Chautauqua Musky Season

Today we only fished from 8:30 am till 1:00 pm, was very slow on the North Basin.We managed a little 25" dink from near Tom's Point in the middle section.I will go home for a couple days and return on Saturday.Look at the saddle back look of this small muskie!

post-144733-0-65147100-1433354958_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies

We got one a few years ago up by mayville that looked just like that. And nice 45 yesterday Larry. I was trolling through that area earlier in the afternoon and got nothin.. Ran south and went 2 for 5 with biggest only at 34". Not sure what the problem was.... hooks were razor sharp. After my bait was spit back at me the 3rd time i damn near pulled a mike iaconelli...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It was nice today but i was stuck in the office! I was there tues... Very slow during cold/rain in the AM and had a few bites once the skies cleared up later in the day. Was funny trolling with a few other boats around with no action and all of a sudden myself and 2 other boats all hooked up at the same time. The fish in the area all said to each other "ok on the count of 3 lets all bite!".. And then it shut off again. Fascinating....

Yes, most of the time the windows are short and hot, on and off with Long hours in between.The hardest thing for most fishermen during these slow periods is to stay with the program that normally works for you.To easy to get caught into going through every lure and color in the box trying to find something to get a hit, but usually you take yourself right out of the game when they do turn on.I have stayed on spots the size of half a football field going over it for 8 to 12 hours knowing it's a food shelf and if your there when they come to feed your going to hook up and most days it works!

Edited by mostlymuskies

If I were to get Angler Diary Log Books from NYSDEC Region 9 to record Angler Hours Fished, Size of Fish, Fin Clipping Position etc.how many of you that think the NYSDEC does not look at this website would participate and fill them out.They would be mailed directly to the NYSDEC at the end of the season, I would not be able to see any other fishermens Diary and either would any other fishermen unless you personally showed them yourself.All the info would be recorded and the Angler Diary would be returned to you.All information would be combined from all the Diaries to show catch numbers, size numbers & Fin clips to determine stocked year classes and if any conditions, feed at hatchery etc. made for better stocking where the Diaries show large numbers of same size and same clipped fin.If we have enough interested I will set it up!

Edited by mostlymuskies

That sounds like it may be a good idea Larry.  I definitely would, but before committing to anything...

My first question is who or what is driving this?  Has the NYSDEC requested this kind of information and would they use it/how would they use it?  How would they compile a bunch of hand written data from angler diaries?  I would guess if they actually wanted this type of data, they would create an online portal for anglers to enter their data so it would be easier to manage.  Ohio has just such a program/online data entry system for their muskie program.

I don't understand the reasoning of just offering up information that the DEC hasn't asked for or has no intentions of using.  I am skeptical of it being a waste of time.  If the NYSDEC has interest in angler feedback, and would use the data to benefit the Chautauqua Lake muskie fishery, I would be all for it.  If this is a legitimate initiative of the NYSDEC, I would participate and do my best to get other anglers I know that catch alot of Chq fish to participate.  

Maybe somebody from the NYSDEC that uses the site can chime in on the subject?

Ivan, I was asked by NYSDEC Region 9 back a couple years ago if we could get Fin Clipping information from Anglers.This information would give them survival status of different year classes.Then it can be determined if any of the changing in feeding, time in ponds or water temperature when stocking took place made that larger number of same fin clipped year class survive better.The Angler Duary Program would have to be run by NY Muskies Chapter 69 for individual diaries to be sent to individual fishermen.I will send an email off to Chris Legard who is the biologist for muskies in Region 9 and see if they still are looking for this information.I am not aware of NYSDEC having online survey data collection, only comments when changes are being made.

