Monel trolling wire

I currently run 65 pound power pro which I know I could be using something a little lighter but I bought it at a amazing price. But I currently just added two more rod holders on my traxtech. I was wondering people input on monel vs just stainless steel wire and also if 300 is sufficient or if 1000 is truly necessary for running a second set of dipseys off each side. I appreciate any input. Also is twili tips enough or is replacing the guides or buying rods with all rollers a better idea.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've tried monel single strand 50# test in both fresh and salt water. I had to use carboloid guides because of the higher abrasiveness of the material.

With 7 stranded or 19 stranded wire you can see a single strand going bad and replace it . this saves your terminal tackle. The monel single strand tends to break off without warning and you will loose all hardware. If you want to change to wire line ,it may be better to go to a multi strand stainless.

You need 1000' of wire.  If your dipsy is out 300' late summer you need 500' of back up in case you get a big one.  With you new to wire consider getting torpedo 19 strand at the Slippery Sinker as it is more user friendly.  Also, Wes has twilli tips for your rod.  Gently flame the stock tip with a lighter until you feel the epoxy loosen.  Pull off the tip and clean the rod surface.  Heat up rod epoxy stick and apply to the tip, slide the twilli tip on.  Have your dad hold the spool of wire with a stick thru the spool as a spindle and using oven mitts apply tension to the spool.  Wind the wire on tight.  After all the wire is on the reel tie on a heavy swivel (use a spin doc swivel).  Go down to the school and tie off on a chain link fence and walk all the wire off the reel.  With the rod tight walk and reel all the wire back onto the reel as this step will lay the wire perfectly back onto the spool.  You are  ready to catch a hog. Check out the LOTSA site or Captain Ernie's Fish Doctor web page on how to tie a wire knot.

Thanks dr. Chad I am familiar with wire knots from runnings in saltwater and I just wanted to.make sure before I spent the cash on the extra line. I also switched out 3 tips already for lead core and copper and it was much easier than I thought it would be. You don't think I need to put rollers anywhere or anything of the sort with them do i?

Over the years I've used about every type of wire out there whether on Seth Green rigs, or pulling copper or wire rigs in everything from 20 lb test to 80 lb and I can tell you that Monel wire sinks nicely but that is about the only positive connected with it :lol:  I currently still have it on my A and S automatic reel (for pulling/ jerking) wire because it is thinner diameter and cuts through the water a bit better than copper wire so I can get more of it on the reel but it is truly terrible in terms of kinking (as it is incredibly soft wire). Seven strand or 19 strand stainless wire  is the way to go with any wire rig and braided copper is the way to go for copper rigs and single strand copper is best for jerking copper (bottom fishing). An additional thing (or alternate method) with the great tips from Gill T is the first time you go out on the boat after putting on new stainless wire is put a 1 or 2 lb sinker on the swivel and run out to deep water and let out a bunch of the wire and rewind it under that tension and it will seat nicely on the reel spool. Also make sure when the wire is put on the reel in the first place that the level wind guide lines up straight with the wire (i.e. not on an angle).

Edited by Sk8man

So putting on 80 wouldn't be over kill due to fact I am planning on going to saltwater again soon and was going to spool my Penn squall 60LD with something a bit heavier

Monel is designed to be used in the manor which we deploy copper or lead core. Used on a dipsey the thickness of it would cause unwanted blowback which will cause you dipseys to run higher.

Wait I thought monel was thin and used to with dipseys to cut through the water better letting you get less blow back and get deeper faster am I mistaken?

Stranded SS wire is designed for use with dipseys, tumper, divers. More supple than monel (single strand). monel is mainly used in salt water because braid and core would not withstand the corrosive action of the water. 20 or 30# wire. My personal preference is 30#.

Like many things in life the selection of the pound test whether wire or braid or mono is a matter of compromise. It boils down to using something that gives you what you need for the job without as many potential drawbacks as possible. Usually things that are specifically designed for a particular purpose perform better than multipurpose items. In most situations with fishing lines this is the case.  All things being equal the larger the diameter of line regardless of material  the less nicely it will cut through the water and achieve comparable depth with a lesser diameter of the same material.  In most cases you would be best served by dedicating specific rods and reels for salt vs. fresh water and the lines would be selected taking into consideration the substantial differences in requirements. I think 80 lb test in fresh water is substantial "overkill" given the available species because even with something  like muskies you can use small diameter titanium leaders. The main reason for using relatively high pound test with braid in fresh water is because of the use of boards where the additional strength may be needed pulling through rough water. The decision should usually be what is the smallest diameter line with the best strength for the species you'll be targeting with the equipment you'll be using.  I know a lot of folks on here seem to have an aversion to roller tips vs. twilli tips and twillis may be less expensive and will usually get the job done but I believe they are harder on the wire over time than roller tips and perhaps more prone to kinking. I have wire on a few of my roller rigs that is over 30 years old that I still have full trust in. I haven't had any problems or breakage with 30 lb test ss wire despite numerous kings on it.

Edited by Sk8man

Thank you for your replies I just have not found too many rods that are roller guide the proper length and action besides a Shimano and a okuma

I like marlin 7 to 1 strand wire color coffee 1000ft on 10ft ugly stik dipsy rod with twili tip I used some mono backing on the reel to keep wire from spinning on reel. never been spooled came close on nice 35 ponder took 5th place in the loc derby the other guys with me pulled the other rods then we chase the fish down. to me wire rods sounds great when fish start ripping off wire

good luck have fun