Finally..Erie Bound

Sluggo / NY

After being iced-off the river all winter and tied up every weekend since..I'm finally going fishing! Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures and reports after this weekend. We'll be fishing out of Barcelona. Hope the boys fishing the Southtowns tourney left us a few. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Hey there Sluggo keep us posted, headed there toward the end of the month, good luck and safe trip to & from, and on the water!!!

Not the crazy numbers or size we have seen in past years for the Southtowns, for us anyway, but we did pretty decent filling the freezer. Friend got into some better size fish on Sunday in 60-70' . Purple Bayrats- pink Renosky. Very few fish on meat. Good luck-

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'll be fishing out of Barcelona this weekend as well. Hit me up on the VHF. I'm in a white hardtop bayliner. I'll fill you in on the thermocline from my probe and let you know what's working for me.

Doug

Had trips on Tuesday and Wednesday. Plug bite with purple best. Silver bass were a pest. On Wednesday there was a lot of debris from the storms in 60/65 feet- some of it pretty good sized. Water temps up from where they were. Watch out for the junk as it was both east and west of harbor.

Good Luck Chris and everyone headed to Barcelona. 

We are hoping to head out July  5th-8th.  Hopefully you guys get em figured out and fill the freezer! That's what we are hoping for as well.

Pap,

When are you heading up there?

Fished hard all day yesterday..nada. Lots of boats out but most did no better than we did. The white bass were terrible.. had four on at once. We gave up on worm harnesses as you'd have a bass on before it was completely deployed. Not sure if we'll make it out today. Thunderstorms coming then west winds up to 20mph. Maybe tomorrow. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

We fished yesterday as well. From 5am-3. Landed 7 walleye. Averaging 8lbs and 32in. Also landed a bunch of lake trout and silver bass. The walleye bite was good if you could find the warm wAter. I used my fishhawk probe to find water 58 degrees or warmer down 40ft. And when we did the walleye action was good. All on stick baits. Purple and chartreuse Renosky and Thunderstucks.

I've always noticed that the walleye action doesn't pick up until 58degrees. Between 62-68 degrees and the action is usually on fire. These are down temps. Not surface temps.

Sounds to me like the probe played a major role as to fish or no fish. This is the third post I read today that the a probe made the difference between a good day and ok day, the reason I say "ok day" is because there is no such thing as a bad day when your fishing with friends or solo. Great post!!

I've always noticed that the walleye action doesn't pick up until 58degrees. Between 62-68 degrees and the action is usually on fire. These are down temps. Not surface temps.

Jigstick, when you say the fishing usually picks up at 58* then why is it on fire at 68, is 68 down temp? I'm by no means calling you out!! I'm always trying to learn, and you certainly got going on!!! Thanks for any feedback!! PAP PS. Walleye fishing can be mysterious!!!

I have only been logging surface and down temps for 2 years now. Because that's how long I have had my temp probe. And what my data is showing so far is that outside of shore fishing the spring walleye spawn, the deeper Erie walleye bite started to pick up when temps 30-40ft down reached 58 degrees. My log book has shown a significant spike in hook ups starting at 58 degrees. My hook up rate reached it greatest amplitude between 65-68 degrees, then leveled off and maintained the throughout the rest of the summer. And then fell off in the fall.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the bite, for me, only really turns on at 58. Between the 65-72 degree range the bite "maintains". Not getting any better. It's at its "peak" for me. Now all of this is dependent on your methods of fishing as well. Where you're fishing. How you're fishing. What baits you're using. Etc.

I have my own theories about why the Erie walleye out of Barcelona like those temps. Maybe my thinking is wrong. Maybe it's right. Maybe some of both. But everything else staying the same on my boat, the data from the temp probe log is showing me the pattern

Absolutely, I certainly wouldn't change a thing, thanks for sharing your info!! You guys have a first class fishery out there, there's far and few places that produce like Erie. You guys are sure lucky to have a fishery like that in your back yard!!!

As the water temperature increases the solubility rate of oxygen decreases. Where the dissolved oxygen is highest the metabolism and feed rates of the Walleyes are highest, the right temperature is the best place to catch Walleyes. Temperature is the factor for growth rates of Walleyes and around 48 F degrees the growth rate stops. They just maintain their size then.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When oxygen levels are depleted as under ice conditions when decaying matter consumes the oxygen and no stream runoff happens, fish will suspend to upper levels. Summer Heat and a lack of fresh flowing water cause the bottom oxygen depletion levels to occur.bottom dwelling fish will leave to upper warm water where the desired oxygen levels may be replenished by wave action.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app