Chautauqua Musky Season

Now that is a smart lady right there , you better hang on to this one Mike! ;)       Maybe she could give you some pointers on netting fish. :lol:

Haha thanks Dan believe me I still haven't (and probably wont ever) hear the end of it! Pretty much my box of prowlers sits up by her feet in the bow now I am left with the scraps in the back lol

Today's cold front made the fishing tough at Chautauqua Lake.But with the surface water temp dropping from 77 degrees to 72 up North and from 78 degrees to 69 degrees down south,in a couple days when the weather stabilizes the fish action should be very good.Back down on Tuesday.

Water up north had a brown tint and started out the morning with surface temp of 69 degrees,but got up to 72 degrees by high noon.Baronetric pressure was high at 30:35 and steady with bluebird sky.Fishing was very slow we lost a big one early,then went 7 hours before we caught a 33 1/2 "er on a wind swing.One other short rip in a total of 13 hours on the water.We marked most big hooks out over 33 to 35 ft of water down 15 to 20 ft.Water visibility about 2 to 3 ft.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Started today at 7 am down south,marked next to nothing no bait fish & no hooks.Water surface temp was 65.5 degrees.Went north did not mark any bait fish or hooks until 23 ft of Irwing Bay.All the big hooks were mostly tight to the bottom.We went 12 hours before we finally caught a 37"er in Witney Bay 21 ft.Very tough day after cold front East to NE winds,and 6 degree water temp drop over night.Back out in the morning.

We started today at 6:45 am up north just past Bell Tower.Unbelievable at 7:30 am muskies started rolling on the surface all around us.Quickly shortened lines to 60 ft of leadcore and caught a 35"er quickly,followed by a 39"er,then a 34"er and we lost a bigger muskie half way to the boat.Then the wind stopped and it turned like a mirror surface and it shut right off.Clients had to quit at 1 pm.Back out tomorrow morning.

I took a nap from 1:30 to 4 pm and headed back on the water.First 29.5"er 4:15 pm,41" at 6:05 pm,one more short rip at 6:18 pm.Back in for dinner and 6 am start tomorrow.Water surface temp at 72 degrees north and 76 degrees south.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Today started out by total fog out until 10 am,then bluebird sky,mirror glass water surface and 30:35 barometric pressure.Marked lots of big hooks 20 down over 32 to 35 ft of water up north but none active.At 2 pm we went South and the water was very green with a few algae peas mixed in,but marked lots of big hooks mostly in 14 to 15 ft of water,but no.action.Then out of no where the wind that was very light out of the NE turned NW and went up to 20 mph,instant 2 to 3 ft waves,but v also instant action.35" off right board and 34" off the left board.The left board went under water on a big wave and broke off the rodholder.Rod went over and I thaught I lost everything until the inside rod on that side went off,it hooked the overboard rod with fish.So we recovered the rod combo,board and 34" muskie.Started moving to set out lines and before I could get the 2nd line out ,the 1st rod went off a smaller 29 1/2" muskie.Finally got all 6 rods back out and we caught a nice 41" muskie on the inside down rod.Then the wind died out and back to washing lures till dark.69 degrees surface water up North and 72 degrees down South.Home for a day and a half,back on the water mid day Friday thru Thursday next week.

Edited by mostlymuskies

We spent most of the day up north,covered the Flats,Dewittvile,Bell Tower,Prendergast Point,Witney Bay,Long Point and Tom's Point,no hits!We went South at 2 pm and more of the same,no hits.We quit at 8:10 pm.I hate East winds & high barometric pressure of 39:35 that is steady.Water surface temp 68 degrees up north and 69 degrees down south.Back out on the water again tomorrow morning.

Edited by mostlymuskies

We started out up north again this morning,winds were about 20 mph out of the South East and waves were 2 ft + white caps.Barometric Pressure was still stick at 30:35!So at noon we decided to quit and go home to watch the Bill's game.I talked to fishermen from 6 other boats,all were like us Skunked!

I have decided to not to return to Chautauqua Lake anymore for this year,will spend remainder of the musky season on the Upper Niagara River.I will also miss the 1st to 15th of December Canadian Waters Upper Niagara River part of the season.I will be in Costa Rica looking at the possibility of doing Rooster fish Guide Trips there in April every year.

The weather has been goofy. I fished the SLR all last week and the barometer never went under 30.4. The surface temps were higher than in July! I could have gone swimming if i wanted to. No muskies,lots of so so northerns and one big walleye. Never saw a bass. Nice to get sunburn late in September but not great for fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was also on Chautauqua this past weekend...and could not get anything going either.   I did not fish as much as i would have liked (had the wife and 3 yo son with me) but was on the lake for a few hours both sat and sun AM/PM... also monday AM with no muskies to the boat.  Ended up perch fishing and catching a ton, which kept my son entertained and happy so it was a good trip anyway.  Will give it another shot in a couple weeks...

Since we have had 4 days of steady Northeast winds on Lake Erie & Niagara River,flowing masses of floating weeds down the river,I will make one last trip down to Chautauqua Lake and take out my friend Dr.Dave Palo out Sunday.I will report the conditions and how we did Sunday night.

Edited by mostlymuskies

FishinNY,After looking at isobar changes on NOAA weather mapping,it showed the winds swinging around out of South SE around 1 pm.This should turn on the feed bag of the muskies on the Niagara River & Chautauqua Lake at wind change.This change will take place earlier at Chautauqua, that is the reason for going there,also Niagara River will still be flushing floating weeds out of Lake Erie for a day or two after wind change.I feel tomorrow may be not only a multiple muskie day,but even a big fish day at Chautauqua Lake!

Water temps at Chautauqua Lake should be getting near mid to low 60's by now with the cooler NE winds and cold nights.The shallows will be the coldest water,so look for muskies to be very shallow between weeds and shore in 3 to 4 ft of water durring day warm up or out deep suspended at warmer water temps 15 to 20 ft down.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Cold and wet out there today. Finally felt like fall. North end is around 63 degrees and south is down to about 59 already (down 10 deg from last weekend) We got some today, with one good one for Dad. All our action was in the major and minor.

post-150846-1443922415364_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Ivan

Bill congrats on a nice Chautauqua fattie!

Dr.Dave & I were to come to Chautauqua today,but he got called for surgery.We will not get down until Tuesday from noon till dark now.Good Luck again today Ivan & Bill!

Edited by mostlymuskies