Chautauqua Musky Season

FishinNY, That is great you educated him on proper release! Hopefully it hit home, so many older guys are just doing what they always have done because no one has told them different on handling fish.Look how far we have come in the last 10 to 15 years when muskie killing was done way more then releasing back then!Still a lot of education needed, still clueless fishermen out there!

I will not make it back to Chautauqua Lake until this coming weekend, I have walleye trips on Lake Erie the middle of this week.

Edited by mostlymuskies

I want to thank Captain Larry for returning my boat partner's rod after it went for a swim in the south basin on the opener last week. Also, thanks to Dave Palo for handling the transaction yesterday! Hopefully their good deeds bring lots of hogs to their nets!

Jeeze this post has me feeling lost.  Ive had my place on Chautauqua for 15 years.  I pretty much gave up on muskie fishing 3 years ago after not landing a single fish in almost 13 years.  Not a single person I have ever come across up on the lake that muskie fishes with success would ever give me any type of advice at all.  That is disheartening.  This year I decided to try again on my own.  The only gear I have is what I use on Erie for walleye and steelhead, with the addition of some muskie specific tools for landing, netting, and releasing.

Well I am glad to report that I finally landed some.  I trolled this past saturday from 430-600 PM from Prendergast launch up to the Institute bell tower.  Landed two.  35in and 38in.  Both hit a perch colored Bomber 5in stick bait.  12ft down, 15ft back from my downrigger ball.  trolling 3.5mph in 25-30fow.  Not sure if I just got lucky, or if I finally got my speed and lead correct with an appropriate bait.  I will post pictures tomorrow. 

I was hoping this post would have reliable info regarding setups being used but now I dont think I can trust the post seeing how some people seem to purposely report false info for personal reasons.  That just makes it hard for guys like me with estensive big water experience trying to get into the muskie niche.

Edited by jigstick

Congrats on not giving up and landing a couple!

The first thing I can add is you need to get heavier gear. Get some cheap 9' dipsy rods from cabelas. I think they are $38 a peice. And if you want, but not necessary, the depth master line counter reels. Spool up with at least 65lb braid, some guys use heavy mono for baits that ride high in the water column, and good terminal tackle. Ball bearing swivels, quality crimps, good leader material etc.

Tools- knipex hook cutters, long needle now pliers, braid cutters, jaw spreaders, and a good quality big landing net.

I'm sure some other guys will chime in, but when it comes to muskie fishing, you have to spend the money on equipment to be sure these fish release healthy. Fighting muskies on light tackle takes way to much out of them and can be detrimental.

Good luck on the rest of your season, now that you have the itch!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Jigstick, Your downrigger ball down 12 ft with 15 ft lead is probably putting your crankbait around 14 ft down.That is right where my crankbaits are with 4 colors of leadcore at 3.7 mph, this has been what has worked for me in the same area from Prendergast to Bell Tower in 25 to 30 ft of water. So I would say your program is spot on.I started out back in 1975 using downrigger rods and caught many muskies using them. I used 50 lb Mono back then, today I would use 80 lb Power Pro and thick rubber band half hitched on braid then into the release.Most important of all the release tools are the hook cutters, if you do not own a pair of Knipex Mini Bolt Cutters you need to get a pair of those, makes for fast cutting to get hooks from fish and from you if you get hooked with fish thrashing attached.Congrats on your recent success, any day you get 2 muskies is a great day!

The Angler Diary Study of the Niagara River/Buffalo Harbor administrated by the NMA has the option for NMA Members to enter catch & release data via NMA website.The compiled online data and Angler Diary book data are forwarded to the NSDEC.

Conesus Lake and Waneta Lake Angler Diary Study I believe is administered by the NY Muskies Inc. Chapter 69, they hand out the Diary books.If the NSDEC does not want to put together an online entry system, maybe this could be setup on the Chapter 69 website through LOU.If the NYSDEC still is interested in Chautauqua Lake Angler Diary Study entries could be there as well.Just a thought because we all know how slow NY State is to make change.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Waneta Lake and Conesus Lake diary studies are not administered by NY Muskies Inc. Chapter 69. They are administered by DEC Region 8. In 2014, Fisheries Biologist Brad Hammers of Region 8 came to one of our meeting and gave us a presentation about the diary studies which included an overview of how useful the data is in the ongoing management of the fisheries. That was the first year of the Waneta and Lamoka Lakes diary study and he was also promoting the Conesus Lake diary study. Several of us signed up for one or both. These are ongoing yearly studies and I want to encourage anyone who wants to help the DEC with the management and understanding of these fisheries to get on board with the studies. If you are interested you can call the Region 8 office at 585-226-2466 and let them know you want to participate. It s easy. They send you the diary, filling it out is easy, they send you a postage paid envelope to return it at the end of the season and they will automatically repeat it the following year.

We did bring up the suggestion of online diary study and Mr. Hammers indicated that it had been discussed and decided against. I think they had some concerns about protecting the integrity of the data. The reporting format of the diary and commitment of participants to adhere strictly to the format is of paramount concern to them so that the information is kept consistent and accurate and therefore, the most meaningful.

For those who are interested, I believe Region 7 has a diary study for Otisco Lake. The phone # is 607-753-3095. For other regions, you can check with the regional office to find out about diary studies each region is conducting.

