Lucky Enuff 5/10 & 5/11 Bar Report

What a great weekend it was out of Wilson this past weekend.

5/10....Took out my buddy Ray, his 7yr old son Zane and my 9 yr old Justin. We set up several miles west of wilson around 7am and searched till 8am till we found our first king. Justin landed that one and within a half hour it was Zane's turn. I was beyond impressed with that kid!! His king made several 300 ft runs, but he never gave up and landed it solo.

Pq10D7eS.jpg

aV2oIMO9.jpg

Zane.....with his second big king.....

aV2oCpd9.jpg

Not to be out done by a 7 yr old, Justin landed a king on the 400 copper rod.

aV2oCEb0.jpg

We ended the day 11 for 12, with the boys landing 8 of the fish. Probably could have caught 20 had each battle not taken a half hour plus ;)

I finally got on a rod for the last fish of the afternoon, which we weighed in at 21 lbs.....missed the board by 9oz. Three of our fish were over 19 lbs, as was the one we lost.

Here are the boys with their fish.....I don't think I've ever seen my son more tired....a day I don't think any of us will ever forget.

aV2oDIwS.jpg

We were 4 for 5 on the copper rods, the rest of our action was on the riggers. No wire bites for us. 3/4 of our hits came on flasher/fly combos. We fished deeper than most guys I talked to.

5/11....No pictures from Sunday. We fished the same area for 2 1/2 hours before the weather turned and we headed in. Justin was too tired to join us. First fish was on the copper and Zane jumped right on it......for about 2 min :lol: He was drained from the previous day and handed the pole to his dad till the fish was in sight...then took over again till it was in the net. We did a quick 6 fish and got off the water. Biggest we got Sun. was around 18lbs.

All in all we were 17 for 20 with a lot of big kings. It would have been nice to make the board, but we fell just short on two fish. Maybe next year.

Heading back Memorial day weekend thru the Pro Am.....see some of you there!!

Thanks guys....I think we spoiled them a little, but those boys had the time of their life!!

Zane looked at me that night and said " I can't stop thinking about the sound of that screaming reel". I said "Zane, welcome to the club".....ya think he's hooked ? :lol::lol:

Pacific time.....both 300 & 400 copper rigs took fish for us.

FX....Justin will be 10 next year, and according to him, he will own the youth division :shock: :roll: ......let him pull in a few and all of a sudden he's Jimmy Houston :D

Rod,

Nice way to end a trip, I'm sure your glad you made the effort to hit spring kings out west this year. It's worth the effort, wait till the action gets hot, you'll need 5 kids to real em in. We may be out again late May, stay in touch.

Greg

Great pictures!!! I know exactly what you mean about the kids. Have been taking my son up to Lake O from Erie for the last 5 or 6 years. I hardly touch a rod the whole time except to set them up. We went 12 for 16 this past weekend and I only got to reel in the shakers. It's great to watch the kids with those bigger fish. Took another friend and his son this weekend and they caught their first kings. Great time. Wish we had found more of the bigger fish though.

Jeff Jackson

Rod, great job getting the boys into the kings. Ethan keeps asking when he gets to go on the bar trip but Mom is hesitant now. Maybe when he is 13 or 14.

Rod,

I am glad to see things turned out good for this weekend. Now you have the bug just like the rest of us, lol. Keep it up,I willbe intouch, way to go with the boys. The smiles say it all.

Rich

If you search a little coup, you will find plenty of info on this site about copper rigs. It's a copper line setup you run similar to leadcore, but it has a faster sink rate than core does.

The 300 & 400 is just how much copper line I had out to reach the fish I was targeting. Somedays it will take 500 or 600.

Rod,

Checked my calandar and it looks like Im free to join Team Cream ... I mean Lucky Enuff. We can discuss the details later. As this would be my first real turney ride I'm sooooooo excited. Thanks for the offer.

Greg

Rod,

Nice meeting you up there! You didn't miss much leaving when you did. We went double digits the next few days but nothing only one or two over 10lbs out of all of them! A lot of people had almost no luck. The weather wasn't all that great either. Looking forward to memorial day weekend, hopefully the fishing will pick up by then!

Nick

Same here Nick. Will you be back in Wilson with the boat? I'll be up with two buddies Memorial day weekend and we'll be fishin hard. We'll be out early so give us a call or I'll see you in the marina.

Glay you got into decent numbers.... It was hard leaving :lol::lol: