Siwash Hooks

Is anyone removing trebels, and using the siwash stlye hooks from gamakatsu or owner manufactures? I have read posts saying that they can ruin good spoons, and I've had multiple people tell me that they are the first thing they change on the spoon before it even touches water. 

Do you remove the split ring and add the hook direct to the spoon? and what sizes do you like best? 

We use warriors, I asked mike steffs, the owner that question. His reply was it makes no difference. He uses singles on his own boat. We use the hooks they come with until they get bent up. Then replace with singles. It doesnt take long. I asked why not put singles on from the get go. His answer, they dont sell. Buy a small pack of stainless 3x and put it on a hot spoon. You wont look back. Im talking about standard trolling spoons and mags. They do alot less damage than trebles if you are C/R fishing. Leave the rings on ours. Rings let the hooks move around in the net without bending up the spoons.

Edited by baitrigger

baitrigger said it right on the mark...I've been using them for over 30 years on virtually all my spoons but used hardened stainless steel ones not the "cheapos" -big difference. I use the Mustad Siwash salmon hooks in sizes 2/0 and 3/0 for most and 1/0 for small spoons. If spoons such as Suttons come with solid rings I cut the trebles off and leave the ring alone and I use the existing split rings on others if they appear OK.

Thanks everyone - I have been doing the same. I have changed a couple of my "hot spoons" to singles and prefer them no questions asked. I have left the rings as well, and replaced some split rings with the triple split rings also. I like the solid rings but most of my spoons don't come with them unfortunately.....,.

baitrigger said it right on the mark...I've been using them for over 30 years on virtually all my spoons but used hardened stainless steel ones not the "cheapos" -big difference. I use the Mustad Siwash salmon hooks in sizes 2/0 and 3/0 for most and 1/0 for small spoons. If spoons such as Suttons come with solid rings I cut the trebles off and leave the ring alone and I use the existing split rings on others if they appear OK.

And how do you attach the new hook onto the solid ring or am I missing something here?

The hooks come "open" at the end from the factory. I use pliers to close them :) It is one of the reasons I like the Mustads and also I prefer the long point and short barb of them to other hooks because they make it easy to release fish without even touching them (just grip the hook with pliers at the side of the boat turn upside down and a small shake and they are off)

Edited by Sk8man

The hook sizes aren't always "standard" or completely consistent from different manufacturers sometimes but I'd say a 4/0 could be OK for salt water but a little big for most freshwater applications except maybe a super magnum spoon.

Edited by Sk8man

The hooks come "open" at the end from the factory. I use pliers to close them :) It is one of the reasons I like the Mustads and also I prefer the long point and short barb of them to other hooks because they make it easy to release fish without even touching them (just grip the hook with pliers at the side of the boat turn upside down and a small shake and they are off)

Ohhh ok. I never bought those type? I always bought the closed type. Thanks for the info.