Need to Slow down the Boat

jigstick

I have a 2252 Bayliner Express Cruiser hardtop / cuddly with a Merc I/O V6 in it with 210hp.  Currently use a Happy Troller trolling plate.  Im seeing some stress cracks in it after two years of use.  Boat idles around 2.5mph depending on waves and wind.  With the Happy Troller plate I can easily get down to 1.5mph.

Im looking to maybe switch to trolling bags or a 15 pitch prop.  What are you guys using?  The idea of running a bag on each side of the boat is tempting due to the increased stability in rough conditions.  I have autopilot so Im not so worried about having to sit at the wheel.  

Any suggestions?

Try the trolling bags. I have never liked the trolling plates myself. We have used bags for as long as I can remember and they work great every time. A lot of times you only need to use one,  but you could always use two if you want.

Amish trolling bags are the way to go. I have a Trophy 2703 with an offshore setup (Twin Outboards) and I can get to 1.5 on a single motor but I would rather run both for steering control and ease of increasing speed when I need to. Most of the time I am just running a single bag as well.

Yah mine are atleast 28-30". I never tried it but I bet I could stop my boat if I put out the second one. Very well built and I don't think I will ever have the need to replace them. Well worth the money for sure, that is one thing that is hard to say about fishing gear

I use the Cabelas 36" trolling sock. I have a 75 hp Honda on a 16.5 ' Alumacraft. Without the bag i could only get down to 3.2-3.4. With the bag I can get down to 1.4-1.5. Great system. Yellow strap included makes it a snap yo empty and take out of the water.

I use bags as well. The trolling bags from Big Papa Sportsfishing or Amish Outfitters are made for the stress put on them from trolling. Drift bags are for drifting and will not last as long as from these two places. according to the Big Papa site you would use the 28" bag for a boat from 22 to 25 foot. I have two sets of bags. one set is undersized slightly which is the set I use most often.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Before I decided to go with a kicker motor I tried the bags. I have a 22ft cuddy and with only 1 bag it pulled the boat to the side then I got another one and it worked very well. I ankered my bags a tad before mid ship and that really pulled the bow down and made the boat very stable in rough water. Just saying I tried 1 bag, but you need 2, I used the 22" bags and I could get down to 1mph at an idle, my motor is mercruiser 350 with a 17" prop. I went to a 15hp kicker as I do a lot of trolling and I'd rather fuel a 2 cylinder than the V8, plus the idea of another motor if my main quits on me when I'm off shore. The first trip out this year my kicker saved my a$$ as my lower unit went bad. Lots of way to look at things. Bags are cheaper and not much can go wrong plus they get the job done, where a kicker is a lot more paraphernalia to drag around, but socks won't get you back to shore.

This year I went from a 19 pitch to a 15 pitch prop on my Islander. Where before it was hard to go under 3mph,She now slows down to about 2mph. Its not just the lower pitch,its also the lower stress on the engine that allows me to troll at 500 rpm. I still keep my kicker on board ,to use in case of need and as pap said,it will get you back to shore.

The Amish Outfitters bags are exactly what I'm looking at. What size are you using? I was thinking of running a 22in bag on each side.

Email him and he will choose the perfect size bags for your boat size. You wont be disappointed.

I talked to Frank.  I think thats his name.  At Amish Outfitters.  He seemed to think that the 28in bags would work best for my boat.  But the guy above mentioned that the 22in bags got his 22ft boat down to 1mph...and he has a V8.  My boat is 22.5ft with a V6.  Im torn between getting the 22 vs 28.  My boat is so economical to run.  Id hate to have to give more throttle to speed the boat up if the 28in bags are too much drag.  What do you guys think?

Amish Outfitters is now offering their "Beefy" version of bags.  It appears they have wider straps and a reinforced lip.  But they are more expensive.  Do you think I can get away with the regular "buggy" bags?

I run bags once in a while when I can't get down in speed when going with the waves.  2 Bags are a must! I run some no name brand I got really cheap, no issues but I don't use them religiously.

Def. two bags. I use two of the Big Papa Sport fishing bags in size 36" for my 22' Trophy with a 125 Merc. I can get to 1.5 easily and still not be at idle. I too called the guy and he was more than helpful. We even talked walleye fishing for a while too. From what I understand, the Amish bags are really nice too.

You guys are running huge bags compared to me. I have a 23' proline with 150hp outboard and I only run (2) 20" bags.  I can get down to .7 with 2 bags on a calm day at idle.

My boat tops out at 37mph and trolling at idle is generally at 2.7mph slowest

You guys are running huge bags compared to me. I have a 23' proline with 150hp outboard and I only run (2) 20" bags.  I can get down to .7 with 2 bags on a calm day at idle.

My boat tops out at 37mph and trolling at idle is generally at 2.7mph slowest

Yea I ran two of the 22", but I would go with what he recommends, because he will exchange your bags if your not happy, if you buy the wrong one's on your own and they don't work you might be stuck with them. Just saying let the Amish dude make the call, that way you will be able to exchange them.

Def. two bags. I use two of the Big Papa Sport fishing bags in size 36" for my 22' Trophy with a 125 Merc. I can get to 1.5 easily and still not be at idle. I too called the guy and he was more than helpful. We even talked walleye fishing for a while too. From what I understand, the Amish bags are really nice too.

my goal is to be at idle and 1.5mph with the bags out.  My V6 purrs like a kitten even at idle.  Ive never had a problem with fouling or misfires.  If I can get to 1.5mph with bags at idle my fuel economy will be even better.  Id hate to get the bigger bags and have to give more throttle to get "up" to speed. 

I can usually troll down to 2.2 with my 25' cuddy with a V8 mercruiser, but I have the idle set low (still has great oil pressure).  I opted for 2 of the 18" bags so I could deploy them both.  In the past I just used a 1 gallon bucket on each side to slow me down if being pushed by the waves, so I figured 2 18s would do the trick.  Plus with a bag on each side it helps make the boat more stable.  

My boat only has one cleat up front, right at the bow.  And then one cleat on each side in the rear.  Do you think attaching both bags to that one bow cleat will put too much strain on it?  I have a grab rail that goes around the boat as well, but Im not sure how it is anchored to the hull.  Do thou think I could run the forward lines off the grab rail?

20130923_122613_zpsh9dl9bo3.jpg[/url]

Edited by jigstick

I run mine off the bow cleat, through the bow rail and to the bag. I have seen some where they use the spring(side) cleat. They both probably work equally well and I don't think the tension is putting too much strain on the bow cleat. They pull, but that bow cleat is anchored pretty beefy. Where you anchor it, just depends on which way you think places the bags best in the water. The rail on the other hand is not a good idea. They are only attached with wood screws and you run the risk of bending the rail or pulling your wood screws out of the hull. I went and bought some dock lines with the pre-tied loop in one end. That is the end I attach to the cleat. The other end is tied to the bag. Don't forget a tag line to retrieve them with. Good luck.

I would install another cleat the same distance of the other cleat, or install two cleats where you want them, the job would be easy as you have a cuddy to add a flat washer and nut,. Don't just use the wood screws they come with, drill a hole through into the cuddy and attach the cleats with a tapered head bolt with a big flat washer and a nylon locking nut.