Bay Rats for Walleye

jigstick

On Erie where I do most of my fishing, Renosky stickbaits are kind of the standard when it comes to stickbaits and walleye. I want to buy some new stickbaits.  I pretty much have every Renosky, Thunderstick, and Reef Runner that I need.  Does anybody use Bay Rats or Bomber stick baits with any success?

Edited by jigstick

Yes Bay Rats are the new walleye slayers they are all 100% American made and have a strict quality control . Renowskis are junk I won't buy another no more leaky baits or worrying about hook eyes pulling out let alone the front loop and the paint stays on no more Chinese junk for me . Some friends of mine took a tour of the bay rat facilities and they are big boys they grabbed a body out of a rack and hooked leaders to front and back with handles they tried to pull loops out it was a no go. You can ask them yourself look up Point Blank Outdoors on FB or Mark Hitcome they'll tell you personally. Also the color selection is awesome I am slowly stocking up on them .

Which colors have been working for you?  I ordered the Cedar Point, Flashy Muff, and Mystery Machine.  Purples and Chartreuse have always done well for me.

I bought a handful of renowsky's and wow... what poor quality. They ran horribly and had a terrible action and we're so bad you couldn't even fix them through tuning. I'm just stating my experience. I got rid of them all. I'm surprised they work. I've never ever had to touch a bomber out of the package. Great lures on Lake O for walleye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run bay rats and rynowskys both catch fish and Bay Rats are by far better quality. The rynowskys always need to be tuned and the hooks and paint quality is poor.

With that being said we will catch more fish on rynowskys then any other lure hands down. Bagley's still and always will work, great lure with great quality. In a short synopsis rynowskys quality is not as good as the others but they catch more fish. This is especially true at slower speeds. Just my opinion.

I agree with the above by RD9 , i havent run enough bay rats to really compare.  I definitely upgrade the hooks on the Renoskys.  Although my buddy ordered some this week and said  they were different than the last time i ordered them.   I have never had a renosky out of tune.  Bay rats are going to run 2.50 more a bait and i can buy a lot of hooks for that.  The paint quality on the Renosky isnt as good buy they catch the heck out of fish.   Sound familiar? (michigan stinger spoons) .  

How does the action of the Bay Rats compare to the Renosky?  The Renoskys have such a nice wobble to them at walleye trolling speeds.  Ive had to tune of few of my Renoskys, but by no means are they horrible in that way.  I use a lot of the Mirror image ones and the finish on them seems to hold up ok for me.  I have broken a few hooks on them.  But I always take the front hook off to start, so I have extras in my box.  The spacing on the hooks for the Bay Rats seems to be farther apart than the Renosky.  Im hoping that doesnt change my landing rate.  A lot of times my walleye have both trebles of the Renosky burried in their lips.

Edited by jigstick

Tighter wobble on bay rats, more like a reef runner or old Dave ka boom lure. Bay rat has awesome color selection. I actually tried to buy rynowskys blanks and have them painted, but I was told no, which is understandable. Bay Rats are great lures, but Rynowskis have caught so many fish they are hard not to put out for me. 10 color and pinky always catches fish. Hologram pink is our favorite.

The hooks that come on the Renoskys are terrible.. I've had perch bend them! The finish isn't much better.. I've had them actually split down the back. That said.. I've caught more walleyes on them than any other bait! I am anxious to try the Bay Rat though. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Bay rats are nice but they have flaws just like them all I have had 3 of them take in water and one of them wouldn't tune. But yes good lures all in all. It will take alot of time for them to catch up to Bagleys storms and power dive minnows bombers and renoskys if ever! they all have defective problems. But I have seen renoskys catch alot of eyes hands down one of the best sticks to have out junk paint hooks or not!!!!!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nick I will replace those Bay rats if they are leaking. I run Bay Rats exclusively for stick baits now and my catch rates have not dropped its actually increased a bit. No more hooks pulling, lures leaking, bent or broken hooks and 100% made in the USA right in Erie PA. I was one of the guys that toured the plant that Bailey spoke of and I will tell you the quality is bar none. It takes about 25 minutes to make one lure from start to finish and all hand painted by just 2 guys. I am a dealer for Bay Rat you can call me at 716 796 5372. My boat will be at Sturgeon Point on the gas dock for the week of the Southtowns tournament. Call me on phone or the radio on channel 68 and ill get you hooked up with some Rat's. I will have about 100 or so lures with me if anyone is interested. Thanks, Jim  

Jim fishkiller16 has gone out of his way to make things right once again one of the best guys you can do business with! Goes for them bay rats they said they will give me new lures for the 3bad ones no cost now lets see anyone else do that no way won't happen. Ill buy more rats!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I love renosky and they catch a ton of Ontario eyes

You and me both, I have caught more this year on the renoskys than any other bait.  My father in law went into the barn and took my 2 rods with them on it.  He bought 3 more renoskys for himself after using mine.  Once in a while you get a leaky one just call them, same goes for any other bait. If you guys want you can send me a PM and I'll pay the shipping for them. The mirror image produces the most fish for me.

Fire tiger, clown color, black and purple, leopard and pink hologram are all good in 5 inch.

I do like the watermelon and purple muffin bay rats also. They have caught us some nice eyes this year.

I use both the crystallina and mirror image Renosky stick baits for walleye. The purple and pink colors always produce. Wonderbread, chartreuse, perch, leopard, and trout work well too.

Yesterday afternoon we started out bottom bouncing worm harnesses off Woodlawn Bar, was very slow on caught one walleye from 5 pm to 8 pm and did not mark muck in 37 to 38 ft of water.At 8 pm we switched over to Golbie Bay Rats and trolled back to South Gap.Just inside the end of the outer wall we quickly picked up two 4 to 5 lb walleyes going 1.5 mph with electric trolling motor.We could have caught more but had to be home by 10 pm.