Gimbal Downrigger mounts ?

Was wondering in any of you folks have any experience with gimbal Downrigger mounts. I am in the process of rigging a boat and was wondering about the pros and cons. ???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use 2, 1 in each rod holder, then bolted a 2x6 from 1 to the other and bolted swivel bracket through 2x6 into gimbal. Works great since I hate drilling holes in the boat. Everything is bolted thru 2x6, rod holders etc. Take off to wash & wax boat or take kids tubing.

Chaz

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used 2 on my previous fiberglass boat. Worked well. Easy on, easy off. As previous poster stated just be careful if you are concerned about easy theft. I just took them out and put them in the locked cuddy. Never had a problem. 

the rod holders are very sturdy but im just wondering if they will wobble a lot when motoring or in choppy conditions. theft isn't an issue because I can lock the cuddy

I have never had them bounce around to much, the weight of the rigger keeps them in their place. Make sure they have the cut outs on the bottom that lock around the pin in the bottom of the rod holder

I've used them extensively on the Finger Lakes and Lake O since 2002 on my Whaler for Mag 10's (4 ft adjustable booms) without any problem whatsoever but as stated above make sure that the notches in the ends of the  mounts "lock into" the cross pins of the recessed tubes. I also have a third Digitroll (4 ft. boom)that is mounted on a pedestal that I move around on the four insets and they each fully support it without flexing or any other noticeable problems. I do store my downriggers after I put my boat to bed though or lock them in my vehicle when staying away from home. It is only a matter of unplugging them from the receptacle and lifting them out and I have never had to drill any holes in the boat other than for my depth finder wires and the transducer panel on the transom.

post-145411-0-62859200-1432599858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man