Steve, Thanks for the correction on the NYSDEC administration of the Waneta & Conesus Lakes Angler Diary Study.I just got so use to the NMA mailing out the Angler Diary Study books to those taking part, that I assumed we would be doing the same.Not good to hear that you were told they declined to do a online reporting system in the past.So I will take the request through the county federations to the NY Conservation Council for pressure from that direction.

I launched at Mayville today at 5am and cast until 1pm. Right away one blew up on a topwater in front of Chautauqua marine but no hookup. Kept working south after that. Had two follows in front of the mansion with the big staircase. Then i lost one and had a follow fishing the hazard buoys near snug harbor. I had a nice gar on at warners and lost that too. Not many weeds yet. Then i remembered larry talking about the weeds being up in Ashville bay so i went south. Found lots of weeds in Hadley bay so i fished there. I hooked two low thirty ish fish and lost both of them;one to a jump and the other i knocked off with the net. Headed back north to revisit the followers and picked up this 20 footer.post-142867-14340680405268_thumb.jpg After i towed him in i figured karma would be with me but that didn't work either. Still beats working. Lots of boats out,even some tubers. Water was around 67 and about 7 feet of visability.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I launched at Mayville today at 5am and cast until 1pm. Right away one blew up on a topwater in front of Chautauqua marine but no hookup. Kept working south after that. Had two follows in front of the mansion with the big staircase. Then i lost one and had a follow fishing the hazard buoys near snug harbor. I had a nice gar on at warners and lost that too. Not many weeds yet. Then i remembered larry talking about the weeds being up in Ashville bay so i went south. Found lots of weeds in Hadley bay so i fished there. I hooked two low thirty ish fish and lost both of them;one to a jump and the other i knocked off with the net. Headed back north to revisit the followers and picked up this 20 footer.post-142867-14340680405268_thumb.jpg After i towed him in i figured karma would be with me but that didn't work either. Still beats working. Lots of boats out,even some tubers. Water was around 67 and about 7 feet of visability.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So here are my first two Chautauqua muskie in almost 15 years of fishing.  Small, but I was still happy to finally catch one.  

IMG_1222_zpsblxvlg8u.jpg[/url]

IMG_1220_zpsor3ak9gb.jpg[/url]

My sister in laws BF landed the 2nd one.  

Anybody going to be fishing Chautauqua this Saturday?  Ill be going out solo and would like to have someone to touch base with throughout the day to see how the bite is going.  I am going to troll the northern basin from Camp Chautauqua up past Prendergast and the Institute.  Im on the VHF and will give my cell phone number if anybody is interested in helping out a new guy

Chris Legard muskie biologist for NYSDEC Region 9 has emailed me back that the NYSDEC would definitely like to have an Angler Diary Study done with Muskies on Chautauqua Lake.I would get the Angler Diary Study Books and get them into the hands of those fishermen that would like to participate. Then at the end of the inland muskie season All Angler Diary Study Books would be mailed to the NYSDEC by each participant.No one would see your Angler Diary Study Book but you and the NYSDEC, they will comply all the data from all the books combined then mail the books back to each participant.They are looking for Size, Fin Clip Position, Red Spot or other scars, date of catch.Please post here if you would like to take part in the Chautauqua Lake Angler Diary Study!

Edited by mostlymuskies

jigstick,

I'll be back up this weekend.  My dad isn't able to fish this weekend, so my buddy that has a place on the lake will be fishing with me for the weekend.  Since you are solo, If you'd like to jump on my boat for a couple hours one day, I'd be glad to show you some things.  I will warn you though....my program is completely different from what you are currently doing.  My gear is going to be completely different than what you are using, so I'm not certain how well my info/help would translate unless you are willing to make some set-up and equipment changes.  I'm not promising you any fish, but what I do definitely works well.  I'll send you a pm with my cell number.  If you want to take me up on the offer, just give me a call or send me a text.  I'll be arriving at the lake from the Pittsburgh area tonight.

Adam Andresky

Edited by Ivan

Adam, Thank You for yourself & friends help with Chautauqua Lake Angler Diary Study.I would not be able to get the books until next week.Let me ask Chris Legard if I can give you his email and Chris can email you back and make arrangements to mail you the books.I will be on the Niagara River for the Great Lakes Muskie Opener the following weekend so would not be able to give them to you then.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Larry put me in for 2 if you can!

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I have been on here, nice to see everyone chatting about Chautauqua. We did not have quite the action packed opener everyone else I spoke to did but oddly enough my best day so far was the post-frontal east wind last Saturday. Between Nikki and myself we managed 3 fish with the biggest being this snake from the deep south fishing the slop with jerkbaits.

Wish I could be fishing (or washing baits as it usually turns out for me) at the Chautauqua Tourney this year but unfortunately I am unable to attend! Gents, has there been any discussion in regards to reinstating an early fall Chautauqua tournament?

post-147884-0-98364700-1434192987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronix 51

Mike, Thanks for committing to two Angler Diary Books.I will get them your way as soon as I receive them from Chris Legard. I will talk with the NY Muskies 69 Board and see if they want to have a fall Chautauqua Tourney.I did not go to Chautauqua Lake this morning, client moved his date to July.Jigstick hopefully you hooked up with Adam for the day.I will be down tomorrow morning for the whole day, good luck to everyone fishing there today.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Today I dodged thunder and rain, getting off the water and back on again.We managed only a 35" muskie from 38 ft of water off Lutheran Camp.Quit early at 1:30 pm after getting soaked for the 2nd time.

Edited by mostlymuskies