Chautauqua Musky Season

Thun, Thanks! I just wish everyone that fishes muskies would realize that the State of New York wants to see a return on the investment into a fishery.We can make the fishery better through fishermen helping the stocking programs etc.But the bottom line is dollars & cents spent by those that use the fishery, to include those that travel from other states that make even a bigger impact.The NSDEC is also looking at these boards to see if the season change was a good thing or not.If they see no fish caught or no tourism effect from the change, any further changes of possibly starting the season on May 1st will be that much harder to accomplish.I will continue to report all fish I see caught including mine, but I will not say who or spot on spot from here out!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Looks like the decision for the DEC to open the season on inland waterways to all was a good decision, I'm sure they will definitely looking at fisherman's feedback. Keep up the good reporting Larry. Thanks to your efforts in the muskie world things are working for the better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm happy to post my reports. I was there Saturday and trolled in Mayville mostly. Had two fish hit in between storm fronts around 130pm. They were 15 minutes apart. Both fish were in the 28-29" range. That was it for us. First time on that lake, so just having a rod fire made me happy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FishinNY

I personally really appreciate the reports Larry. I'm not really sure what the problem is? Chautauqua is no secret, and it's impossible to over fish a body of water this large. You guys are very lucky to have something like this. Here in central pa we have dozens of guys competing on tiny bodies of water for fish. I'll be up for 4 or 5 weeks this summer starting next week. Can't wait for this school year to end!

Some years ago when i was struggling to catch two or three muskies a year i stumbled into larry's "mostly muskies" website. He posted detailed info on baits,depths,trolling runs and everything else. I wrote it all down on my fishing hot spots map as i read it. I still keep it in my boat's glove box. Everything larry posts is for real. Now i fish shallow and cast into weeds because that's what i like to do. But when my sons or sons in law are with me and my program isn't cutting it i break out the "larry" map and can usually boat one. Thanks for the help and keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If Larry wants to post details on every single fish he catches that's great, and I'm sure there are a bunch of people that appreciate that info. What I do on the water should be my business to report if I want, not for somebody to report for me. That's all.

There's no problem and I'm sure Larry can understand.

As far as the fishery is concerned, I'd be glad to provide catch details, expense estimates or whatever to the DEC, if it helps Chautauqua Lake. I could provide 16 years worth. I just completed a similar type survey for Ohio. I would also be happy to donate money to help feed muskies minnows in the hatchery. I just did that in Ohio too. I also like to help people, share information, or talk fishing at the boat ramp or at the campground. I am just of the opinion that some things are best not shared online and that should be my own choice. Somebody else should not make that choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Angler Camaraderie:  Finally the NMA works to maintain camaraderie among local musky anglers. While old-time musky anglers tended towards secrecy and cliquish behavior, the NMA believes that the best way to protect and enhance the musky fishery for the benefit of the most anglers, is by being open and honest on the how and when to fish for muskellunge. In this regard the NMA encourages its members to report all their catches on forms provided. This information is entered in a data base which is then given back to the members in report form. These reports contain information on the most productive lures, methods, locations, depths, seasons, etc. The NMA also has monthly meetings, an annual banquet, and an annual picnic where those interested in pursuing the elusive muskellunge can spend time with other anglers who share their passion. Many new and life-long friendships have been crafted through the NMA

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Adam, I will never mention your name again or anyone else's name who does not want there name mentioned.But I have an obligation of being on the Fishery Advisory Board to promote tourism as well as make 10 meetings a month to report fishing issues to Erie & Chautauqua Federations of Sportsmen's Club's, NYSDEC .Like it or not all fishing management in NY State is based on dollars & cents, economic income generated thru use & tourism.No return on investment less money spent or no money spent.We as musky fishermen need to be more out in the open to be seen and heard if we want our fisheries to continue to thrive!

One thing that did surprise me.

I would say 80% of the boats I saw were guys I know from PA that are there normally during the regular season.

I did expect a lot of new boats and parking lots full. I think the forecast spooked a lot of people off. It was nothing like what they were calling for.

I did expect more boats, Sunday very few were out. Those that were.....got very very wet!

