I-Bay 6/7/15 AM - spectacular fishing in "Rochester" keeps on going ***UPDATE:VIDEO ADDED***

Here's the video folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGYOjc3Px3w

Hello LOU friends,

I fished with my great buddy Anthony and once again today and we went into the morning with a game plan to focus offshore and focus on the top water given the hand that we were dealt with steady North and NE wind for the past few days. We motored out to 550' after dipping our toes in the 160 fow area only to see a barren screen so we continued our venture on out to 550'. On our way, we made a mental note of a rather sharp break around 340', but kept on going for some reason only to find an ice bath of clear 39-40 degree water on top. We fished it for about 15 minutes until we decided to pull rods and head back to the break in shallower.

The break was still there so we fished it hard as the only boat out there, and we were rewarded with non stop steelhead and lake trout action. We also had a steady pick of lake trout and steelhead on our entire south troll back to port, from 340 fow to 180' on our concluding troll back to port.

We fished everything in the top 15', and every single rod took fish today: riggers 15' and 17', surface lines with a 3/8 ounce keel weight, 3 and five color cores and slide divers all in the top 15'.

Colors and speed mattered today - they wanted it no more than 2.25 on the Subtroll, but no less than 2, and it was a 100% spoon bite on reds, yellows, carmel dolphin and whites. Anything green, black or blue did not produce. Given previous analyses on the color spectrum and lure depth, it makes sense why these worked today.

We finished the day 18 for 19, with three successful doubles and the largest steel around 8# and the largest laker 15#. We did not catch any kings today. FWIW, the times when the bite slowed for us, it was b/c we were dragging fish on the riggers.

Once again I will go to bat for Rochester as it seems to have been the most consistent port this year.

Hopefully I'll get the Gopro video up this week. Thanks again to Anthony for another spectacular day! He was the master of multitasking on our doubles!

Good luck to all - go get 'em friends,

Chris

Edited by momay4000

Excellent job Cris, making that journey in N-NE winds is a shot to think twice about!! But it payed off for you guys. Congrats to all aboard, nice report!!

Capt Chris have done it right once again with his arsenels loaded on the top water column.

When we headed north, the water became ice cold and the screen became void of fish, Chris was very quick to decide to pull all rods out of the water and motored back to the 50's water temp. That was when the first set of doubles occurred. The rest of the morning kept us busy and happy.

A good fisherman must pay attention to the little details and be willing to go back to square zero to start over.

Thanks again, Chris for the good times on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Capt Chris have done it right once again with his arsenels loaded on the top water column.

When we headed north, the water became ice cold and the screen became void of fish, Chris was very quick to decide to pull all rods out of the water and motored back to the 50's water temp. That was when the first set of doubles occurred. The rest of the morning kept us busy and happy.

A good fisherman must pay attention to the little details and be willing to go back to square zero to start over.

Thanks again, Chris for the good times on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's a team effort my great friend in everything we do out there......there's nobody I trust more than you when we're out there on the water!

Also - Rochester really has a great network of amateur and professional anglers who are always generous to share in their experiences to help others catch fish.

Good luck friends,

Chris

Thanks Chris great footage again!

I don't know if everyone realizes the time and effort it takes to download and edit the GoPro footage great work on both accounts.

Dan - thanks so much for saying this - it means a lot.

Tight lines buddy - and same goes to you for all your great reports and videos!

Chris

Hey Chris, great fishing, great video, great report! My daughter and I would love to achieve what you have, We are kind of a newbie's, out of Sodus Bay and I wanted to ask. When you find the temp. break, do you fish the warm side or cooler side? Also, what where you referring to, when you mention that given the previous analysis of color spectrum and lure depth it make sense why those colors worked that day?

Thanks, Fishen Fool (me) and Summer Fun (my daughter)

Hey Chris, great fishing, great video, great report! My daughter and I would love to achieve what you have, We are kind of a newbie's, out of Sodus Bay and I wanted to ask. When you find the temp. break, do you fish the warm side or cooler side? Also, what where you referring to, when you mention that given the previous analysis of color spectrum and lure depth it make sense why those colors worked that day?

Thanks, Fishen Fool (me) and Summer Fun (my daughter)

I will fish both sides of the break by zig zagging back and forth (especially if a scum line is present) but usually in the spring the warmer side of the break is the best for me.

As far as lure color, a few times on LOU (and I believe Keating and some of the local salmon seminars have covered this too), there is a corrolation between light penetration in the water based on light wavelength and what will stand out at certain depths.

As I understand it, red/orange and yellow color doesn't penetrate the water very well so lures in these colors stand out more at surface depths between 0-30', whereas purple color can penetrate the water deeper so purple colors work better at deeper depths. Green and blue falls somewhere in between. That's my 30,000' view on it, but I know guys have posted on this before.

Good luck,

Chris

Valuable lesson this video regarding eye safety.  You do this long enough there will be a spoon coming back at your at subsonic speed.  ALWAYS wear sun glasses or other protective eyewear!  Wearing a cup is optional in my boat.