Canceled, Muskies Inc. Chapter 69 2015 Chautauqua Lake Musky Tournament

I read through the rules yesterday and don't remember any mention of planer boards, so they must be allowed. I would say just use some common sense and have some courtesy for other boaters and fisherman.  No need to run your boards 125' feet out each side...It's not LSC.  I've been running my boards at 50' and it's been working just fine.  Plus you don't have to crank them in as far when you hit a pile of floaters and they need cleaned.  You might want them a little further out if you are trying to run multiple rods or sliders off each board, but that would have to be a big pain with all the floating pond weed.

One question I had based on the rules I read.  It looked like in one area of the rules it mentions a girth measurement and photo.  Is a photo of a girth measurement also required, or just a photo of the length?  I also wondered about the recommendation for jaw spreaders.  Do guys use those for muskies?  I've never owned a pair. 

I'd probably like to fish it, but I'll be in Canada that weekend.  Good luck to everyone. I'm sure it will be good.

Planer boards are allowed but you must adhere to all NYS regs including # of rods per angler. Another concern with them might be oblivious pleasure boaters.

Girth measurement is not required or used for judgement. Only length. Time of day fish is netted can be important in a tiebreaker.

Jaw spreader can be useful sometimes (especially with small, Multi-trebble lures that are inhaled deep) but some should be modified by installing plastic caps over tips to prevent damage to the fish.

Thanks Steve. I just reviewed the 2015 NY fishing regulations and saw:

"an angler may operate no more than three lines with or without a rod"

That means sliders are illegal if you are using 3 rods.  I think the verbage may have recently changed though.  I thought I remember NY being 3 rods per angler with no more than 4 hooks per rod.

Edited by Ivan

Ivan your allowed 15 hook points per line, so you could run 2 crankbaits with only 2 treble hooks on each crankbait all on one line.I don't want to deal with that mess that can tangle or the extra hooks that could snag anywhere on a fish.With the floating weeds we get at Chautauqua Lake it is hard enough at times just keeping four lines with 4 lures clean!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Thanks Larry.  I saw the hook rule after I made my last post.  It's a bit grey/confusing though.  I think the hook point thing is geared more towards those umbrella or Alabama rigs for bass.

So would a rod with a two hook bait on the main line and a slider line with a two hook bait off that same main line/rod be legal?  I know based on hooks you are ok (at 4 total), but is that one line or two?  I was under the impression that would be considered two lines even though they were attached to the same rod and reel.  And if you are running two other rods, you would technically have 4 lines out, which is illegal.

I know what you mean about keeping lines clean at Chq...It's definitely work. I have't ever run sliders on Chq, but if it were weed free enough, I'd put them out if it were legal.  I'm all for having as many baits in the water as I'm allowed and don't mind doing weed checks or running planer board lines.

The question of two lures on one line was brought up by a walleye fishermen I know last year to a NY State Conservation Officer and he was told it was legal as long as you do not exceed 15 hook points per line.They were snap swiveling the slider to the main line and then rubber banding to the downrigger cable 15 ft above the first crankbait at the ball.

Edited by mostlymuskies

I've picked tigers off sliders and 3 way rigs walleye fishing, but like Capt Larry said I'd rather not deal with the mess... unless I'm planning on eating the target species. Surprisingly the few I've caught that way didn't tangle themselves on the other lure.

I fish with a few guys that prefer not to mess with sliders either.  To each their own I guess.  I really only run them at LSC because the water is so big and it helps us cover more area.  Just gets two more baits in the water for me, and it definitely increases our chances of catching fish, or helps us catch more fish.

Just to clarify...I'm talking about planer board sliders.  Not 3 way rigs or anything to tangle or harm fish.  My planer board slider lines are typically anywhere from 20-50' in length.  The slider release is typically 20-30' from my main line release, so the baits are very far apart from each other.  About the same or farther apart than if you were just running two boat rods out opposite sides of your boat.  When a muskie hits the slider bait, it pops that slider release, the slider line then slides down to and pops the main line release, then the slider line slides down the main line to the swivel at the top of the leader on my main line and starts pulling drag from the reel.  I reel the fish in as far as I can with my rod and reel (to the bait attached to the main line on that rod), then pick up the slider line and hand line the fish in the rest of the way (the length of the slider...20-50').  It's actually really fun hand lining big fish, and we've caught multiple 50"ers, up to 53"s on sliders.  We've also had occasions where we get a fish on the slider and the main line simultaneously, so you end up with a double on the same rod. 

If you haven't ever seen the set-up, it's kind of difficult to explain without a diagram.

