My father and I are fishing at sandy this morning. We got hits right off the bat on a #1 dipsy on 110' of braid with a nk28 red spoon. Problem is we are currently 2 for 6 on our releases. Both (steelies) we have gotten in the boat were on downriggers down 40' in 145' fow. With no drag flashers and dw spoons

Is it indicative of steelhead to not get hooked?

2 for 6 sucks. The ones we lost seem like they hit it and they are gone by the time I got my line tight.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

- hooks are new/sharp

-

When you said no drag, flasher and spoon, did you mean no flasher or with flasher, I find the stleelie's are hard to keep hooked also, but you should have drag set, that's what drives the hooks home, depending on the size flasher your running I had them hit the flasher instead of the spoon, I'm not BSing we had a situation, we were getting releases but no one was home this went on most of the morning, finally I had enough and decided to change out the hooks on the spoon, so reeled everything in and went to sharpen the hooks when I noticed the flasher was all scratched up, you could tell they were teeth marks, so I switched out the flasher for a not so flashy one then the spoon was getting the action not the flasher, we set the drag tighter and then we started getting fish in the boat. I'm not a veteran at this but your situation sounds like the one I had, just thought I would say what we encountered.

Thanks pap! The "no drag flasher" not no drag set on the reel. It's an In line flasher that just spins. It doesn't make the big loop normal flashers do i think they are all "big AL's"

Caught the king on the #1 dipsy

Thanks pap! The "no drag flasher" not no drag set on the reel. It's an In line flasher that just spins. It doesn't make the big loop normal flashers do i think they are all "big AL's"

Caught the king on the #1 dipsy

Gotcha, yea like Bruce said tighten up you releases, that will make a big difference also, good thought!!o

Kings and steelies will hit sideways - not always getting hooked but will pull releases.

I'm having the same issues this morning. We've landed a few steelies, a King, and a couple lakers. Have had just as many releases with no one home. Is what it is - keep at it.