A stupid quesion about spoons !

Been searching on-line and an spoon manufactures websites, but can't find a specific answer I am looking for :

Some spoons I have bought have split rings on them, and some do not come with split rings. I assume you should run all spoons with split rings ???

Also, do you run "swivel snaps" on the spoon rather than just plain old "snaps" without swivels ?

Last one (I promise), when running a spin doctor with a spoon, do you put a snap swivel on the end of the spin doctor, and on the spoon ?

Thanks guys !!

There was a fairly long debate on this topic over the winter - you can search for that thread, but I believe the general concensus was 50/50 between rings and no rings.  Someone contacted Michigan Stinger, who said that they design their spoons to be run without rings, while other guys like the added protection provided by the more free swinging nature of the spoon on a ring, and/or additional action by using a ring and a swivel.  This long and short is, it comes down to personal preference.  If I buy a spoon with a ring on it, I run it with a ring, if not, I don't.

As far as running a spoon behind a spinny, I personally don't do it - but I would imagine there is a lot of line twist going on there, and swivels will help cut down on it.  FWIW, it may be worth running a barrel swivel between the spinny and spoon as well.

Chris

Chris covered it beautifully...ditto on his answer :yes::)

P.S. There is no such thing as a "stupid" question if asked in earnest.

Edited by Sk8man

Chris, Thanks for the info and advise. I like the concept of using what the manufacturer provided. It makes my life easier to trust what I buy !

Salmo, Thanks for the link. I did a few searches on swivels here and didn't come across that one. It is an interesting read -

Sk8man, your post always have a lot of insight.....I enjoy reading what you write. You have straightforward advise which helps a guy like me. It is nice to know that questions are answered without criticism no matter how stupid I think the question is !!!!  

What I see, a lot is a guys will spend $20.00 for a lure and what (I) personally think people don't under stand is that without quality terminal tackle that lure isn't worth the box it came in, cheap swivels 20 for $2.99 will not let that lure work to its potential!! Quality swivels that have the snap attached have a unique shaped snap that will allow the lure or what ever to move as free as possible and the bearing is made with quality so that it will spin under the lightest amount resistance, resulting in no line twist or free movement of your lure, long short of things is you have a $70.00 rod-$150.00 reel the best line and top shelf lure tied to a $.25 swivel, and Johnny has all second hand, flea market outfit but quality terminal tackle and out fishes you every time!!! That's how he's doing it.

Tuffishooker/Pap,

You don't have to worry about me scrimping on the terminal side of fishing. As much money as I have invested in this 5 day trip.....a few extra dollars isn't going to make a difference. Getting the right sizes might be difficult for me, but I just by 3 or 4 of everything :).

All the swivels and snaps I have bought are SPRO......so I hope I am on the right track.

I like the idea of just running it as is out of the box. I am too much of a newbie to try anything out of the ordinary or complicated. I am beginning to overwhelm myself with details !!

You guys are great - Thanks a million !!!

Yea your on the right track with SPRO you will be fine, time and perseverance will prevail I promise you that!! Just relax and enjoy your trip!