Chautauqua Musky Season

We had another good weekend at Chautauqua. I never heard from jigstick, but my buddy Ed and I put in about 20 hours between yesterday and Saturday. Both days were good...did a little better on size Saturday and a little better on numbers yesterday. Got a bit wet yesterday, but never got chased off the lake. It seemed like reels should be screaming left and right yesterday with the approaching cells, but it was just a steady pick for us.

North end is still clear with little weeds and water temps around 69 degrees. South end is getting more color, water temps around 72, and floating weeds are pretty bad. My Lowrance screen looked great just about everywhere we fished. Lots of bait and muskies marked....just a matter of finding what they want and being on them at the right time. We got fish both north and south with a few decent ones in the mix. Trolled my 6 rod spread of planer and boat rods with a combination of Wiley's and shad cranks. Caught some fish related to weeds and some suspended near open water bait. Saw about 15 different muskie boats out over the weekend.

Good luck to everybody. I won't be back up for about a month.

Was up Wednesday afternoon through Sunday morning. Caught 11 fish, but took a skunk Saturday except for a PR walleye. Most fish came from 20-25 feet trolling BM shad ' s and wileys. 3 fish over 40, rest were mid 30's. Lost around half dozen fish. Will be back up for 8 days next week.

Ivan

Sorry about not touching base with you.  Had to take the kids in for some shots friday morning.  usually they do ok, but this time both were miserable.  We couldnt make the trip up because of this.  I definitely would have jumped at your offer.  I will be heading up this Thur-Sunday for sure.  Probably fish a mix of chautauqua for muskie and erie for walleye.  Id like to keep in contact with anyone fishing this weekend.  I will be out for sure.  Im using two downriggers and 2 inline planars.  Both my muskie hit a 6in Bomber stick bait.  I have a lot of baits in that size range.  And a few in the 8in range.  What other baits should I be looking at?  Are you guys really trolling those massive 8-10in baits that are 1/2in thick and made of wood by hand?  What baits can I pick up at say Gander Mountain or Dicks Sporting Goods that would work for trolling?

Doug

Defiantly stop in to Chautauqua reel outdoors mike has a nice selection of trolling lures to choose from and is a great guy to talk musky fishing with he will point u in the right direction I picked up some sweet lures a couple weeks ago getting them wet tommorow on waneta

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

NYSDEC Biologist Chris Legard is mailing me the NYSDEC Angler Diary Books for Muskie Study on Chautauqua Lake.Those who have committed to take part in the Angler Diary Study need to email me at [email protected] or private email on LOU your address so I can mail the books your way.Anyone else that would like to participate in the Chautauqua Angler Diary Study,just let me know.At the completion of the muskie season the books get mailed directly to NYSDEC Region 9 Office,they will record the information from the books and m ail the books back to you.

NYSDEC Biologist Chris Legard is mailing me the NYSDEC Angler Diary Books for Muskie Study on Chautauqua Lake.Those who have committed to take part in the Angler Diary Study need to email me at [email protected] or private email on LOU your address so I can mail the books your way.Anyone else that would like to participate in the Chautauqua Angler Diary Study,just let me know.At the completion of the muskie season the books get mailed directly to NYSDEC Region 9 Office,they will record the information from the books and m ail the books back to you.

I will not be on Chautauqua again until July 1st.Time for the Great Lakes Musky Opener and midnight tonight at the Buffalo Harbor.I have heard of a few fishermen still doing well at Chautauqua Lake with fish moving a little deeper this week,25 to 27 ft water depths up north have been good.

• 2 weeks later...

We finished today with a 38" muskie,another good day up north with muskies!All 4 muskies came from 27 ft of water using 6 colors of leadcore and Wiley 5 1/2" jtd crankbaits trolled at 3.7 mph,crankbaits were down 18 ft! Bait fish pods were down 15 to 18 ft,around 10 ft off bottom just past the Bell Tower,surface water temp was 69 degrees!

Edited by mostlymuskies