One Rig for Spring...what would it Be???

pmjasper : Every day is different in the spring, colored water, clear water, as well as other variables. Year around for that matter.. But there are a few tried and proven in the spring but nobody can say what is going to work from year to year. When your ready to come up in the spring, I'll be more than happy to let you kn what's going on and where, as well as what to use. I'm only 7 miles from Sodus, and most of us fish the same water. Jim (Abe) is a good man as well. He has many years up here on the water and he won't steer you wrong when you get here. Feel free to give a call on ch. 14 (call is L&M) or mail me before you come up.

gr water blk/silver yozuri 4" stickbait coho ,stained brass /orange ladder spoon.like L&M saystthings change a little every year, got bout 20 other spoons id have to throw down there before id be happy even if i caught fish on the first one.im either always learing or never learing :? :? :? :$ :shock:

we like jointed rapalas for shallow water planar board trolling for browns.

Depending on the day, silver/blue, silver/ black, firetiger, gold/ orange, gold/black, and rainbow trout pattern all seem to have good success.

Usually we run them with just one or two splitshot 4-6' up the line, just enough to get them a few feet under the surface.

We usually run J-7 to start the day and sometimes trade up to J-11's if the smaller ones don't get a response.

I've also tried storms in the above colors and they work fine too.

we like jointed rapalas for shallow water planar board trolling for browns.

Depending on the day, silver/blue, silver/ black, firetiger, gold/ orange, gold/black, and rainbow trout pattern all seem to have good success.

Usually we run them with just one or two splitshot 4-6' up the line, just enough to get them a few feet under the surface.

We usually run J-7 to start the day and sometimes trade up to J-11's if the smaller ones don't get a response.

I've also tried storms in the above colors and they work fine too.

Mid May 2 rigs with lead core. that would be the one thing i would make sure i had. you could get by with long lines, spilt shot, mini divers, riggers but lead is mysterious in that is catchs fish. lure would be a stinger or honey bee or jr thunderstick

Interesting stuff. I normally run stickbaits for the browns here in NJ and run spoons for lakers throughout the year. This year i finally talked my girlfriend's father into adding downriggers to the boat which will allow us to work the water column more efficiently. Couple that with the addition of trolling flies, peanuts, another wire line rod my girlfriend's father got for Christmas, etc. and we'll have a lot to toy with this coming season. Can't wait for it to begin.

Anyway, it's always interesting seeing what other people find important to their arsenal. One of my personal favorites is a Storm Baby Thunderstick or Deep Baby Thunderstick in metallic green. I really like trolling this lure and add it to the pattern in the beginning of the day. hopefully it will produce up in Lake Ontario as well.

[email protected]