Sandy Creek /Olcott-new guys

If you saw a camouflage jon boat ,Sun or Mon , that was us.

Hit Sandy on Sun ,and were new to trolling Lake Ontario and gave it a shot.

First rod down , first five minutes ,bang lake trout, this is great.Used a screw on rigger , the one you get for $79.

The manual screw on rigger broke mid day.

Me and my two sons picked at fish and caught 6 lakers and 5 salmon , hottest thing

for us was 250 copper with just a spoon on the only tx-44 board I have ,we caught lakers and salmon on it using

orange and black , name ???( soo many spoons , soo many names ).

We even tripled at one point , tried to duplicate same thing , nothing.

We also caught fish on slide divers, with spoons and flies .Great day!!

Feeling like an expert now!!

Which brings us to Monday in olcott,Got a late start , left ramp at 8:00 or so , there were guys already cleaning fish ,

Heading out the gate more guys coming back yelling go to the tower,Ok Im no dummy, so off we go see the pack, lower gear ,

couple divers couple coppers , clocks ticking , see guys reeling them in , see guys netting , taking pictures with fish,hootin and hollerin,

not us . Change speed , change depth , change color, still nothing.

Im using a tiller handle , slow down for something ,maybe a tangle, whatever, bang!! 14 pound king hits the diver with flasher and spoon,

that was sinking fast,I'll take it my fourteen year old son reels em in. Wind is picking up, more and more

for an 18' jon boat, just before heading back , one more hit on a turn, lost em.

Other than the last one ,we landed all fish that hit.

I will post pictures later, need my kids to help do that.

Chuck

Check the classifieds here on LOU. There were a couple of ads and pretty reasonable prices. If not here watch craigslist under the search tab type down riggers

Honestly they are all great. Most boats I see either have the Scotty's or Cannon's. Both are easy to use and are basically a preference thing. I am a Cannon diehard, but for me Scotty can make me switch they way they keep upgrading there gear.

no problem.

Marked fish on bottom from 80 to 100 , which is where we caught some lake trout.

Salmon and laker in 90-110 using divers set at 75 and 100 and 125

and the 250 copper with just a spoon (depth ) going about 2.2 was our number for the salmon.

we did try different speeds , but that one worked for us.

if ur goin with a manuel get ones with a big diameter reel. I had a set of proos and loved them, buddy had cannons 10 they were great to.  The reel on the proos were twice as big as my bigjons. Makes for a much faster and easier bringing it up. Was graet for me with bad shoulders.

That  son loves the walking dead ,Lol.

Just depends on the day , not saying Im the smartest guy, On Monday we were the last guys on the lake

with the smallest boat.

Not worried about flipping over , but too much wind and its not fun .

We were out 140 fow a few times

I prefer the un beaten path, especially on memorial day weekend. It's a long way to troll to Braddock's from sandy creek and most people only make it 1/2 way there at best. That's where we start the day usually not end the day. I troll a lot of afternoons cause of kids school and I always do better where the boats haven't pounded away all morning. Sometimes you got to leave the pack even though you think there all together because there's a lot of fish under them. Fish get over pressure just like any animal hunted. Also it's the best way to stumble on your own personal hole

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I prefer the un beaten path, especially on memorial day weekend. It's a long way to troll to Braddock's from sandy creek and most people only make it 1/2 way there at best. That's where we start the day usually not end the day. I troll a lot of afternoons cause of kids school and I always do better where the boats haven't pounded away all morning. Sometimes you got to leave the pack even though you think there all together because there's a lot of fish under them. Fish get over pressure just like any animal hunted. Also it's the best way to stumble on your own personal hole

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Noooooooo don't go to lighthouse! No fish over there! My posted signs are on bouys there...... Lol

silverfoxcharters.net