Walleye run (aerial)

BSmaster

Pretty cool BS. Kind of reminds me of the good OL' snagging days, shoulder to shoulder!! I know a few guys from out that way, from when we used to fish the western basin of Erie, they used to plan their vacation days for fishing the eye run.

When we went out to Erie we took a charter out of turtle point and we stayed in Lamberjacks marina we got to know the owner well after going there for 5 years straight, anyway he had a plane and the airport was only 5 minutes away, he would fly over the lake to spot the schools of eyes and write the GPS. Coordinates down for the charter captains, one day Vince asked me if I wanted to go with him, I was ecstatic that he asked me, I couldn't say yes fast enough, we left at 5:30am we flew over Kelly's island and headed west towards Sister and West Sister Island where we spotted a dark spot in the water, Vince said those are eyes!! Holy $hit you got to be kidding me, that school was 3/4 miles wide and 1 1/2 miles long, we circled around and landed it was 6:15am when he told the charter captain and they were off by 6:30am the group was back at the dock by 11:30am with a 6 man limit of eyes. I put those numbers in my GPS and we left later about 7:30am and we were back around 2pm with a 3 man limit, big #5 copper blades with a 3oz bottom bouncer at 1.8mph did the job. That was one of the best trips I ever had. Totally awesome!!!

Edited by pap

• 2 weeks later...

I fished there this year it's the maumee river a lot of snagging an a lot of dnr writing tickets everyone there was using a float jig with a oz of weight.. Kinda reminded me of the salmon river!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I made a lot of trips to the western basin of lake Erie Every year I fished off turtle creek for a week usually the middle part of May. I camped at turtle creek marina. I picked one week to fish in June off lorain. Stayed at a motor cycle camp. With two trips to Ohio every year I had enough walleye to fill my freezer for the year. By the time the fish came east. I had enough walleye fishing in me. The fishing in the eastern basin sucks compared to what you can catch in the western basin. I fished the central basin too off walnut creek. This is tough fishing here. You have to travel 7 miles out to find the fish. Fishing was a lot easier fishing off Erie or North East PA. Most of the time I went out 5 miles to the PA, NY border and found fish. It sure beats coming from Barcelona to fish the NY, PA border. Those were the good old days when gasoline was cheap. Now I stick with Seneca Lake. Its been about 10 years since I made a trip to Ohio to fish. Last time there we had to keep a close eye on our fishing gear. Theft was starting to get bad there.  

I made a lot of trips to the western basin of lake Erie Every year I fished off turtle creek for a week usually the middle part of May. I camped at turtle creek marina. I picked one week to fish in June off lorain. Stayed at a motor cycle camp. With two trips to Ohio every year I had enough walleye to fill my freezer for the year. By the time the fish came east. I had enough walleye fishing in me. The fishing in the eastern basin sucks compared to what you can catch in the western basin. I fished the central basin too off walnut creek. This is tough fishing here. You have to travel 7 miles out to find the fish. Fishing was a lot easier fishing off Erie or North East PA. Most of the time I went out 5 miles to the PA, NY border and found fish. It sure beats coming from Barcelona to fish the NY, PA border. Those were the good old days when gasoline was cheap. Now I stick with Seneca Lake. Its been about 10 years since I made a trip to Ohio to fish. Last time there we had to keep a close eye on our fishing gear. Theft was starting to get bad there.

Ray if you stayed at Turtle Creek, we stayed in the marina just the opposite side of the channel, called Lamberjacks, he had rentals on that little road coming in we stayed in a house fully equipped for $600.00 a week we always had 6 guys so it was $100 a head for the week and $65 a week for a slip. We also went in May, the eyes were coming off the jig bite and turning onto the harnesses, bet you spent some $$$ at the Happy Hooker, that guy was a good salesman, one day it was John Deere green, the next it was purple, then yellow,black, before you knew it you had 10#s in jigs, but yea if you never experienced the western basin walleye bite, you just can't explain it, and they hit all day, but early morning and from 5 till dark was best. The wind was completely opposite of LakeO it was windy in the morning then calm in the afternoon then windy again in the evening. During the jig bite I foul hooked so many eyes it was insane to say the least. Only thing that was bad was the long a$$ ride home, 8 1/2 hrs for us. I miss those days. PAP

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't fish in those crowds for walleye....ever!!!! I go night after night and catch fish with absolutely nobody around even when its crowded we don't have a dozen boats out anytime for eyes!

I agree Justin, we fished the lake, most of the time(during the week) you might be the only boat in sight, the charters go out where we stayed but the majority go out of Wild Wings about 3/4 miles east of where we stayed. There's more combat fish on LakeO'

I don't get it either? But just think back when snagging salmon was legal, it was a suicide mission people came from all over the country, for a 1/2 dead salmon, NY state made coo-coo$$$. The first time my dad was going to take me I chickened out, after seeing 3 ambulances and each one had a costumer, guys fist fighting, rolling around in the river. I said lets go back to the trailer and get in the boat and do some bass fishing, he couldn't say OK fast enough. I guess everyone has their own idea of fun. I'm more content with 1 or 2 other guys and fish out of my boat. Take care Justin!!!

I do not know why it looks like fun to me because I would leave a busy trib full of fish and a lot of fisherman to go fish a non busy trib with hardly any fish and no fisherman just for the serenity.  Must be the walleye thing. As long as the temperments are calm then I am ok with it being stupid mobbed.  At least once for the experience.

I am going to look for Ohio plates this fall and tell them they can have my spot if they give me their's in April. 

Edited by BSmaster