Think it will take all week for my boat to dry out.

Here is my point of view on detailed reports.

Years ago it was lure name, line amount out, lure color, where to buy them.

Anyone could go to Happy Hooker then and get that lure, swing over to Kmart and get a leader and just use my trusty old zebco 33. No net, no release tools, no knowledge. Hurting the fishery.

Us......Guys that post or not that come on here know what is best for the fish.

But anyone can read this.

Release equipment or not.

saturday I saw a guy trolling with a spinning rod and reel combo.

Do you think he had and bolt cutters on board? Probably not.

NMA doesn't open the release info to non members either, need to join.

So they got a name, want to meet you, discuss the fishery and how delicate it is.

Go over the Do's and Don'ts wit the new guys.

Open forum that isn't possible.

My two cents on it.

Thanks.

Last year there was a thread posted on here that explained how to safely catch and release a musky.  At the time, I had never fished for musky, and did not feel like I really needed to know the information since it wasn't likely I'd be targeting them any time soon (but I read the thread anyways).  It was very informative, and a few days ago while fishing for bass with my parents on Waneta Lake, I caught and landed a 37" Musky (my first ever!).  Had I not read that thread the previous year, it's likely that I would not have known how sensitive of a fish they are, and I would not know how to properly release them.  I also probably would not have posted the picture that was taken out of fear that maybe I did something wrong and would get crucified on here for it.  However, I am happy to say that after I held her up for a very quick picture, she was back in the water within a few seconds.  I gently held onto her tail in the water until she finally took off like a bullet.  I always welcome constructive criticism, so if there is anything that I could do better next time on my catch and release, please feel free to let me know on here or through a PM.

post-143216-0-03136400-1433247373_thumb.jpg

Nice job Guppy.  My gripe has nothing to do with sharing information. Congrats on the catch and release...I hope you're "hooked". I just want the opportunity to share my own catch information, If I chose, and not have somebody else speak for me through second or third hand information/rumors.

So much for not making a big deal of this...I should have known better.

Thanks Larry.  I'm glad we have an understanding (at least I think we do).  I would never question your passion for the fish, or your dedication to the sport, however, your obligation ends before reporting somebody else's private information on an online public forum without their consent.  Again, please do not include my name, or my boats numbers in your online reports.  I can handle my own reporting.  Thanks.

greatlakesalt,

I'm sure the NMA is a good organization with a good group of members...I know some of them.

Does the NMA encourage their members to report all their catches or does the NMA encourage Larry Jones to report their catches for them?  Is that information available to the general public or do you need to be a paid member of the NMA to have access to that catch information?

I am a member of Muskies Inc and have been since I started muskie fishing in 1998.  I have also reported every catch my dad and I have made over those years into the Muskies Inc Lunge Log database.  If the NY DEC is making muskie management decisions based on Larry's online reports of second hand information, I have serious concerns for the fishery.  There are 9278 catch records from Chautauqua Lake in the Muskies Inc database.  Chautauqua lake is 3rd all time on numbers of muskies caught/reported to the data base, including all of the US and Canada.  The only two lakes higher on the list are Lake of the Woods and lake St Clair.  There's where the NY DEC needs to takes it's information from.  No need to re-invent the wheel.

Edited by Ivan

Thanks Ivan, and I wasn't concerned with the sharing of information part of my catch.  Since it was my first one, there was a possibility of me not "handling" it correctly, and I didn't want to cause a big deal out of it.  As far as being hooked, I think that would be an understatement :)

Last year there was a thread posted on here that explained how to safely catch and release a musky.  At the time, I had never fished for musky, and did not feel like I really needed to know the information since it wasn't likely I'd be targeting them any time soon (but I read the thread anyways).  It was very informative, and a few days ago while fishing for bass with my parents on Waneta Lake, I caught and landed a 37" Musky (my first ever!).  Had I not read that thread the previous year, it's likely that I would not have known how sensitive of a fish they are, and I would not know how to properly release them.  I also probably would not have posted the picture that was taken out of fear that maybe I did something wrong and would get crucified on here for it.  However, I am happy to say that after I held her up for a very quick picture, she was back in the water within a few seconds.  I gently held onto her tail in the water until she finally took off like a bullet.  I always welcome constructive criticism, so if there is anything that I could do better next time on my catch and release, please feel free to let me know on here or through a PM.

attachicon.gifIMG_0681.JPG

Love hearing stories like this Guppy - congrats on the fish and the safe release.  :yes:

Larry & Adam are both first class individuals who dedicate a lot to the fishery.  Nice to see their issues resolved in a civil manner.

