady decline over the coarse of 3 or 4 years.

Open communication was the last nail in the coffin.

Edited by spoonfed-1