1. Either 37.5%; Bright 25%; Dark 37.5%

2. Either 25%; Bright 75%

3. Bright 100%

4. Either 75%; Dark 25%

5. Either 85.7%; Bright 14.3%

6. Either 14.3%; Bright 42.9%; Dark 42.9%

7. Either 16.7%; Dark 83.3%

Thanx to everyone who posted or sent me e-mail:

(note: this is not an endorsement of anyone’s product. Merely an attempt to clarify the old adage: “Bright Day Bright lure – Dark day Dark lureâ€Â

Tom I have some stupid questions for you.Wouldn't most of these lures work in any condition if fishing shallow?And wouldn't some of these lures not work that great past a certian depth if fishing deep because of the loss of the color spectrum?I didn't post because I'm still in a learning curve but I had to ask.I only have a few of the lures you posted so I'm not sure what works better in what conditions.Thanks for any input.

Erin, Yes. I had a feeling some wouldn't respond because they had no experience with those color combinations. In all the responses, only with a couple of the examples was there an overwhelming majority and just about all of them had an “Eitherâ€Â

This is a great subject LL. Several Yrs ago I was fishing Keuka Lake. Marking all kinds of stuff but just could not get my regular stuff to go.There was another boat working the same area knocking the snot out of em. I finally tried him on the radio and he said "Try some red" I did and I finally ended up catching fish,they were deep like 100 down. I have never been back to Keuka ,I just thought it was a Keuka thing. I never run red deep its always been a rainbow ,brn trout spring color.Something to run high Ill have to give red another chance down deep.Im suprised you didnt get many responces to your original post.

I lost both my red vampires last yr.About 5 min. apart. I still have not found replacements.

Oh No !!!! Fish can't see anything red deep :lol: I have had good luck with reds and orange alot deeper that that 20' vis. to us range they talk about. The red vampire Nks , black and red or orange stripe, all black with red stripe have worked.

Fishstix - I am a little surprised that more guys didn't offer up their opinions on the board, especially from the charter guys, however I did get some emails.

Anyways, I found that with some lures, just a little dab of red works wonders. Maybe just a bead or a large red eye or maybe just a quick spray on the nose or tail. Sometimes a red LdrBk on a black spoon does the trick down 75+.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

thanks guys i just wound one of my lighter rods with cajun line (red) supposed to be harder to see than red lure or hook because light passes through it ....any thoughts .. i sorta had the afternoon set aside to iron some crinkled mylar on damaged flys and sharpen hooks, anyone try the red line in a scientific way comparing fish catches? and if ya used the same scientific bunch thats telling me we are in a global warming crises include that with your report.. I cant imagine how cold it would be if we wernt in the earls stages of record heat.. phew :roll:

Speaking of red, I've been using a large red "bubble" eye on most of my go to spoons, such as spooks, laser spooks, 42 second, glow frogs among others, for many years now. Also, put red bubble eyes on our meat heads,mostly glow frogs, purple and blues. Lastly, another red spoon the 51 Chevy first taped by Mike Ayotte from the Captains Cove is another one to try deeper than most would think. This spoon has been on fire before at depths of over 80 feet and deeper.

Probably because they dont come with them.They are all R&R's . They swim ok without them. In the right hand colum 3rd one down is the ole grape dot watermellon. Killer spoon. Ray I know your not to far off. I read one of your posts last yr. You said you were running 2.6 . That was my target speed also.

Ive found that when you are really rockin and rolling up there say threes and up you just cant get your speed right. Its optimiser time. Ive caught fish up to 4mph on optimisers. Very speed tolerent.I just ordered some more . black n purple and silver ,copper, black.

As far as the line color goes I know guys that run that high visibility green and catch just as many fish as everyone else.I have not had good luck with the florocarbon line ,but others have.

sometimes a picture tells a story i already noticed the paint was chipped off the front of that lure ;) the guyes that got me started trolling always stressed putting split rings on spoons as a flopping fighting fish can twist the spoon just right in the swivel during a fight and unhook the swivel.. 3yrs ago on seneca we were fishing togeather dan reminded of that as i hooked on a stinger without one... you know the rest of story .. :$ hooked a nice landlock thing was jumping bout the 3rd time nothing but a bent swivel not only unhooked but bent beyond use .....got me a pair of splitring pliers and a good supply of split rings ,,thanks for the lure tip though gives me a excuse to go to watkins for rnrs kindalight with sgl hook but those trebbles should calm em down sum, i use em mostly for sliders when i find a pod of steelheads , cohos,or smaller jacks but always looking for a new spoon to drown. didnt know tamerions could still be ordered ,,found bout 30 this year at a shop near pulaski for 1.00 each honey bees , optimisers,and northern kings too.

Longline,

Thanks for the reply back.Every thing I have learned over the years is dark-dark days and light-light days I always thought the red was lost in the spectruim at about 40 feet.So I never run that color but I do run spoons that have the red eyes on them so maybe I was doing something right :D .I still have so much to learn but with posts like this one and your other one I have learned alot Thanks.

Fishstixs,

Are all those spoons used all season long or are they just for a certian time frame.I see you have a few with blue in them isn't blue a good deep color or dark day lure?And if can ask what is the size of the treble hooks and what make?Thanks in advance.

I run that blue high on bright sunny days in clear water. The Little boy blue fly that got mentioned a lot on the old board got me thinking I should run more blue stuff.

The brn. we got in the red cross derby came on a little boy blue fly.Go figure that out.

You could be right on the split ring stuff also I never gave it much thought.I dont really like to mess with something thats working.