Radio Check

Is it advisable to do a radio check while going out on the Big O? Mine is installed and the DSC is all set up. I haven't heard many boats calling for

a radio check, until this morning. I was waiting for someone to reply but didn't here one, and he never came back, will some tell me how it all works. I here the USC on there all the time at channel 16. The book only gives so much info. I appreciate all response's

Thanks

I always perform my radio check as I leave port. It is best to perform this on the local channel of the port in which you are fishing. Most ports use 68 or 78. (I think 68 is the channel you want for Oswego). Some will use channel 5 or another. Ask some guys that fish your area or some one at the launch or marina.

Good luck and tight lines

always do a radio check. Last year about 1/2 way through the year I suddenly stopped getting replies, but I could hear everything well. Turns out a diaphragm in my mike had deteriorated and although I was breaking in the channel. I couldn't be heard, even 20 foot away. $10.00 part. 

There are lots of situations where you might need the radio, but not necessarily the DSC - and if you have no voice, the DC will only help if you have it hooked up to your GPS source. 

You can always ask for a radio check on 16. Otherwise, as suggested find out what channel your marina monitors 

Me too.  I always do a radio check before I leave the harbor.  And I always respond back to people asking for checks.  Its a safety and courtesy thing.  I check my DSC maybe once a month or so.  Or If I change from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. 

Definitely an important yet quick and simple safety practice we should all do, but I too am guilty of not doing it much nowadays... It certainly isnt hard for a cellphone to suddenly crap out or go overboard..

Here in the Canadian SW section of the lake we lost a fellow angler, who was fishing solo in an aluminum boat last week.

It's easy to be lazy or complacent and we shouldnt need these tragic occurrences to help us reevaluate our on the water habits.

Always a radio check as soon as I'm on the lake . But ,never on channel 16 ,which is the hailing and emergency channel . Pick a recreational channel (68 or 72) for your check . Most boaters will reply as a courtesy . And don't ask the CG for a check they will ignore you unless you are on 16 , then they will tell you to shift your idle chatter to a different channel .