Great one doesn't want to start

96 force 90 hp. So I have been fighting with my boat all spring . Every time I feel like I have fixed it the same problem rears its ugly head . It seems there is not enough juice getting to the engine to start . First I cleaned terminals and connections . It worked once then same problem . However boat would often start with a quick jump , and after running for awhile would start immediately . Next I had batteries checked and they were from 2003 ! Guy who checked them said they read as " good " but often old batteries read as " good" then will be dead a few days later . 215 dollars later I had 2 new batteries . Worked for a day the same thing . Now it won't go even with a jump ( although I only tried jumping once ) . The voltage meter is at 12-13 , and the batteries are brand new so why would it need a jump . Then I checked the ground to the engine . I got probably a half a crank on it , worked once ... Same thing. I also put a little wd40 on the small gear on top of the starter as it would come up , but then not go back down . At this point I noticed the starter cylinder was warm after only a couple cranks . Also I remember a few weeks back some smoke coming out of the starter cylinder . I took off the starter cylinder and brought it in to mayers . The guy there seems knowledgeable and pulled it apart . He said the brushes are okay , magnets are okay but the Bering was shot and that's what's causing my problem . He said the rest of the starter looks okay and this should do the trick . I'm nervous that it won't and my frustration level at this point will go overload if it doesn't . Has anyone experienced this before ?

Before I got to the part about the starter I was thinking you got a starter going bad.  I had this problem once as well.  Just a quick test with jumper cables attached to your battery, attach ground to starter frame and positive to the terminal on the starter and if no spin there lies the problem.  When you first hit the key you while this was happening you should here a click noise, if not you may have a bad solenoid.  Last fall I started having this same issue, I could go days and starter would be fine, then one day I would have to hit the key several times before she took.  Was late in the season so I dealt with it till this spring, but only after I actually remembered I was having problems with it.  Took it apart, brushes were good, armature was good, bearings good etc.  I suspect the windings were taking a dive, 150 bucks later, an hours time and back on the water with a new starter. 

I just had this problem and I thought it was the Batteries also. Then I cleaned all the connections. The starter just seemed to get weaker and weaker so i removed the starter and jumped it directly. It was still weak. I replaced the starter and when I tried to fire the motor up for the first with the new starter I was shocked how fast the starter was spining the motor.. I never seen the motor spin that fast while cranking it...  

Thanks for the replies . About the bad solenoid ... I hear a click ... I think it's the shaft coming up to engage the wheel. I guess what I'm most worried about is putting the starter. Sick on with a new Bering and it still being the starter . Where did you go to get new starter ? Rochester area ?

I have an older boat (1988 Sea Nymph 90 HP Evinrude) so I went to west marine. They wanted $270 and would take weeks to get it because it was special order... I went to autozone and the had it the next day for $65.. Works great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Only point I'll make is on using auto parts to substitute for boat parts. We used to do it years ago as kids and never knew any better. Then I found out the reason boat parts cost so much is they are coated to prevent sparking. Auto parts are not. So be careful when you substitute Auto parts for boat parts.

Spike

Yes If the bearing is really worn the armature is off centered and the electric field gets a little wacky,,,,also if ya didnt order check amazon found a starter for my dads 1968 riding tractor 56.00 at amazon 176.00 at techumsa (spell check) same exact part number and supplier.....just me 2 cents

All outboards have perminate magnet starters so whether you get at west marine ( Jessie James used a gun when he robbed people) or auto zone they are the same, other than the one from the box store is a genuine Chinese one. The other models with the open nose cone and the field leads coming through the case have spark arresters in them and the field grommet usually grey, the newer PMGR starters and the old prestolite starters, like on the 470's are CCW so be careful you don't give you $100.00 core away, one other thing if the coast guard hop aboard and you have a automotive starter on you will be red flagged, they can tell by the grey grommet and where the leads come through the case to the solenoid, the older GM units are not to have the copper extension to the solenoid, they should have the long bodied solinoid.

Go to pro rebuilders off Lyell. They check the starter right there. There are probably the most reasonable place around to get starters. They are rebuilt in house with warranty not like the craps they sell on the shelves now days.

Although I bought the starter from auto zone it is for marine use. They do sell marine parts. The starter is exactly the same.. But that is good info about the coast guard. I didn't realize they could red flag you for using automotive parts..

