On board fillet table

carpedium

Alright guys, I don't know about you - but one of the most annoying things to me is getting back from a day of fishing and having to fillet fish.

To aid with this I decided to make a fillet table to process fish on the water subject to applicable laws.

I made this up using hdpe material locally sourced. I need help brainstorming a nice way to get this thing track mounted or removable to the boat. Preferably economically.

What do you think?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-142596-14341632853428_thumb.jpg

I didn't think of that. The only limitation is that I would have to either buy two more rod holders or wait till I'm done fishing. Any ideas on how to attach the tube?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IF that's a Fishmaster,I think a great area would be right in front of the motor overhanging the splash well. Add a wash down pump and it would be sweet. I know this doesn't answer your question and your board would have to be redone to accommodate the shape of the splash well and tilt of the motor., but just a thought.

do you have a track system? You could pick up something like this, and then screw a plate underneath the fillet table the fit in the track. Be secure enough it wouldn't move when you were cutting the fish, and you could still run your dipsey's on the horizontal underneath. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Cannon-Pedestal-Mount-track-18-Inch/dp/B001M5TFB2/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1434198050&sr=8-18&keywords=cannon+fishing

(this is CDN link, pretty sure you can get it for less where you are) 

If you have any recessed rod holder holes on the gunwales you could get a gimbal mount (Cannon) and mount the board to it and that way it would be movable and all you'd have to do to clean it is dunk it in the  water holding on to the gimbal tube. The mount is a little pricey new but Ebay may have one used at bargain price or perhaps on LOU. You'd also be at the side of the boat for easier access and washdown etc.

post-145411-0-58848400-1434216424_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-35017400-1434216437_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

IF that's a Fishmaster,I think a great area would be right in front of the motor overhanging the splash well. Add a wash down pump and it would be sweet. I know this doesn't answer your question and your board would have to be redone to accommodate the shape of the splash well and tilt of the motor., but just a thought.

Why yes it is a fishmaster. That location was one of the areas I thought long and hard about, but my concern is getting blood and guts all over the motor and splash well area when I rinse the board. Do you know anyone who does it that way? I may just be overthinking it. It is definitely wasted space right there. My dad had a good idea of putting some sort of tray in the front part of the splash well for tackle box storage which I think would be fantastic. Could maybe use dividers for the plastic trays for flashers, spoons, etc. Maybe this will be another post. 

Considering your idea, I'm looking at maybe the port stern corner?

do you have a track system? You could pick up something like this, and then screw a plate underneath the fillet table the fit in the track. Be secure enough it wouldn't move when you were cutting the fish, and you could still run your dipsey's on the horizontal underneath. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Cannon-Pedestal-Mount-track-18-Inch/dp/B001M5TFB2/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1434198050&sr=8-18&keywords=cannon+fishing

(this is CDN link, pretty sure you can get it for less where you are) 

I do have 12" tracks now for the dipsy rods. I like this idea, I'd just have to figure out a way to get some more height I think. 

Can i ask you where did you get the material locally? i am trying to get some cutting board material to make a fillet table at home. 

Thanks

Yes, feel free to PM me.

How about a flush mount rod holder that you could use to hold your net until you need to fillet fish. Maybe a speed rail flange under the table mounted off center to keep the board over the side with a short piece of aluminum pipe.

http://www.hollaender.com/?page=speedrail

Yes I like this too. That speedrail stuff looks sturdy!

Me too! Thanks

See above

I have a couple of Bert's electronics mounts.They are pretty ridged.I would think 1 would work if you don't get to carried away.attachicon.gifDSC00105.JPG

Yeah that's perfect. Roughly how high are they do you think? Do you want to sell one? 

If you have any recessed rod holder holes on the gunwales you could get a gimbal mount (Cannon) and mount the board to it and that way it would be movable and all you'd have to do to clean it is dunk it in the  water holding on to the gimbal tube. The mount is a little pricey new but Ebay may have one used at bargain price or perhaps on LOU. You'd also be at the side of the boat for easier access and washdown etc.

