SLR 1 for 1

Prof T

Let the rain keep me in last night so got on the water by 5:30 AM today. First two hours nothing fishing spot from previous posts.It has always been a better evening/night area.

moved to a "new" area and picked up one as the fog drifted in and out. Same deal, 8 oz BB with a thunderstick behind. Running into the current, speed over ground 1.1, water temp 56.3, 35 FOW.

Also pulled a flat line at the same time with a taildancer back 150 ft. Not getting good depth as I need to take the mono off of the used Daiwa 27HLC's I bought and downsize. Think I've got too much diameter. Any suggestions for line?

post-156305-0-52565000-1434377030_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-87501100-1434377064_thumb.jpg

I use 20 lb. braid with 20 lb. floro leader and fish it off a spinning rod as it s easier to cast it out behind the boat to deploy quickly. Also put heavy split shot ahead of deep diver. They don't have to be on bottom as fish often suspend. Caught them in 70 fow down 25 feet.

If you can get your hands on the precision trolling book there are dive curves and tables for line diameter versus depth. I don't have mine at home but Kevin's 20 lb braid i believe will gain you at least 5 foot of depth over 10 lb mono and prob at least 15 feet over 20lb mono....

Yea, I use the 30# power pro also, I have it on a Shimano 4000, like Kevin said much easier to cast, with 20# fluoro leader approx. 10ft oh I really like the ugly sticks for this type fishing. Congrats on your catch, seems like your getting a grip on it now!!!

If you can get your hands on the precision trolling book there are dive curves and tables for line diameter versus depth. I don't have mine at home but Kevin's 20 lb braid i believe will gain you at least 5 foot of depth over 10 lb mono and prob at least 15 feet over 20lb mono....

I have all the books, but they are in NY if you pm me you phone # I can call you. I have made copies of dive charts for other folks on here and mailed it to them.

Braid is strong stuff, but flouro leader is much more abrasion resistant. I'm starting to use baitcasters with metered braid for some trolling so i can cast out lures like Kevin mentioned. The depth hunter can be used on spin tackle also and is more accurate than a line counter reel.

Depth hunter is my favorite line. Awesome for flatlining sticks, without needing a line counter. Much faster to deploy the lures, which is helpful if you are only making a short trolling pass in a tight spot.

Went back out last night to finish what I had started in the AM. 1 for 2, but the fish just weren't there like they were a few nights ago.

Speaking of floro...with the zebra mussels on these rocky dropoffs, I'm good for about three trips and I get nervous with the damage and change. Last night was number three, hung up, drag too tight, couldn't reverse direction fast enough, favorite bouncer and lure gone.

post-156305-0-97053500-1434460287_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-42682200-1434460355_thumb.jpg

Nice eye Prof.T. The river will take what it can, I know jigging in the Black River in this one spot if your jig hits bottom your snagged, I don't know if there's heavy salmon line down there or what, I switched to light wire jigs they bend and usually release, then I just bend the hook back. Gets expensive after awhile!!

30' is no gain compared to the thin super braids...seaguar 20lb will get you bout 34 at 2,3,4,or even 5 mph. Even 10lb mono will get you about 30. Speed is only a factor in weight dependant trolling... ie lead core, copper, clip weights tho when they are combined with a deep divers clip weights become far less speed dependant. Precision trolling lays it all out for you in curves and explanation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app