Awesome, congrats! Not everyone would of read the release info, glad you did.

You and most everyone wants to release the fish, but,they are so much more of a delicate fish than the rest of the species that are caught. They cannot be handled in the same manner.

Buddy of mine said he saw a fresh dead one floating on saturday. With the lower water temps that should not be happening.

Was that fish mishandled? Maybe someone would just read enough to be dangerous is my point. The guy I saw trolling 2 rods, one was a light spinning rod, plastic rod holders, I would love to have a chance to talk with him at the launch.

Introduce myself, talk over the concern of over stressing the fish with light equipment, discuss proper release tools etc etc etc.

I was concerned with what I saw, show and teach him what I can.

I am always concerned with detailed reports and who is reading and going out trying what they read.

Without the money invested in the proper equipment, they could do some damage out there.

Well, I was not going to chime in on this, but after reading toothyfishman's last post I decided to add my two cents.

Number 1, I feel very strongly about the topic on the handling of fish, When I first started this sport, a person by the name of toothyfishman contacted me right away.

He invited me onto his boat without ever meeting me. I can not begin to tell you guys how much I learned from him. In my opinion these are the important things to be seen on the internet for everyone to read, as Guppy 35 testified to doing to safely release a fish he was not even targeting.

I started out buying all the wrong equipment, not having the correct tools to safely land and release such a beautiful fish, for that I thank him, and others like Ivan that I meet through him over the past 4 years.

Not to beat a dead horse, But I agree with not posting other peoples fish for them. If I want to post my fish and pictures that should be my decision. As a matter of fact I posted 1 fish on another site. it happen to me my PB from Lake Chautauqua, and it also happen to have been on toothyfishman's boat. And if I know what I know today I would not have reeled in that fish, I would have given the rod back to Frank.

Now here is my quiet observances over the past three years of reading the Musky Forums.  I have seen fish reports posted that I know for a fact where not true, I have seen reports of 50" plus fish later being corrected because someone yelled from there boat they got a 52" fish when in reality it was 42" and it ends up on the net.

I see fishing reports on the one end of the lake where I fished for 10-12 hours and never seen the poster there? I have also seen reports in regards to me that was not accurate. So how accurate is the report. I guess what I am trying to say is, I do not think the fishery, or the tourism would benefit if the information is not 100% accurate.

I doubt the DEC visits forums and reads through all of our BS back and forth to get their info. They can see who buys a fishing lic. Where they live and send them a question answer form we'd all be happy to fill out. I can't imagine they rely on a guy running around the boat launch and campgrounds asking who got what on what so he can post it for the DEC to read.

If so........he missed me all weekend.

Did I catch 2 or 10???

Okay.

I am done with this, we all are going to have strong points of view one way or another.

If this truly is all about the DEC and one guy reporting is going to make or break the fishery that is really sad. I would hope the technology of the computer lic system could spit out an email, phone#, whatever and me be contacted for some real info.

In case I launch at a different launch, fish a different lake,camp somewhere else, or day for that matter and the reporter is not around.

Thanks, Now I just remembered by I don't bother looking on forums much anymore

Just gets my blood pressure up for no reasons.

Good luck to everyone this year, remember your release tools, be careful during the warm water period, stay safe out there, let them go safely so they can keep on growing!

I'm out.........

Today's 45"er from 38 ft of water off Bell Tower!4 colors of leadcore, Wiley 5 1/2" Jtd in Golden Brown Perch at 3.7 mph!Another 34" muskie and called it the day at 5:30 pm.I hate East winds and cold fronts, probably lucky to have caught the two we did.Cell phone always puts pix upside down when up loaded.

post-139486-0-14074100-1433424357_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueEye