Lakers hitting spoons on the surface

This is my first year trolling. On two separate trips this year I have caught a Laker at or near the surface with a Great Lakes 44 spoon.  About 2 weeks ago at Owasco, I was letting out about a 1 and 1/2 colors when a I hooked a nice sized Laker. Then Wednesday near Dean's Cove on Cayuga, I had several hits on a spoon when I was letting line out before attaching it to my downrigger. I finally hooked up with one just as I was about ready to attach my line to the release. So is trolling spoons on the surface a technique to use this time of the year or is this just the action of the Great Lakes 44 spoon?

This time of year the saw belies are spawning, they are usually chasing one another near the surface, this may be the reason for the lakers being in the top part of the water column. Easy meals.

What Lunchbox said, the alewives are on top and the water isn't too cold so lakers will come up to the food.  When jigging I've had them follow the jig all the way to boat and strike within sight.  Exciting time of year as you never know when they'll smack it!