STARCRAFT ISLANDER 26

BOUGHT ISLANDER IN ONTARIO FROM LAKE HURON TRYING TO CLEAN THE HULL HAS A BROWNISH GRIT LIKE COATING  ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO REMOVE THIS FROM THE HULL TRYED POWER WASHER DOES NOT COME OFF ITS LIKE CONCRETE NEED HELP

When I pulled my islander out of the Hudson River after a month at dock it had nasty crud, algae and zebra mussels . I power washed all the stuff I could but it still left the brown scum and still looked nasty.

I used simple green , scotch brite pads , elbow grease and a final spray down with the power washer again .

Looks like new again now !! Scrub , scrub , scrub !!

My suggestion is after you get it cleaned off is to wax and buff the heck out of it ( I didn't ) before you drop it back in the water ( did this time ) It will help removing the scum the next time.

When I first bought my boat it was a mess, the guy pulled the boat out of a slip from Lake Onieda took it home and parked it in a barn and just covered the top from the windshield to the back, never washed it. 18 years later I buy this mess needles to say I tried everything to get the thick brown $hit off, after power washing it I and getting the thicker stuff off I ended up using a compound made by 3M it was the most aggressive compound they make and I used a 8" sander/polisher and I spent a week getting that crap off, but it looks like new again. Then I used a wax called Meguiar's Flagship premium MarineWax which also has cleaners in it, it was easy to put on but most importantly it was real easy to remove. This year I just went over the boat with the same wax and with in a few hours (3 max) it was done and shined like a new one. What's the best wax was a thread on here last year and many folks said how good this stuff was and I tried it, they were right. The compound I used was also mentioned it was a 3M product and I think it was like 1100 or 1300 I think that's the grit but I'm not sure. I don't know how else I could have done it. I will say I hurt in places I didn't know even existed!!! LOL. Good luck with it. Oh yea I burned up a Dewalt polisher that polisher really had power. Dewalt gave me another one no questions asked, I smelled it when I was about 3/4 done with the compounding.

Ok I have THE answer http://slimygrimy.com/ I had this thick layer of brown crap on my Islander and tried EVERYTHING short of a grinder.

Someone on a forum told me SlimyGrimy. 

I mixed as instructed and started spraying the bow and worked my way around the boat, By the time I got to the starting point the boat was WHITE AGAIN!!!

I don't know how it works, but it didn't even kill the grass the was under the boat! (on trailer of course).

Don't screw around, DO IT you wont believe it!

post-151850-0-49516100-1433556544_thumb.jpg

Edited by DannyL

Slimy grimy is an acid wash usually used on fglass. I have used it on al but dont let it on too long

Mix with near boiling water and spray on with a yard type sprayer. Rubber gloves and scotchbrite while wet os the way to go

Sent from my SM-G730V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Slimy Grimy is the best. When I bought my bright yellow 1974 Reinelle, you could not even tell it was yellow. I thought someone put anti-foul on the bottom....that's how filthy it was. Within 2 days I had it polished, and now you can see your reflection in it.    

Heed the advise from other about hot water, and how long to leave it on. It will eat the gel coat quickly.

Also, it still requires elbow grease. If you want clean and shiny....you got to scrub and buff.

Steam cleaning is supposed to be great as well, but I have never tried it.