I can't comment on the Mag-5s, but I love my Mag-10s. Only difference is the 10s have the extendable booms. I've always used Cannons, but been on boats with Scotty's and Big Jon's. They all seem to do the job fine. I, like you, had the manuals, and just plain got tired of cranking them up, especially when the ball was 100+ feet down. The electrics make your fishing time so much more enjoyable. Good luck in your decision!

had both, i guess I prefer big johns, have a pair of older cannons for sale if interested, long arms, swivel bases, balls and releases text 6073426209

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can't say much about the Big Jon's other than, a friend had 2 manuals that I kept getting my fingers pinched in them. Just my inexperience I guess.

I Bought the Cannon 10 STX's for my boat 4 years ago and have had excellent results with them. Some say they are too fast and the bounce when they come to a stop. They do, so I bought 2 of the Amish Outfitters, 6 inch snubbers. This really takes care of the bounce.

I highly recommend the 10STX's and also recommend using the snubbers.

Good luck with your search.

Boat Safe

Egoody

I can't say much about the Big Jon's other than, a friend had 2 manuals that I kept getting my fingers pinched in them. Just my inexperience I guess.

I Bought the Cannon 10 STX's for my boat 4 years ago and have had excellent results with them. Some say they are too fast and the bounce when they come to a stop. They do, so I bought 2 of the Amish Outfitters, 6 inch snubbers. This really takes care of the bounce.

I highly recommend the 10STX's and also recommend using the snubbers.

Good luck with your search.

Boat Safe

Egoody

Where do you attach them to? Curious as I don't really mind the bounce, but if I can get rid of the bounce I wouldn't mind that either.

ben:

Eliminate all of the sudden stopping & starting by getting Traxtech riggers, they have a 5' soft start & stop, plus many other great features.  I have been running four of them for two years & they are by far the best riggers I have owned (have had bigjon brutes, & cannon).

John

http://shop.traxstech.com/Downrigger-Elite-Series-400-of-cable-DRES-400.htm

Edited by Iceman