Edited by mostlymuskies

I am curantly partipating in the survey onj conesus and waneta you are filling out a log with certain info and return it to the dec they mail it to you and send you a return envlope at the end of the season

I would happily participate as i have been meaning to start keeping a log of my season to try and identify trends, track conditions, etc. I'm sure I wouldn't be as much help as some of the heavy hitters out that way as I am a multispecies guy and my season is spent on several different bodies of water. I usually only get to CHQ a handful of times each year.  I do believe that Ivan has some valid points but i will keep an eye out here and if this comes to fruition than I am in.

Edited by JOE ESOX

Also-  since there is a good discussion going here, what's the skinny on the June 27 tourney?  I was a muskies inc member at the beginning back when the meetings were at the honkey tonk joint but life got in the way and I have been out of touch.  I see it is open to non-members but what is the entry fee?   Do some of the proceeds go toward the baitfish fund like years ago? If not, is the club doing anything to raise funds for feeding musky fry?  Inquiring minds want to know.  thanks 

Joe Esox, The NYSDEC Prendergast Hatchery Supervisor Larry King has said they do not need help with extra minnows anymore.They now get minnows early and raise them in a couple ponds where they multiply, so they have all they need.Money from the Chautauqua Tournament that is not paid out will be used to put Know The Difference / Catch & Release Info Signs at Inland Lakes & Waters ,I believe that is what was voted on at a meeting.The Chautauqua Tourney Info should be listed in the NY Muskies Chapter 69 link at the top of the threads.I have not had anything to do with the Chautauqua Tourney since they took it over.

Thanks for the clarification re: the minnows Larry.  I did check out the MI69 site before posting but did not see anything in relation to the tourney other than date and rules.  If anyone else can chime in re: times/signup location/entry fee that would be appreciated.  I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere before but now i can't find it.  

JOE ESOX, I have been working out tournament details with the board and will be posting the details in a day or two on the Chapter 69 site. I will also post a thread here with a link.The format, times, locations, entry fee, and payout will be largely the same as last year.

Today we covered all of the north basin and caught a 25 " little muskie off Irwin Bay, passing through the middle section near Tom's Point we caught a 32"er.We made one pass around the south end and caught nothing there.I seen no other nets hit the water, but heard some others did well today all over the lake.

Small muskies on my boat now don't even get taken out of the water,measure in the water and just quickly release.

i'm not quite there yet but with my gopro i get a photo and never have a fish out of the water over ten seconds. post-142867-14336783239553_thumb.jpgor sometimes i just get a net shot of smaller ones like this.

Hey guys this maybe a dumb question but whatever... Obviously by my username I've caught a lot of pike. I really only fish Sodus Bay and Black Lake as time is tough to come by. Have a trip planned for the end of the month for Black Lake and, as musky is a possibility, I just wanted to confirm something.

I've seen a lot of talk about how to catch and release these beasts. I read the thread dedicated to it. It seems to me they're just like pike, no? Obviously more rare and therefore more care should be taken, but it sounds just like catching and releasing a pike?

I've only be responsible for one fish death in the last 15 years and that was because I ate it! HA!

Pike are hardier then muskies and they can be out of the water a little longer.Muskies on the other hand stress quicker and can only sustain a very short period of out of water time.Northern pike will usually swim right off when lowered back into the water, where muskies you may spend a lot of time helping the muskie stay up right until it regains enough strength to swim off on its own.

Pike are hardier then muskies and they can be out of the water a little longer.Muskies on the other hand stress quicker and can only sustain a very short period of out of water time.Northern pike will usually swim right off when lowered back into the water, where muskies you may spend a lot of time helping the muskie stay up right until it regains enough strength to swim off on its own.

that's gospel,right there. Pike are tough. That's why there are so many in so many waters despite the lack of respect and abuse they get from a lot of fishermen.

Yeah. Yesterday, at a party at my fathers, I had to step into the middle of a conversation when I heard a guy was muskie fishing on the river and lifted a 48" fish into the boat still in the net with hooks in it! I can assure you, he will never do that again. A 27 year old guy telling a 60+ year old man he's breaking the law and mishandling fish. It's a shame.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app