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Go to pro rebuilders off Lyell. They check the starter right there. There are probably the most reasonable place around to get starters. They are rebuilt in house with warranty not like the craps they sell on the shelves now days.[/quote

Yes, support your local rebuilder!! Business isn't was it used to be because of the big box stores and the Internet. Thank you Duckman1 from one rebuilder to another, you will get a quality well built unit in return and it will be your unit, those of you that had to shim starters already to keep them from singing or not engageing right know what I'm talking about!! It's nice standing on your head trying to bolt a starter on only to hit the key and it sounds like something out of a horror movie, or it just spins, because the unit you have is CCW and you just spent an hour bolting on a CW starter.

Edited by pap

I second pro builders. They do very good work and do not rip you off.

The difference between a marine starter and an automotive starter is crucial for your safety.

On a car, a car starter or for that matter any electronic part is in an open environment. If gasoline drips out,it falls on the ground in case of a leak. In a boat, the leaking fuel goes in the bilge and causes gases to accumulate under the deck. (Hence the blower). An automotive starter may give off a spark and your boat will go up.... You cannot stop the boat in the middle of the lake and step out like you would with a car on the road. That is why all the electronic stuff on a boat must be double insulated.

•  
ProRebuilders20yearsSM3.png

Home

Pro Rebuilders is a family owned and operated business located in Rochester, New York, serving primarily the Rochester and Western New York State regions.From the start back in 1994, Pro Rebuilders has been dedicated to excellence in customer service, quality manufacturing, and responsiveness to the needs of our clients. Our manufacturing facility is at 54 Adelaide Street in Rochester. We serve both trade accounts (mostly auto repair shops, marinas and fleet operations) and the general public.

We also welcome walk-in business, as we serve many local customers looking for high quality, domestically manufactured products. With our huge inventory there is no wait for most applications, but we encourage customers to call or email in advance to make sure that we have their particular parts ready to go.

We provide testing, technical diagnosis, rebuild & repair services for:

• Starters
  • Alternators
  • Generators
  • All types of DC motors, including:
    • 6, 12, 24, & 32 Volt motors
    • Trim motors
    • Electric pump motors
BoxGroup_1045p.jpg

Pro Rebuilders has always had a strong belief in buying products made in America whenever possible and in maintaining a clean environment. We actively recycle virtually all parts removed from units we take in for re-manufactring. Re-manufacturing inherently reduces waste and decreases the need to import products that are often built overseas in places with little concern for environmental standards. We believe that buying American as well as buying re-manufactured are great ways to help both our country and the environment.

Our focus, for as long as we have been in business, has been on providing personalized, first-rate customer service. Together with our line of the the highest quality, professionally remanufactured components, our emphasis on excellence in service and customer satisfaction is what distinguishes Pro Rebuilders from the competition.

Copyright © 2015 Pro Rebuilders. All Rights Reserved.
Pro Rebuilders · 54 Adelaide St., Rochester, NY 14606 · 585-254-0130   fax 585-254-4778 · Site design by Nimble Eye
Edited by rolmops

Thanks a lot for the replies . Here's what happened . I took the starter to Bill Mayer who said the Bering was bad and sent me to Pro Rebuilders for a part. Thanks to Bill Mayer , he was a lot of help and gave me some tips , Amy engine work I need done I'll be calling him . When I got to Pro Rebuilders they said it would be better to get a new starter as that one was getting pretty cooked . Got the starter for 95 bucks went home put it on . When connecting to the solenoid I broke off the connection. Back to Pro Rebuilders . They didn't have one in stocked and called around for me , found one at Byrce for triple the price , but I needed it . Went home connected that and like everyone said the thing turned so fast I couldn't believe it . First time I have ever attempted a fix like this on any engine and it was a success . Thanks to everyone for the tips . Also , Pro Rebuilders . They are the best . The two guys I talked to in there were extremely helpful , went way above and beyond , and " felt my pain " . Throw them your business you won't be sorry .

Here is the old starter taken apart . You can see it's pretty burnt attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1434033797.178920.jpg

Yes I can see the windings are pretty burned, I was going to say earlier that when you noticed smoke coming out of the starter you were on borrowed time and a new starter was in the mist!! Glad your rebuilder was helpful and was able to get you going, now you will be good to go for years to come.