late derby story

man it always takes me a couple days to get back online after the derby but sometimes i have to share.  was a slow weekend for us fish hard for not a lot of fish.  On saturday the motor wouldnt start so we ended up going out on the kicker out of sampson.  had trouble with the graph and after getting it all sorted out didnt get a line in the water till after 8.  it wasnt down 5 minuets and we had a solid 7 pounder in the boat.  re-set and had a small LL almost right away.  thought it might be a good day after all but that was it didnt get another fish all day.  went in fustrated as heck and on the way in got the main motor fixed,  Well at least some good news.  day two launched in geneva early fought the waves and fish the west side going south had one hit from belhurst all the way to sampson.  crossed the lake picked up an 8 pounder than back to slow.  saw the reel stories boat net a nice one right next to us and start hooting and hollering.  made it all the way back to the drop at the north and were making a turn when something hit the dipsey hard enough to actully pull drag.  pulled in a big laker made a turn hit another 8 lber and at that point it was 2:30 so we decided to run to the weigh in.  Glad we did the big fish ended up hitting at 12.5lbs and any more time in the cooler could have cost us a place.  so overall we 6 hits in two days but had that one big one that make a difference monday we went right to where we caught the big one and immediatly got into a bit of a LL bite nothing big but at least some action. get to the tent around 11:30 and our name isnt on the board?  so we sat around waiting for the guy to show up at noon to see what was up and he told us nothing from the second half of saturday and been entered or updated so dont worry.  Well she held so on our 6th year in the derby we managed a 3rd place on what otherwise would have been a very slow fishing weekend.  shows how one fish can make the difference.  Glad to see lots of Lou members fishing out there good luck with the rest of the season.

sorry i dont have any good pics to post.the phones camera is just not that good

Great account of things ifishy. We must have crossed paths out there too the day you launched from Geneva :)  Congrats on the fish. I learned quite a few derbies ago to get the fish in ASAP as a couple times I lost out on quite a bit of money for just hundredths of a pound. :lol:

We were excited. Out big boy wasn't as big as yours but it was beautiful. And gave a heck 9f a fight. Stayed 8 foot down behind the boat for a few minutes had to keep bumping our speed to keep it behind the back of boat. Plenty of sass

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great job and nice report....Congrats!!

Was it just us or did all those Lakers seem to fight a bit harder than usual. . I'm sure the colder water this year helped but almost everyone including the smaller ones pulled drag and bent the Ole rods more than usual

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most of ours on the rigs didn't do too much until they got close to the surface and then it was "game on" most of them fought like hell then and were a challenge to net. Lakers can be an underrated fish .....and they can be a lot of fun :)

our first laker came in like  a boot the others fought bigger than there size the big one was the hardest hit i've ever had on a dipsey on seneca.  the new boat is 100 times more comfortable on the aging bones.  still getting used to the size though came in to the dock a little hard on saturday and broke off a dipsey rod holder.  gonna replace it with a cannon single axis and track from the winnings.