Left the launch at 6pm and went north and east to about a hundred feet and started setting up. We started out with with dreamweaver ss nbk lures on the riggers at 40 and 50 down which did a nice job on the steelhead. We tried the dipseys with spin doctors and flies using every color combination in the book to no avail. We gave up on flies and changed to lures ,first black and white and later green. the dipsies were out at 160 feet and 185 . They both started catching lakers. All in all 7 steelies and 5 lakers. the lakers were all between 10 and 15 pounds. This time around,we did not use the net even once. We brought the fish alongside the boat  put a jaw clamp on, unhooked and released without the fish ever leaving the water. they all swam away.Non of the lakers had lamprey scars.

All in all a nice day.

Edited by rolmops

Nice job! I started unhooking the same way for lakers, skippy salmon and smaller steelhead. I notice a much shorter revival time and healthier swim away ....and a cleaner boat (no laker crap). However, I did have a larger steelhead that was not completely played out throw a tornament rig and embed the hook in my knuckle last year (had to cut it out)..so be careful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app