Sutton spoons price?

I figured you go us who have been around a while would know best. I came across this bunch of spoons, mostly Suttons and a few that have Miller and Leather Stocking stamped on them. They have a bit of sentimental value, but I wanted to buy them for a fair price. I'm not sure what they are worth, but I don't want to under buy them by any means. Do you guys have any clue what they are worth??

Thanks for any insight.

post-148608-14339782297533_thumb.jpg

post-148608-14339782389269_thumb.jpg

post-148608-14339782465149_thumb.jpg

Hard to put an exact price on them as they are used spoons and four of them are spoons for jerking copper (fixed hooks not on rings) not trolling but I can tell you that Sutton spoons are ALL good spoons and some of that is related to the real silver finish as well as the thin material they are made from which gives a superb fluttering action. From the looks of things recently they may soon become a thing of the past so if you can buy them at a reasonable price (i.e.one that you can afford) I'd jump on them. I have had literally hundreds of them over the years and still have probably 150 left and they are "golden". I'd give up any of my other spoons before parting with them. :) The 22 is close to the shape but a little larger than the 44 and works about as well. The West River is a little heavier and not a "flutter" spoon and works well from a downrigger or a top line or trolled from leadcore or copper by itself. Also be aware that where the finish may be messed up a bit you can still use reflective tape very successfully with them to "jazz" them up and they work fine.  They are especially effectiveon the Finger Lakes where they were designed for and although they work on Lake O they are not real sturdy for large kings. All but the very smallest (e.g. #8 etc.) I have changed the hooks to stainless Siwash single hooks by cutting off the HOOK not the solid ring on the spoons. Most of the spoons work best at relatively slower speeds (e.g. 2 mph or less) but the smallest ones can tolerate higher speeds.

Edited by Sk8man

I was in Sutton's a few weeks ago and picked up some that he just got plated...they were 22s 31s and 71s all real good spoons...I was told he had more getting plated...unfortunately no 44s...a good replacement is great lakes lure company's 44s...they catch a lot fish not as light as Sutton's though

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 dollars each for the older ones, 3 dollars each for the newer ones. Don’t give him anymore. The miller spoons were better. Price on millers back 40 years ago went for 2 dollars each. Sutton’s went for 2 to 4 dollars 30 years ago. I bought Sutton in bulk for 2.50 each.  

2 dollars each for the older ones, 3 dollars each for the newer ones. Don’t give him anymore. The miller spoons were better. Price on millers back 40 years ago went for 2 dollars each. Sutton’s went for 2 to 4 dollars 30 years ago. I bought Sutton in bulk for 2.50 each.  

If you have any you wish to sell for 2 -3 dollars per Ray we will all be there to get some, I want, 44's, 22's & 8's

Bob

Bob

what do you think they are worth. I saw used suttons on ebay for 3 dollars each. You have to be in the right place at the right time. I have plenty of new suttons I have never used. I'm not selling them.  

Sutton's seem to have gone crazy lately, last used ones I paid what you said, that was a couple years ago,  but when I watch Ebay they are usually super high and I don't see as many available.

Bob

And your not selling any of yours... :)

Bob

I wont sell any of my fishing tackle. New fishing tackle is to expensive and over priced. You can find good buys if you wait and look around. I'm glad I bought my spoons years ago. I never bought my spoons from Sutton company. I bought them at the boat ramp right out of a guys car. I still have a few pfueger records and blade runner spoons left. I have about 30 of those jerk trolling spoons from Sutton left. Plenty of 44, 31, 71, 2 Victrolas left excellent condition I bought form an old timer from Penn Yan that hardly get used anymore. Swan spoons, few millers I bought from him right out of his boat on Seneca lake he kept at roys marina. Plenty of crank baits for walleye excellent names that most of them I didn’t buy. I walked the shoreline of lake Erie and found them washed up on shore in excellent condition.   

Bob

I wont sell any of my fishing tackle. New fishing tackle is to expensive and over priced. You can find good buys if you wait and look around. I'm glad I bought my spoons years ago. I never bought my spoons from Sutton company. I bought them at the boat ramp right out of a guys car. I still have a few pfueger records and blade runner spoons left. I have about 30 of those jerk trolling spoons from Sutton left. Plenty of 44, 31, 71, 2 Victrolas left excellent condition I bought form an old timer from Penn Yan that hardly get used anymore. Swan spoons, few millers I bought from him right out of his boat on Seneca lake he kept at roys marina. Plenty of crank baits for walleye excellent names that most of them I didn’t buy. I walked the shoreline of lake Erie and found them washed up on shore in excellent condition.

And you probably gave all your savings back in lost gas money looking to save a few bucks.

I don't think anyone would part with Suttons for $2.00 Ray and that is the reason I didn't "guesstimate" their worth because it comes down to whatever someone is willing to pay for them just like most other things these days.....and nearly everything has increased in price in 30 years :lol:

I'll buy every sutton I can find for 2 bucks a piece.. Ever see the prices they fetch on ebay will make your head spin. You would be afraid to even put them in water. Im not one to frame them and hang on wall to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Your best bet is to hit flea markets or yard sales, I go to this giant sale in the spring called the Heck town market, it's 3 times a year and there are guys selling fishing paraphernalia some is complete junk but you never know when a sutton spoon lies in the mist, last year I paid $3.00 a piece for 44's and $2.00 each for older thunder sticks I even spotted a Billy baloo or what ever it's called very sought after lure and of course the garage find my uncle came across while doing a remodel job. Thanks to Less he knew what I got and was able to help me identify lures I've never saw before, I never knew that Sutton made silver on brass and a diamond surfaced spoon. Last year I found 44's and 88's and 22's there are still out there just need to be at the right place and time. Thanks again Les, I haven't tried any yet.