Henderson Harbor area

Hi everyone, I've been fishing Lake Ontario for a few years now, but mostly for bass...We now have an adequate boat for trout and salmon fishing in Henderson Harbor. we also have a few downriggers... However, I'm very new to this type of fishing and any advice on where to fish near Henderson Harbor (cant travel too far with these gas pricesjavascript:emoticon(':cry:')

Crying or Very sad...) or tactics to use for trout and salmon for this time of year would be very helpful...

Steve DuFlo

Steve,

Find a reliable charter out of your area and book a trip. You will learn more in half a day than you could from tutorials. Pick one that will talk to you on the radio or cell phone in the future.

CC

I have been on a couple of charters that were all successful, thats what really hooked me on this kind of fishing. I am competent with the equipment and familiar with the tackle, but I really have no clue where to fish around the Henderson area...we went out this past saturday and fished the Black River Bay area for a day, no trout...although we did catch a 5 lb 1oz smallmouth, which we of course, we released because its out of season. So the bass just seem to find me, but i can't find a trout to save my life.

Steve

FH,

This time of year the Black River and the bays surrounding are being fished for walleyes. If you want Browns, then you will have to head towards Stony Point and around the tip down to the sands. You can also find browns out around the islands in the shallows and around the bars off the islands. Remember, Browns love structure, as do other Salmonoids, so get a good map and look for the structure in these areas, and you will have astarting point. As was said, book a chart with one of the top guides from up there, and aks him what some of the hot areas are. I will say that the area around the lighthouse will be starting to really fire off now. Good Luck, I moved the boat fromhenderson this year, so my reports will be from Mexico and Oswego. Good Luck.

Rich