Fished Sacketts today

First started over in Henderson but was deadsville there.....tons of bullhead catfish everywhere and we did see some bass doing their business but we didn't see any pike and that was what we were after....So we took a quick ride over to Sacketts and we caught some huge pickerel today, quite a few of them. All went back in the water to be caught another day. We found it pathetic that this Jerk in Fox Creek would not let us launch there because we have a bass boat, wouldn't even talk to us....So if your an owner of a Bass boat you can't fish for any other species??? Talk about being stereotyped! We fish for Walleyes every bit as much as we fish for Bass back home in PA. Probably fish Walleye more! We come up to NY for 3 weeks every june....We do a full week of Pike/Walleye fishing in St Lawrence and Lake O, than 2 weeks of Bass/Pike fishing at Black Lake/Oswegatchie and Indian rivers. We spend a lot of our hard earned money here, it's a shame that your judged by the boat you own. From what we hear there has been a huge battle up here about bass season, and having catch and release. We must have been asked 5 or 6 times already if we are pre fishing for next week....then when you say your fishing for pike you get the "yeah ok, sure you are".....A guy at the marina said that to us today and i said hey Bud, not a single Bait caster on this boat, not a plastic worm or Jig on any of these rods, and even had steel leaders on some of our smaller profile baits, most rods rigged with stick baits, not exactly Bass baits now are they? Frustrating....anyway the Pickerel fishing was phenomenal today....Tomorrow we are gonna give black river bay a shot, going after Walleyes.  

post-146389-0-95181000-1434336514_thumb.png

post-146389-0-31199600-1434336582_thumb.png

Good luck in BRB I heard it has been on fire.  Charter guys have been doing really well on the eyes the last couple of weeks. I don't Bass fish until July but yeah they get hit hard for the $1000 grand prize tourney next weekend. Wish they would get rid of that catch and release bass up there, they are finally starting to make a come back.

Edited by Chas0218

There's no catch and release for bass in Jefferson Co until the season opens no? I fished henderson and BRB for several hours yesterday and didnt even have a bite. Trolled BRB for wallies saturday and got skunked there too....I'm ready to give up, been a very dismal spring for me so far

Heavy Winds chased us off BRB yesterday....we did manage a few nice Chain pickeral, and a few of those fish your not allowed to be targeting hit our Lures....then we snapped the prop off the trolling motor and had to fly down to Shumerhorn and throw a new one on. We got it done. We were disappointed that we did not get any walleye or Pike on BR or BRB.

There's no catch and release for bass in Jefferson Co until the season opens no? I fished henderson and BRB for several hours yesterday and didnt even have a bite. Trolled BRB for wallies saturday and got skunked there too....I'm ready to give up, been a very dismal spring for me so far

You're right but they allow people to do it instead of ticketing them. What else would a bass boat be doing in the shallows casting?

Sent from my thinking chair...

Well, we trolled (yes with a bass boat)(you can get rod holders for a bass boat) trying to pick up a few Walleyes, no go, so we went casting...yep casting in 6-10 feet of water....yes imagine doing that and NOT targeting bass, yes even with a bass boat. Because damn Pike are fun to catch!!! But, instead we caught several more nice pickerel.

Edited by Curt7234

I do not have as much experience as other guys with that area, but when I have fished up there I always seem to find large numbers of pickerel where the channels start to open up into the flats on the bays and there was good weed bed structure.  I never target them but I do catch them and they can make life interesting on what would be a slow day.

As far as the comments about being prejudged.  I get that too.  I think people assume what your intentions are by what you look like, what you drive, and what you wear.  It would be nice if we could all start judging others by actions.  Don't hold your breath for that.  Show up at any stream during a trout/salmon run with your buddy when he is wearing orvis green and you are wearing full camo and see how you get treated versus how he gets treated.  Camo means snagger or meat hunter while orvis means purist good guy fisherman.

Well, we trolled (yes with a bass boat)(you can get rod holders for a bass boat) trying to pick up a few Walleyes, no go, so we went casting...yep casting in 6-10 feet of water....yes imagine doing that and NOT targeting bass, yes even with a bass boat. Because damn Pike are fun to catch!!! But, instead we caught several more nice pickerel.

So were you casting senkos or swim tail jigs for pike? There are better baits for pike than those...just saying

My point wasn't that everyone that owns a bass boat is bass fishing but it's obvious the ones that are.

The only bait we used that could even be considered a bass bait was a swarming hornet which I believe your referring too. One of the best damn Pike baits you will ever throw!!! I've never thrown a Senko in my life, draggin a worm is not my style of fishing. The baits of choice were Shadow Raps and glass raps. But hey you have the answers.

WE Trolled Henderson with Rattlin Rogues but didn't get a bite....that was when we went to Sacketts and caught a bunch of Pickerel. We Trolled all around Cherry island in Chaumont Bay as well, we tried the drop off near the island which is like 18 feet, then we went 30 plus feet and not a sniff. 

I do not have as much experience as other guys with that area, but when I have fished up there I always seem to find large numbers of pickerel where the channels start to open up into the flats on the bays and there was good weed bed structure.  I never target them but I do catch them and they can make life interesting on what would be a slow day.

As far as the comments about being prejudged.  I get that too.  I think people assume what your intentions are by what you look like, what you drive, and what you wear.  It would be nice if we could all start judging others by actions.  Don't hold your breath for that.  Show up at any stream during a trout/salmon run with your buddy when he is wearing orvis green and you are wearing full camo and see how you get treated versus how he gets treated.  Camo means snagger or meat hunter while orvis means purist good guy fisherman.

BS. those weed beds aren't there anymore its a shame we used to crush the smallies there on live minnow, even on a SW wind blow you could catch nice eyes there also, that whole stretch out through there is gone. I don't know what ever happened but its a damn shame!!! Been about 2-3 years now. Tight lines to all PAP