Lamprey Eel treatment cancelled

Man....I was hoping they would get to it soon because those nasty things seem to be increasingly attached  to fish once again on Seneca when for a few years conditions seemed to be much improved over the "old days" but it may also be part of the life cycle and adult status too.

Les, I believe you're right on cycles. The treating does some dammage to those pesky critters. Have seen many small ones this year. Dec does a good job as far as those are concerned.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nick I fully agree that DEC does the best they can with it. The high water conditions always wreak havoc with their plans though and it looks like another of those years for it.  They aren't the easiest critters to manage either.

There are big changes about to happen in the fight against lampreys. Google "dead lamprey scent" and read how it already used in the treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

There are big changes about to happen in the fight against lampreys. Google "dead lamprey scent" and read how it already used in the treatment.

They have had this for some time , not sure why its taking so long to use it. Seems like it would be way cheaper and more efective...

They are making damn sure that there is no repercussions with the use of this treatment. I give them credit there, where before one thing did good but years later they found that it caused grief with something else.

They are making damn sure that there is no repercussions with the use of this treatment. I give them credit there, where before one thing did good but years later they found that it caused grief with something else.

Yeah but it seems using  "dead scent" should be pretty minimal risk, my guess is it would be derived from mostly if not completely natural resources.  From what I read they just want to steer the lampreys away from most streams using dead scent to repel them.  Then just leave a few smaller streams without the scent to actually get the lamprey and thus be able to target those streams using traditional methods to eradicate them.  Seems like big win because, less stream get the traditional chemicals, smaller streams need less of the chemical because of amount of water to chemical ratio thus saving money and there is now no exposure of the lampricide chemicals used in streams not treated is, thus lessening the risk to non targeted species.  Also add that since there are less streams with lamprey in them, and those that do get them will be in higher concentrations meaning more effective eradication and the cost ratio is better per lamprey treated.  Seemingly this is very good. 

Edited by pvelyk

It may even go farther. By netting the lamprey in these select few streams before they spawn, the population can be brought even farther down.

Personally I think the amount of them I have seen on Cayuga this year is great compared to recent previous years. I haven't seen a live one yet this year and the only marks on the fish we got Saturday were old, some fish had no marks at all. 

I'm not exactly sure if lamprey are in the creeks right now, but the spring high water flood events are the exact reason Cayuga is/was doing so bad. They are able to bypass the fish way when this happens and spawn successfully.

Edited by vogel451