Hi all!

This is my first thread started here. Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to reading all of your shared info!

Heading up to Black Lake in a few weeks for a nice 4 day camping/fishing trip. Anybody here familiar with Black Lake?

We are kind of excited at the possiblity of a musky as none of the 4 of us has ever caught one. Anybody got any advice? Thanks in advance.

-PikeAssassin

Welcome! Read through the sticky at the top of the esox page, gives you some great info on handling and releasing these crazy yet delicate fish. I would say to make sure you have the proper release equipment and an organized boat with everything within reach.

Hook cutters are an absolute necessity for everyone's safety, knock on wood but I haven't been hooked to a fish yet. Last week we had a 42" in the net with just one hook left to get out, naturally it rolled and hooked all three trebles tightly into the net with the fish out of the water- I had to cut all three hooks in multiple places just to get the fish back into the water.

Have fun and enjoy- these fish will make you love them and hate them at the same time, it's great!

Hi all!

This is my first thread started here. Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to reading all of your shared info!

Heading up to Black Lake in a few weeks for a nice 4 day camping/fishing trip. Anybody here familiar with Black Lake?

We are kind of excited at the possiblity of a musky as none of the 4 of us has ever caught one. Anybody got any advice? Thanks in advance.

-PikeAssassin

I fish black lake every year. The Fishing is great, here is a tip....fish the rivers, both of them  :yes: 

There are muskies in Black lake since it connects with the Oswagotchie River. Usually giant ones though. I dont know of too many mid or small size ones that I have heard only slobs. I dont know if there is enough population to target them though. Seems like every 3-5 years someone hauls out a 40 lber by accident. There was a big one I think 3 yrs ago I remember.

I was there last June and the bass fishing was incredible !  Pike i only saw 1 in the 4 days we were there.  Not  a single ski.......i know they are in there but few and far between.  Prolly pick up a dozen pike and 4 dozen bowfin for every ski you might see...lol...LOTS of bowfin in there.   Target greens in the grass and smallies on the points and youll have a blast. 

PIkeFn -

There are definitely Skis in Black Lake but as most have said they are sparse. I have seen a few in my 20yrs fishing the lake and they were huge. The lake has great bass fishing smallmouth and largemouth and te pike fishing can be unreal at times, as one guy said grab a hotspots map and go nuts. If you like to crappie fish to you can certainly get into a mess of them sometimes as well.

Good luck , tight lines

Salmon killer