Calling all LSC Musky Fisherman

Hi

I am going to ask this question at great peril. I am not trying, nor am I interested in starting a huge debate about musky handling procedures. I have all of the right equipment (beckman net, gloves, knippers, plyers, bogo grips etc etc.). I don't need the big lesson on "having the right equipment".

I am, however interested to hear how those of you who fish St Claire handle and release musky. It is not out of the question to have double digit days. I know most boats that are trolling are running six lines, probably big boards and maybe even slider rigs. It makes it really hard to stop the boat to net land the fish at boatside. Are you guys netting fish? Are you not netting fish and unhooking without bringing on board? Are you stopping the boat? Are you netting fish and bringing them on board to unhook (most of the charter guys do this)?

I have a 50 inch livewell. I have put muskies in there to recouporate and then release. They are really spunky when you pull them out to release. I would like to hear what others are doing.

I net my fish and keep them over the side of the boat (in the net/in the water) just like anywhere else I fish. Fishing planer boards or sliders doesnt mean you have to change your release routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here's a pic to illustrate. I don't think I've posted this one before. This was a nice 50.25" Dad got on the last day of our trip last year. It was just me and Dad that day. I normally like to have 3 in the boat at LSC, but my third usually leaves a day before us every year.

As you can see, our Frabill Big Kahuna is still hanging over the side of the boat and our port side planer board is way out there above the net. The key is just keeping things as straight and slow as possible.

post-150846-14340249998391_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ivan

I appreciate your reply. Thats a great fish your dad caught and a nice way to end the trip.

I will take your advice on slowing the boat down. In the past I've tried to cut the throttle to neutral and the boat spins and screws up the whole spread.

Edited by wet the net

You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment on the fish.

Just to expand on the subject. When you have a fish hit, the guy who's reeling it in gets the rod in hand (out of the holder), then back your throttle down to just above neutral (as slow as you can go). Driver needs to clear a rod maybe and keep the boat as straight as possible. If its windy, i usually try to turn the motor slightly into the wind so when i let go of the wheel we stay straight. Driver needs to be prepared to make small steering adjustments while fish is being fought. If its a big fish (you would have more time before its to the boat) sometimes i will try to make a slow turn and get the wind at our back. Then you can maybe hit neutral for a bit, but be prepared to put it back in gear to keep everything straight and tight.

This is a big reason why i like to have 3 in the boat at LSC. Somebody can always be on the wheel. Otherwise, autopilot would be a huge help .

Good luck to you.

I do exactly the same. I use the auto pilot on my terrova to steer so when I hook up I kill the kicker and the terrova keeps me moving just fast enough to keep my boards out. With the net in the water it's like your holding still. Works very well and I've still had fish grab those barely moving baits as the barely thump out there. Only rods you'll need to pull doing this will be your blades.

That said I never steer with my wheel when open water trolling. The motor is set straight and all steering is done with the terrova. If I'm on a lake Shortlining or following weedbeds or on the niagara/larry I use the wheel because I'm constantly throttling up and down and making turns.

He said he uses it in conjuction with the kicker. The kicker provides the propulsion and the terrova provides the steering. Lots of people use the two in tandem. Works great on lake erie for walleye. I just never tried it for musky.

Deploying the terrova and setting it up on auto pilot after you hook a fish would be an absolute pain in the #$@#.  I don't think thats what he meant.

I will just stay with Leadcore flat lines and reel in the extra line on the side the fish is on.The others the center of the Leadcore will lay on bottom and fluorocarbon leader and crankbait will float off bottom when the boat is stopped.When ever possible I turn the boat out to the side to put the fish even with the wind direction so boat is not moving toward the fish or fish toward the boat!

Yea the terrova remains deployed the entire time and only used to keep direction. So basically u deploy it, start trolling at say 4mph with your kicker in the direction you want, hit the north function on your terrova remote and the head will keep u on track after that. If I want to turn I just use the remote and then re set the north function when I'm on my new line. When I hook up I kill the kicker and the terrova will keep me moving on that line as slow as I set it. Like I said I go just fast enough to keep the boards out. I run a 101 36v terrova but barely put a dent in the batteries using it just to steer all day.