If u could only have one

You'll def. wanna add to your arsenal. Only have riggers is limiting your catch rate. As far as only catching smaller kings, it could just be the location you fished. You'll get bigger ones as the season progresses. Simply adding leadcore, copper, wire or braid dipseys set ups will give you another dimesion to your spread. Sometimes its a rigger bite, then its a dipsy bite. Copper can be deadly too. My advice if you're a serious salmon troller would be to go to a quality baitshop and ask them to set you up with a couple dipseys, flasher fly setups, spoons etc. Most bait shops have charter captains or ex captains working there. Just be sure to ask lots of questions and bring your wallet. This is a very expensive sport. It will take you years to figure it all out. Lots of researching on forums and googling helps too.

Edited by bhf76

Narrowing it down to one combo is tough.  Two is a lot easier!  My two favorites are the Live Wire Spin Doctor with a Green Crinkle Atommik or the Hammertime Spin Doctor with a Green Hammer Atommik. 

Not that I want more competition for grabbing good used gear, but keep an eye on the for sale section as many times you can get really good equipment lightly used. But be ready to jump on things as the good stuff goes fast at times.

Another great resource for me was to go to the LOTSA show in February (I think, should be posted on here when it gets closer) or other tackle flea markets as many times the guys selling at those are great to pick their brains on what to buy and how to run them if you don't know.

Given only one, I'd stay with the rigg'r.  Bottom lure about 15ft longer than the top and about 7-10 below it.  Top being a flasher/fly that matches the spoon.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Just from a guy who started this about 3 years ago and some of the best advice I got was tune in your Riggers and Dipsey's and hone in your boat driving and turning before even trying Leadcore and Copper. As I was going trying to do it all at once also, it can be very confusing at times. Plus, not sure how big your boat is or what your beam size is, running alot also cause bigger messes then its worth (and with copper can get expensive). Get confident in your tackle selection, do that by good'ole fishing time. I'm now just starting to get confident in my spoon selection and F/F Combo's of what I put down there on certain days, as I still struggle to catch fish on spoons at times.

This year will be the first year I get a Leadcore setup and start trying that, plus going to start learning meat rigs this year also.

Just take it one step at a time, just some advice take it or leave it.

We have a 19 ft tracker been running that off and on for 5 or so years. Most of the time I run 2 riggers 2 dipseys. Slding cheater on one rigger. Dipseys I use flashers/flys riggers I switch up. At times I putleadcore down the chute. This year ill put 300 copper there. Or instead of one of the dipseys ill put the copper out on a planer. Just started getting fish on spoons last season because I finally devoted time to the. Flasher fly combos keep changing for me. Thus the pile I've accumulated lol