Coaming pads

Very easy to do yourself. Just make sure you use stainless steel staples. Most craft stores carry the vinyl and most of the time you can reuse the foam. Use pressure treated 1/2" plywood and hardware stores carry T-Nuts

Forget the pressure treated boards use the nice pvc board they sell at Lowes. It's lighter and doesn't absorb water. If you need foam buy it on ebay. I used 4" closed cell foam as that doesn't retain water either. The vinyl and trim I got from greatlakesskipper.com. SS staples are a must. I built 3 for my Baha for about $100 and they look sharp.

Total Chaos

post-141352-0-91271000-1434354174_thumb.jpg

The foam can also be cut very nicely with a very sharp standard fillet knife if you don't happen to have an electric or outlet handy.

Edited by Sk8man

I was wondering what in the heck this Coaming pad thing was? I didn't want to sound stupid, and still didn't know till the pic. was posted, now I'm guessing it's the padding that goes around the boat, kind of like a soft bumper for the inside. The stuff I rip off because it's always rotted on the back and about to fall off. Now this pvc board how big of a sheet can ou get and how thick is it, how do you get staples in it? Thanks for any input. I kept all the covers they were in excellent shape on my boat, someone replaced them but used real thin plywood and they rotted away but the foam and covers are like new and I would put them back on, but I was thinking I had to have it done by one that does upholstery.

The boards I bought was 1"x6"x8' but they have other sizes. They were 3/4" thick. Staples go right in no problem. The thin plywood that was rotted on yours was probably luan. That's what was under mine from the factory. I'm no expert but mine came out nice. I hand sewn all of mine because I just couldn't fold the material around good enough to make me happy. Other than that its fairly easy to do it and it saves a ton of money.

Total Chaos

2nd the pvc material. Redid mine, a total of 7 boards. Ripped on table saw to size. Order vinyl online three colors. Wrapped over foam, electric stapler, center strip cover screws. Saved 1700.00 for the project. Cost me 150.00 for materials. Piece of cake. Was more mental than the actual job.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2nd the pvc material. Redid mine, a total of 7 boards. Ripped on table saw to size. Order vinyl online three colors. Wrapped over foam, electric stapler, center strip cover screws. Saved 1700.00 for the project. Cost me 150.00 for materials. Piece of cake. Was more mental than the actual job.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You're right Frogger. It's simple to do. Just take your time and take note as to how its done on the old ones, how the material is folded etc. If you do go with wood, make sure the vinyl laps so water can't seep into the wood. I even went as far as sealing the edges with silicone

That's great guys, like mentioned I couldn't see the cost vs. the looks so I took them off. The ones up front I was able to salvage because there they used 1/2" plywood like where the shift and throttle are, good job for winter. Thanks for posting very good ideas here!!

i re-did mine a couple years ago using 1 x 6 x 8 pieces of cedar fence material as my backer. Lightweight and has held up great so far. when it comes time to redo them again i will look into the PVC board