Edited by Ivan

Thanks everyone, When I run boards at Chaut, I have them close to the boat. I am well aware of the pleasure boaters and such. I know its not LSC.  I use them at Chaut when I go there, even on weekends, I never really had too much trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

We have amended the rules for the tournament to provide clarification. The amendments are stated at the top of the rules and highlighted in bold type in the body of the rules. This is just a clarification and not a change in rules. Click on the link below for details.

http://www.nymusky.com//wp-content/uploads/New-York-Muskies-Inc-Open-Tx-Rules-2015-6-22-FINAL-v1.pdf

Also Jim Reynolds has injured a knee at work and will not be able to attend and run the tournament. I will be taking his place to help Brad run the tournament.

At this point I will not be participating. I would consider bringing my boat if there is someone interested in participating with me and sharing expenses. Keep in mind that my boat has only 2 rodholders, but I do have a kicker and a bowmount. My two deep cycle batteries are on their 6th season so they will be somewhat limited.

I would also be interested if someone has an opening on their boat.

PM me, email me or call if interested.

Good luck to everyone in the tournament!!!

i will be cooking up some viddles for ya after the tourney at mayville launch---rain or shine.Im bringing my gas grill this time,easier and faster.A buddy made me up some meat sauce as well for burgs and dogs to spice`em up.drinks,chips and maybe some potatoe salad?Gotta see what the local grocery has.

Hope to see ya there and good luck to everyone

sol :rock:

Some of the potential fishermen for the Tourney are asking me if there will be a make up date if the weather is to bad on Saturday.What is the policy?Simular to NMA Tourney's if there is Small Craft Warning is it called off?

Edited by mostlymuskies

After careful consideration we have decided to postpone the tournament due to safety concerns based on the weather forecast. The forecast is calling for heavy rain and strong S and SE winds with the potential for thunderstorms as well. There is a potential for high waves based on the current wind forecast.

We are considering a rescheduling it for July 11th. I hope to have an answer within a few days.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone.

Edited by muskiedreams

I see a rule change about handling a rod or not pooling fish?

In my boat I start out with first fish is whoever side its on then take turns from there.

I know others only do sides.

Any muskie fisherman has had a day where only 1 lure catches all the fish.

In that case out of my boat we each catch equal amounts of fish off the same rod/lure. Some one else that only does sides catches 5 and partner gets 0.

How are you going to patrol this?

Is he pooling fish or has the hot lure for the day?

Which method of fishing with a buddy is right or wrong.

Like a buddy said it best.....I am suppose to net your 50" fish for you? Oops! Sorry it got off, well at least we still have my 46" on the books.

Maybe consider just having it be a team event in July?

If you have other boats patrolling? In my case my partners turn is next and fish is on my side and someone sees him grab a rod on my side? Reported? Kicked out? Mad at the world?

What are your thoughts on this?

The two methods of fishing while trolling?

I wasn't able to come this weekend because of a wedding but I hope to make it in july.

To me a partner is just that, a partner and a friend.

I just think there is no way to patrol this correctly to where someone ends up mad for no reason. Soon as money is involved someone is going to be pissed they didn't win and it could go sour quick.

The changes are more of a clarification than anything else and are stating what can be interpreted from the rules before the clarification. It is an individual tournament. Therefore all fish that an individual logs as a fish he/she caught, must me in fact caught by that person. In other words that person was the only person who handled the rod and fought the fish. Maybe a certain amount of leeway could be allowed for a youth or someone who is physically challenged. Like removing rod from rod holder for someone who cannot do it.

We have to rely on the honesty and integrity of all entrants to a certain extent. If someone saw something that was (pardon the pun) fishy we hope they will bring it to out attention. The person(s) you are fishing with are both your partner(s) and your opponent(s). The decisions you make on how and where you fish throughout the day will affect everyone on the boat.

It is between those on the boat to decide the rod arrangement. I usually have my rods and my fishing partner has his rods. We each decide what lures we  will use and how much line we let out on our own rods. We work together to a certain extent to try to develop a pattern that works. If a fish bites the lure on my rod, it is my fish to fight. If my partner catches all the fish that day, so be it. I still look at a fish caught by the boat as a victory for both of us. This is the way I fish in tournaments or recreationally. In a tournament, if one of us were to win a cash prize, we would split it and/or put it toward the trip expenses. The winner would get the glory.

It is up to you and those you are fishing with to decide if you have designated rods or rotate. We cannot dictate that. We just ask that you be honest. I can see the logic behind making it a team event. That would have to require a set number of anglers per boat. I do understand that with the individual format, it would be advisable that you all have designated rods. Of course if you are casting, that is the case. The clarification here is to make sure it is understood that handing off a rod to stack fish for one angler on the boat is considered to be contrary to the rules and doing so can be considered grounds for disqualification and possibly being prohibited from participating in future tournaments. There is not a huge amount of money at stake in these tournaments like there is in many professional bass tournaments so hopefully everyone will stay honest. Word usually gets out about those who are not. Also we have the big fish pool that anyone can win by catching one fish.

There are pros and cons to using the points system as opposed to awarding prizes based on 1st, 2nd and 3rd largest fish. We have discussed going to length only in the future.