Water circulating pump help needed

Misty IV

The boat is currently down due to a bad starter. While I was taking the old starter off last week to bring home, I noticed the water circulating pump on the front of the engine was leaking. So, when I go up next weekend to install the new starter, I plan on doing the circulating pump, also.

Problem is, they list (2) different pumps depending if the engine has a composite or stamped steel timing cover. I don't know which it has and won't until I see it for myself. Is there a breakdown list of which years used the composite and which used the steel?

Engine is a MerCruiser 4.3L, 2bbl with the Thunderbolt ignition and rated 190hp. The original engine was a 2000 model year, however, the previous owner "forgot" to winterize the engine prior to the 2004-05 winter and the block cracked. It received a replacement engine from Jasper in 2005 and I bought the boat a few months later. Any help is appreciated!

In your situation I don't think anyone can give you a strait up answer due to the jasper up grade, the best bet is to inspect the timing cover yourself then take the old one with you to match it up. I have found many times that the book reads this from factory, but the aftermarket stuff they have a tendency to mix and match!!!

That's what I was afraid of. I took pictures of the old one still on the engine to try and match up, but the composite and steel cover pumps look identical in pictures I've seen, which makes me wonder what is it about the different covers that dictates a different pump. Thanks for the reply, pap!

Are you doing this repair in water? Remember to crimp the intake hose from pickup as a surge could occur and fill the boat up while you're at the parts store. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Why not take the old one with and get the right one!! Save yourself a return trip and you'll need the old one for a core anyway unless you buy a brand new one, that will probably be made in China