Canandaigua lake derby

Tough fishing, sad when you throw back money fish because you think they are too small :puke: . Hopefully the fishery isn't in as bad a shape as our depthfinder showed - not a lot of bait and very few lakers visible. we did 12 hours Saturday and 8.5 Sunday with very little to show.

Bob

Definitely one of the toughest and least productive derbies I've ever fished and a minor nightmare going solo. My daughter in law hit a deer with her car the day before so my son had to deal with that so even though registered he couldn't fish.  The wind was brutal both days so both speed and direction were problematic. The fish and bait were VERY scattered and the ones marked would not hit despite changing lures and rigs what seemed like a million times.  I only scored two fish - both lakers one about five and the other 6 lbs. (both released unharmed).  Like Bob I fished 12 hrs (or more) on Saturday and 7 on Sunday. The only spoon that worked in the whole arsenal was a Great Lakes spoon (see pic) and I lost it shortly after the pic because the wind blew it out of my hand when changing.  I did have some rather interesting screens on the depth finder though and I'll include them for you screen jockeys to scope out. One of them was real interesting....the one where I sent my spinney down and it was picked up by the transducer twirling around....pretty good example of the turbulence they create in the water :lol: . You can see from the speeds the effects of the wind and wave action on my speed and surface clutter etc. I won't go into the launch ramp fiasco that awaited me on Sunday afternoon, or the drawbacks to running three 5 leader rigs solo in heavy winds :)

post-145411-0-66037100-1433718748_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-74018900-1433718770_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-76461100-1433718786_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-87073300-1433718800_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-76009800-1433718815_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-48648300-1433718907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Man Les, I didn't think it could get any worse for Mike and I getting skunked on Owasco, but you at least caught some. Hope all is well the deer situation. What was the story with some monster Browns caught but couldn't enter them in the derby?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I wouldn't feel too bad about the skunk  Mike. You're both real good at the game and work well together....that lake has always been an "on and off" lake for me. I love fishing it but when I do I mostly go with thermocline rigs to increase the odds a bit.  Also throw into the mix that it is June  and I know a lot of the guys I know are even having trouble on Seneca and Lake O seems to be screwed up (temps etc.) right now.  Once the thermocline sets up it should be "game on". The water temp on Canandaigua ran about 62-63 on average today and I'm wondering if we have some real warm weather that the fleas may end up being ahead of schedule this season...and that wouldn't be real great.

I didn't hear anything about the brown situation

Edited by Sk8man

As stated above this was the toughest derby I've ever fished. We went 5 for 7 on cookie cutter Lakers Saturday, Sunday just 3 for 5 same deal fishing the north end. Saturday we got a late start, a flat tire on the boat trailer in the staging lot on the north end is never a good way to kick things off! Sunday got the early start, Long story short. Came by the pump house in 35 fow, I had literally just turned away from that rigger and walked to the helm to grab a spoon I had set out for a lead core when I heard the tell tale splash and slap of very large very pissed off cartwheeling something. So I ran to the rigger and cranked like a mad man. Had it on maybe 15 seconds flipped 2 more times, charged the back deck and shook the spoon. Conseritave estimate of a 7+ pound rainbow. That one will haunt me a while. As with everyone else I threw the kitchen sink at them, even tried my old standby of pulling wire. Back to the big lake for me next weekend to start pre fishing for the upcoming atomik challenges and sodus pro am. Tight lines to all!

Man Les, I didn't think it could get any worse for Mike and I getting skunked on Owasco, but you at least caught some. Hope all is well the deer situation. What was the story with some monster Browns caught but couldn't enter them in the derby?

I don't know about Browns but I did a charter Saturday morning with 3ppl that weren't entered and as could be expected our first fish would have been a money fish. We did weigh the big Laker at the North end weigh station so maybe thats part of the rumor??

I don't know about Browns but I did a charter Saturday morning with 3ppl that weren't entered and as could be expected our first fish would have been a money fish. We did weigh the big Laker at the North end weigh station so maybe thats part of the rumor??

Could be.... Nice catch anyway.