Newbie to Copper or Stainless

I do not own a copper or stainless wire setup, I have two Okuma Copper rods and two Okuma CV45D spooled up with Lead Core that I can honestly say I have not caught a thing on. Back a few years ago Lead core was the hype and every one said got to have it. Hearing all the hype  about wire line, and being told to dump the lead core and get into wire, I'm thinking about re-spooling those two set ups, so far Copper seems to be the favorite on here and it will be another giant learning curve for me but if it is catching fish I want to get in the game. Some people say that Copper has some kind of attraction that the fish like? Can't wait to start posting my trophy catch's, lol. Any and all inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It is kinda like saying "Do I want a lion or a tiger for my pet" They are both very different "animals" with quite different 'habits". In this a case the usage is quite different. The wire lines let you get quite deep  and often involve using a dipsey diver and an attractor with a fly or spoon in the most common instance with the wire line cutting through the water in conjunction with the dipsey (or it could be a weight). The copper setup is usually rather more of a "weighted topline" approach to achieving depth and distance behind the boat most commonly with a lure by itself but it can also be used with a dipsey but the drag is greater in the water. The copper can be deployed off either inline or big boards (preferably the latter because of the drag in the water). To use wire off boards it is  much trickier but can be done. With both you have the be VERY careful to let them out slowly to avoid kinking them. With thecopper you have more severe depth limitations because most reels for them will only tolerate about 600 ft max with backing (typically braid) at most and if you ever try reeling in that amount you will probably wish to run "shorter coppers" after that experience :lol: You can easliy get 1000 ft of 30 lb stainless stranded wire on many reels and achieve greater depth and this becomes important as the summer moves on and the thermocline moves downward in the water column and the fish go deeper. The wire rig then becomes more versatile. They both have their advantages but I much prefer wire over copper if I only had one choice as it is more flexible  in application but coppers are very "deadly" as well when used smartly.

Edited by Sk8man

thumburn makes a good point. There is a time and place for all these tactics and if you are able to do it dedicating rods and reels to specific setups is the way to go  so that you can flexibly adjust to whatever conditions you find out there.

please go to Blood Run Tackle web site and carefully read all their articles and blogs about wire, copper, and lead core. the information on that website is priceless, very easy to understand. if you have questions, you can email or call and the guys there are more than happy to help.  good luck and tight lines!

Just got into copper after reading all the articles on the bloodrun website. I have a 150' 250' and a 350'. When the Lakers were hot at Bronte a few weeks ago that 250' copper caught us the majority of our fish. I had a mag uv nbk spoon on it. We boated a nice laker and I was just letting the line out and something smashed it nearly birdnesting my copper. Ended up being a decent 7-8lbs steelhead.