Walleye bite around Buffalo

Gill-T

I noticed there has been little bait/ Emerald Shiners this year in the Niagara despite frozen lake cover over the winter.  The usual mass migration of shiners up the river back to the lake drives the Peace Bridge area bite.  My worry is with no bait, the Walleye will not be around. Is anyone catching walleyes day trolling around Buffalo or is everyone down at Barcelona?

Went out last Wednesday landed 5 and lost quite a few. Yea there are walleyes there. put in at 6 am and pulled boat a 6 pm, didn't find fish till around 2 tho, when we marked some we caught some, didn't mark a lot tho and no bait. Was a tuff bite for sure. Had a lot better luck with the nite bite in may, seemed to be a ton of fish then.

Gill-T, there was a great day bite off Buffalo a couple weeks ago but since the wicked Northeast blow a week ago fishing has been slow. Pick a few here and there but nothing crazy. It's still early in the year for the day bite to really take off, things should improve once the lake gets into the low 60's.

That being said my father and I were talking while out on the lake fishing Sunday about the lack of emeralds around this spring. Very unusual year. SBH and EBM were loaded for a couple days back in May but other than that the upper and harbor has been pretty void of bait.

The Catt. had a nice run of huge emeralds this spring. Could be with the late spring the bait ran into the warmest water close by and spawned quickly and left. The perch have baby gobies in them coming off the Catt.

We are wondering same thing fished both days out buffalo Saturday 1 6lbs and Sunday 3 biggest 8lbs. That's full days of fishing.hasn't been squat for bait but saw pretty cobsistant perch pods off of sturgeon.