Wire rods storage in between trips

Good evening. What is the consensus on how people store their wire rods? I am looking for some specifics and details. I understand that the line needs to be stored tight. Currently, I store mine using rubber bands to create tension. I put the rubber band through my swivel and also thru eye near base of rod. My rod has twilly tip and line still has a agressive bend at tip. Thoughts and suggestions greatly appeciated.

Thanks.

Dave

If you have the room, store with rod assembled and just reel the swivel up tight to the twili and keep tension on it.

X2

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

I put a bead above my swivel and reel them in tight to the Twilly. The bead keeps the swivel from imbedding in the Twilly and keeps tension on the wire without putting a bend in the rod which are always stored assembled.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I always reel the swivel up to the eye or twilly, break the rid in half and reel again. Couple hair ties and done. Never had a problem

Edited by Landshark

if you have to store them broken down a 12-15 foot section of mono lets you reel all the wire onto the reel.  Its an extra knot in the set up but if you use mono heavier than the wire its not usually an issue.  mono is cheap so its no biggie to change it out often.  Makes it real easy to store the rods and even keeps newbies from getting in trouble when helping to set up.  

if you have to store them broken down a 12-15 foot section of mono lets you reel all the wire onto the reel.  Its an extra knot in the set up but if you use mono heavier than the wire its not usually an issue.  mono is cheap so its no biggie to change it out often.  Makes it real easy to store the rods and even keeps newbies from getting in trouble when helping to set up.  

Exactly what I do.... Its nice bacuase you cut down on the "pig tail" effect, and I use 50# mono so when the fleas show up, I dont get them balled up right by the diver.....

if you have to store them broken down a 12-15 foot section of mono lets you reel all the wire onto the reel. Its an extra knot in the set up but if you use mono heavier than the wire its not usually an issue. mono is cheap so its no biggie to change it out often. Makes it real easy to store the rods and even keeps newbies from getting in trouble when helping to set up.

X2 exactly

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again. The setup using 50#mono is awesome. Much nicer to deal with. No pigtails and less chance of break offs.

• 4 weeks later...

Another little tip I do is use a 1 1/2-2" long pieces of shrink wrap on my swivel on the wire side and shrink it on with heat then tie on your mono, I use 30# flourocarbon but do what you like. The shrink wrap alleviates the chance of the wire knot on the swivel catching on an eyelet or the reel. Good luck.