Unfortunately I don't have gimbals as they would interfere with the rod storage. I like the large surface are of that gimbal mount, and I could always use a regular rod holder. The dunk method sounds awesome - i'd have to tie a rope to it so I didn't lose it though, cause I can see that happening to me!

This is what I am thinking for storage in the splash well area. Made of the cutting board material for durability against the elements. Can do whatever with compartments, or even put a top with a hinge on it. This would sit in and be flush with the top of the splash well while still being easily removable. The only thing that would permanently mount to the boat would be four small strips of the HDPE plastic which the pieces attached to the storage box would “dovetail†with.

post-142596-0-09695300-1434331442_thumb.png

You could mount a flange on the bottom of the board...running length wise.  Maybe 5-6inches tall.  Then use two Irwin squeeze clamps and clamp it to the gunwale / side of the boat.  When your done just take the clamps off.  The whole board and clamps can then be stored right on the boat. 

You could even drill some holes in the bottom of the board, towards the back.  So when the board is clamped to the boat, the holes will be over the water.  And you can wash the guts and blood right through the holes and into the lake.  Keep the board tilted slightly so all the juices run away from the boat toards the back of the board and through the drain holes.

Edited by jigstick

Not sure if this would work for you but what about one of those flower box holders for a deck railing? Straighten it out and maybe utilize a L style anchor bolt and just insert the L shaped end under the edge of the gunnel and tighten a butterfly thumb nut to fasten.

http://www.amazon.com/MINTCRAFT-GB0043-Flower-Bracket-2-Pack/dp/B003MZY4CU

Edited by Chas0218

post-139532-0-03756700-1434379581_thumb.jpg

I had this made by Tony at Great Lakes Planers a few years ago.  It fits standard track systems.  It was the first one he made and a little pricey, but it is very nice.  The table is a standard Magma model I think.  More food for thought.

Edited by landingzone

I'm building a board also. I got a 4'x2' half inch sheet from grainger for $100. We have a metal railing that I clamp the board to across the corners with sliding squeeze clamps. I'm going to hole saw some 2in drain holes in the back corners and put some wedges underneith to tilt it back. when I'm done I'll post a pic if I can figure out how to.

I'm building a board also. I got a 4'x2' half inch sheet from grainger for $100. We have a metal railing that I clamp the board to across the corners with sliding squeeze clamps. I'm going to hole saw some 2in drain holes in the back corners and put some wedges underneith to tilt it back. when I'm done I'll post a pic if I can figure out how to.

Be careful with the size of your drain holes so that items like your knife, or pliers, or whatever don't go through.

You could mount a flange on the bottom of the board...running length wise.  Maybe 5-6inches tall.  Then use two Irwin squeeze clamps and clamp it to the gunwale / side of the boat.  When your done just take the clamps off.  The whole board and clamps can then be stored right on the boat. 

You could even drill some holes in the bottom of the board, towards the back.  So when the board is clamped to the boat, the holes will be over the water.  And you can wash the guts and blood right through the holes and into the lake.  Keep the board tilted slightly so all the juices run away from the boat toards the back of the board and through the drain holes.

This is a great quick and dirty idea! The rail is a little too short, but it's perfect in the mean time. 

Not sure if this would work for you but what about one of those flower box holders for a deck railing? Straighten it out and maybe utilize a L style anchor bolt and just insert the L shaped end under the edge of the gunnel and tighten a butterfly thumb nut to fasten.

http://www.amazon.com/MINTCRAFT-GB0043-Flower-Bracket-2-Pack/dp/B003MZY4CU

Another good one - The only issue is that the gunnel is open at the bottom. maybe wouldn't even need a thumbscrew. Issue is that the gunnel itself is too low. 

Nice

By the looks of your boat I would guess you have recessed seat pedestal mount in the rear use a short pedestal, mount to your cutting board and it will go on just like a seat perfect height

I do have the mounts, but want to keep the board mostly over the water to keep the blood and guts out of the boat. Good idea though.

When you're mounting it, make sure you consider the height.  Do all the filleting on the boat with a Magna board like this and its a bit low and ends up being tough on the back if you have to fillet more than 1 fish.

Yes this is a great point.