nasty snag

We were trollin the bar last week about a half mile east of four mile. We were in 206 FOW when my port rigger, down 55' grabbed something. The swivel mount broke the lock pin with the impact. Boat to nuetral. After cleaning up spread, we were anchored. I was able to work my weight up to 16', then , no more. I let it back out and swung the boom hard left to right. It popped right out. Ive hooked large submerged wood in the past. This was like an anchor line. Any ideas?

I think this is a bit further east but it's the only thing I can see on my Navionics? Well that didn't work, anyway, it's 70' surrounded by 200' or so.

post-151648-0-86941900-1432766808_thumb.jpg

post-151648-0-77970700-1432767255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thun

That never occored to me. A high spot would grab debris and become higher. 55' on the counter goin 3 mph is gotta be in the 40s. Over 206' you dont expect that, Strange feeling.that is further east than we were. Went out a couple days this week and found myself thinking about it...alot. As a side note. Went out sunday after fixing the mount. Everything looked good until my new 14lb shark fell off. The large cannon swivel broke in half. Cant win em all.

We were a little distracted in the heat of the moment. I looked quickly and there were strange horizonal lines on the screen. Like we were tracking our downrigger balls. It was a mess. The boat came to a quick stop. I had a hold of the rigger. My buddy tried reverse. That was a no go. I loosened the clutch on the rigger. At this point two long lines were straight down collecting mussels. Port board was on starbord side and vica versa. We did set a personal record for break down time. I do not know what it was. Whats driving me crazy is it was staitionary. We 've been hung on some huge floaters over the years. This was very different. The boat was stopped. After cleaning up the gear my counter was out to 80'. I hand over hand rolled it up to 16' and that was it. The wire angle was strait down.

Edited by baitrigger

Did you catch a waypoint on it by chance? Like others said could have been a boat or net. If you had a coordinates there was the guy on here looking for shipwrecks might be something to send him or other people in the area could look.

I saw a boat one time on Erie that the bow was barely visible as just the bow was sticking up.

Just some thoughts.

What's strange is that he was in 200fow and snagged something only down 40-50ft. That means if what he snagged wAs resting on the bottom it would be 150ft tall. I doubt there's any ships sunk that are still that tall. My guess is that it was some sort of net or a submerged tree trunk adrift and suspended. Leaning towards a tree because it showed up as a strong return on his sounder

Edited by jigstick

I have been hung up in that area twice. It is in 206ft of water. First time a dipsy was caught causing us to break the wire and losing everything. The second time a downrigger was hung up down 80ft. Lost the ball and attachments and almost the downrigger. I have the spot marked on my graph and no longer go in that area. Lost the dipsy 3 yrs ago and lost the downrigger ball 2 years ago. There is something definitely there. 

I have been hung up in that area twice. It is in 206ft of water. First time a dipsy was caught causing us to break the wire and losing everything. The second time a downrigger was hung up down 80ft. Lost the ball and attachments and almost the downrigger. I have the spot marked on my graph and no longer go in that area. Lost the dipsy 3 yrs ago and lost the downrigger ball 2 years ago. There is something definitely there. 

Care to share for others to stay away from the nasty snag?

Good time to remind all of us to check the drag on our downriggers.Could be catastrophic if they are dialed too tight.I remember reading this happening to a guy and it pulled the the stern down below water level in a matter of seconds.

I know the surface temp readings measure down 30' so that sounds about right.  Maybe someone could call NOAA and confirm the GPS coordinates of the buoys. Might be listed somewhere also.  I nominate Baitrigger! Hehe.

Fishin buddys got a friend works for the border patrol. Gonna try to get him to check it if hes in the area, with their electronics. Im very interested to know what they might see. I hope noaa is smarter than that. Id be more inclined to believe its a bouy that got blown out.

Edited by baitrigger