Took advantage of the nice weather yesterday and took my 9 yr old daughter out for a quick trip on Lady O after work. Did not find many fish at all on the graph anywhere from 50' to 110'. Caught one though and that was all we needed to make it awesome. 34" 16lb 20" girth Lake Trout = One happy girl! According to the story she wrote about it "It was a fighter and a flopper". Just bought this little Lund boat and already need to get a bigger one...

When we were leaving the house I told my wife that my daughter was going to catch the biggest fish of her life. 45 minutes of fishing later I was right.

post-155213-14334707489979_thumb.jpgpost-155213-14334707661445_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

O my god what a great fish for her first laker, her smile tells it all. Excellent job dad. I bet it was as exciting for you as it was for her. Very nice pics. also. Going to be hard to beat that one, but with all that excitement I'm sure she will be raring to go again!! I think you will have a partner for life now!! Congrats to you and your daughters day!!!

Edited by pap

Very nice, I don't respond often. But this deserved recognition. Great job dad. Get the bigger boat, save that one for tributaries.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Very nice, I don't respond often. But this deserved recognition. Great job dad. Get the bigger boat, save that one for tributaries.

Really like your boats name, that cool!!

Thank you, keep it up. Need any help on finding fish or setting up. I'm here.

Thanks I will keep that in mind!!

I also have a 16.5 lund bass boat. As well as my baha cruiser. Started with the lund. Had to go bigger. Have 25 years on Lake O. I start early( April 3rd) follow fish all year. I'm usually first boat in water. Out of the genny.

If every kid had good parents like this what a difference it would make - nice job Dad, she will be your forever little girl and by the looks of it fishing partner as well.

Congratulations!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Edited by Morgan-E

That pic says it all and is a prime example of why we should take the time to expose youngsters to our sport.  It is one of the best ways to really get to know your own children. It is the perfect setting to tactfully deal with "issues" sometimes as well as there is no place to run or hide or avoid yet offers a lot of opportunities for positive reinforcement of good behavior.  The side benefits of that exposure can be life changing for both parents and children....don't ever sell it short. :yes:  Nice job Dad.

I have an 18th month old and another on the way. I cannot wait for these moments! I'm thinking 5 or 6 would be the earliest I would even consider taking them out for this kind of fishing but would like to hear from others who have already been through it?

Enjoy. That is one heck of a lake trout for anybody regardless of age. Nice job!

Edited by A-Lure-A

I started my son out slow at 2 1/2 yrs ice fishing (first time 1/2 hr.) and on his third birthday he caught a 3 lb rainbow on Seneca Lake trolling with me and I think that fish sealed the deal for him. At 8 yrs he caught a 32 lb salmon on 12 lb test line on Lake O and after catching it he hugged my leg and said "I love you dad" It was one of the most meaningful days of my life.  My advice is to "ease" them into it gradually in terms of time spent out there....we take the long days for granted but kids have a very different sense of time and if the action is slow it can certainly dampen their enthusiasm. have someone on shore standby if they are very young and give them a brief taste and then run them back to shore as soon as they appear "bored" or tired of it.  I used to let my daughters each read their books up in the front of the boat  and my son play with his GI Joe men there etc. until we had action and I didn't keep them out all day long either. My son has been my fishing partner for over 30 years now and we're still at it (derby tomorrow too :) )

post-145411-0-48039000-1433512861_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-96984200-1433513063_thumb.jpg

I have an 18th month old and another on the way. I cannot wait for these moments! I'm thinking 5 or 6 would be the earliest I would even consider taking them out for this kind of fishing but would like to hear from others who have already been through it?

Enjoy. That is one heck of a lake trout for anybody regardless of age. Nice job!

A-lure-A I have twin girls and around 4 they wanted a fishing pole from the Easter Bunny, by golly he brought them their first Barbie pole, I ripped the scrap line off and put 6# Trylene XL on, I put a hula hoop in the drive way and told them we aren't going to the stream or the pond until we get 7 out of 10 cast into the hula hoop. The outfits came with a rubber weight to cast with. It didn't take long and all I heard was dad let's practice casting, about a week and they had down like a science!! So off to the stream we go down to my grandmothers house, they stock that stream heavy, soon dad I'm stuck, I don't think so reel in a little and then the drag started to sing, that was the best ever to see the excitement in their eyes is just priceless!!! Then we went to our pond that I stock with trout and there are some 10#+ rainbows and brownies in there with the majority over 20"s so we spent a lot of time at the pond, I made them fish barbless there and they would get mad when one would get off, but they learned to keep the line tight, and they liked the idea of not hurting the fish and they liked watching them swim back to the deep they would say. 3 years ago they were 7 and I brought them up to the camp, I didn't bring my boat up I had to much work to do on it yet, so I used my uncles 16ft the first thing they asked was where are going to go PEE, there's no toilet on this boat!! Well you go before we leave and hope you don't have to until we get back in, well this didn't go very well buy they went, my boat has a head on it. That day Emily caught her first walleye a nice 26" fish she was jumping around and said she caught the same kind of fish dad fishes for, it wasn't much longer Elizabeth caught her first small mouth, and it was a nice one it took her awhile to get that one in, she was so excited as it stripped drag, dad,dad what do I do, just reel line in when you can but not when the drags singing soon she landed a respectable smallie. By the time it all settled down 4 1/2 hours went buy with little rock bass and Sunnys and gobies they wouldn't take them off but the other fish they did which surprised me, but we had to go back in because they had to PEE. That was the last time they went fishing because not much later is when I fell and busted up my back, three surgeries later and 3 years later they got me as good as it's going to be, I got my boat up to camp, but my first outing of 3hrs I blew my lower unit, but my new one will be here Saturday and the kids get out Tuesday of next week so I hoping I can get up Wednesday to install the lower unit, because they already want to know when can they go fishing because dads back is better. You really don't understand what life is all about until you have kids and get them involved in the outdoors where quality time spent together enjoying the things you like to do. Now that there're 10 it's great they have their own personalities and humor, it's great being a dad!! Best of luck with your children, they will be fine and big in no time.

Congratulations, that is an awesome way to start them out. I can remember telling my daughter when she was younger and I took her for the first time, that she was going to catch fish longer than her arm. I took her to Canandaigua and got into some nice Lakers in front of Vine Valley. She was so excited and I was right. Gotta love taking kids fishing.