Wanted to get some kind of gps mainly just for accurate speed display. Bought a refurb megellon tritan 400 handheld, no printed manual, gotta go on line, directions are mumbo jumbo to this geezer, phoned help #, they couldn't hardly speak English and had no knowledge of product so I returned it. Can any one recommend a resonable priced product that will give accurate speed? (and easy to figure out how to use)

Can you say Garmin?

A simple 182 with or without a lake ontario map if it is for speed. It comes in black and white or in color. These GPS units out of production but you can still get them on E-Bay.

thanks for those ideas, guys. I hadn't thought about the car gps. I recently bought a new one and will try out the old one I have out in the garage. I'm also going to look at the others. Thanks again.

Lowrance makes one specifically for water which is hand held called the H2O. They aren't real expensive and they will give sog and the GPS stuff. I use one for a backup to my depth finder/GPS. It is AA battery powered and have a plug to plug into a receptacle on the boat as well.

Edited by Sk8man

GPS speed and lure speed at the ball can be very different.  You are better off getting a speed and temp unit.  This past weekend we had a GPS speed of 3.0 but at the ball we were doing 1.9-2.1 down 40'. 

Wow that is a big difference.... I was trying for some lakers this weekend and I was seeming a lot of fish on the bottom at 120 FOW on the depth finder but didn't move a rod.. I am just trying to figure out what I was doing wrong... My GPS was reading 1.4-1.8.. I guess I gotta play around some more on the lake to figure it out..

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United